Improve your English in the evening or on the weekend with one of our Con Ed (part-time) certificate program:
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Certificate Program
- English for Professional Success (EPS) Certificate Program
- Con Ed ESL Pathway to Post-Secondary Certificate and Diploma programs at George Brown College
The Continuing Education ESL courses will be delivered primarily through the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra course management tool, which allows instructors and students to interact face-to-face virtually in real-time. Students interact on Blackboard Collaborate Ultra with their instructors through private messaging, public chats, and emails. The learning experience is administered through interactive engagement via polls, discussion forums, and breakout rooms for peer-to-peer discussions. Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a user-friendly tool. Students will need to have access to a computer with an Internet connection to attend classes but will not need to install any software. The learning experience starts right from a web browser.
Continuing Education ESL remote teaching delivery mode offers:
- Scheduled classes/sessions with your teacher and classmates in Blackboard Collaborate.
- Timely support and guidance from your instructor.
- Ongoing formative assessments to evaluate academic achievement through quizzes, tests, oral reports, presentations, and written assignments.
- Final written and oral exams administered through Blackboard or supplementary educational platforms.
- Online access to language workshops and other academic resources offered by the College through a Tutoring and Learning Centre and a Student Success Team.
- Access to a variety of supplementary web-based language learning resources.
- Discussion boards to enhance writing skills and allow for peer editing.
Learn more about this program
Prerequisite(s)and Placement Test
Unless you are registering for ESL IA, you must come in for an English placement test to determine the level you should start in. You can also present IELTS (Academic) or TOEFL test results to the program coordinator and be admitted directly into the appropriate ESL level. The tests must be taken within the last six months and the test results must be submitted before the scheduled date of the placement test.
All the information you need to register for the course(s) will be provided to you on the same day of the test, along with your test results.
You must achieve a cumulative grade average of B (73%) or better in all compulsory courses.
There are two requirements for completing the certificate:
- Complete at least five (5) ESL courses at GBC;
- Complete ESL IIIB.
- If you take the level placement test and begin with ESL IA, you will need to complete all 8 compulsory courses (completed at least 5 courses; completed ESL IIIB)
- If you take the level placement test and begin with ESL IIC, you will need to complete IIC, IIIA and IIIB plus 2 elective courses (completed at least 5 courses; completed ESL IIIB)
If you have completed an ESL compulsory course at George Brown College within the last year, you can apply to start at the next level without having to complete a placement test.
Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, registration for returning ESL students as well as new students will take place online for the Winter semester (January 12 – April 24, 2021).
The IELTS exam preparation courses are designed for intermediate to advanced level ESL students who plan to do the IELTS exam (Academic or General Training module) and wish to achieve their desired score through in-depth practice of listening, speaking, reading and writing strategies related to the type of questions asked during the exam. Students benefit from authentic materials used in the class and the opportunity to receive feedback from instructors on performance as well as tips on how to improve their IELTS score.
IELTS COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
This course is for ESL students who plan to apply for a working visa, permanent residence in Canada, or Canadian citizenship and are required to submit a proof of English language proficiency as part of their application.
Visit our Continuing Education website to learn more.
Learn more about being an International Learner at George Brown College.
Visit our Continuing Education website to learn more about their policies.