How to get accessibility training
Completion of accessibility training is required by law and is a condition of employment at George Brown College. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, all employees, volunteers, contractors or others who provide goods, services or facilities on behalf of the college are obligated to complete the following training modules available on Cornerstone (My Learning):
- Working Together: The Code and the AODA (O. Reg. 165/16 s. 7)
- General Accessibility Requirements Module (O. Reg. 165/16 s.80.49)
- Accessible Customer Service Standards Module (O. Reg. 165/16 s.80.49)
- Accessible Information and Communication Standards Module (O. Reg. 165/16 s. 7)
In addition to the modules listed above, completion of the Accessibility Awareness Training for Educators module is a requirement for any "employee who is involved in course design, delivery and instruction." (O. Reg. 165/16 s. 16). The module for educators is a self-directed PowerPoint file.
- Accessibility Awareness Training for Educators (O. Reg. 165/16 s. 16).
Additional modules may apply to specific employee groups and should be completed accordingly:
- Accessible Employment Standards Module (to be completed by Human Resources staff, Hiring Managers/Directors, etc.)
- Design of Accessible Public Space Standards Module (to be completed by Facilities)
For ease of access, log in to Cornerstone (My Learning) and navigate to the “My Learning” menu. Select “Browse for Learning” and scroll down the list to locate the training modules applicable to your employee group. Please note, you may need to enable popups in your browser to access the modules.
Upon completion, a certificate for each module will be available in your Cornerstone (My Learning) transcript which is viewable to you and your supervisor.
Please note: the modules available on Cornerstone (My Learning) have been updated as of June 2018. Employees who have previously completed the mandatory AODA training will remain credited with their work. All new employees and any other employees who have not previously completed mandatory accessibility training must complete the new training modules, as mandated by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005, S.O. 2005, c. 11, in alignment with related college policies. Staff wishing to complete refresher training may access these modules as well.
Any students or members of the public who would like to complete this training are encouraged to access the modules available online on AccessForward and on the Ontario Human Rights Commission website.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the training requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.