Updated –September 23, 2021
Earlier this summer, Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and the College Employer Council (CEC) were in collective bargaining to renew the Academic Collective Agreement collective agreement. As of September 21, those negotiations are on hold as both parties investigate mediation to find some common ground and aim to reach a deal by September 30, 2021.
We know this process creates uncertainty. Student success is our number one priority and we'll provide all available information possible to our students and employees as quickly as possible.
Please continue to check this page for status updates.
STATUS UPDATE – ACADEMIC BARGAINING UNIT
- The academic bargaining unit represents full-time and partial-load college academics - teachers, counsellors and librarians.
- In February and March 2021, academic local demand-setting meetings took place at Ontario colleges where faculty were invited to submit specific changes to the Collective Agreement.
- In April 2021, delegates from the 24 Ontario colleges met to rank and vote on demands put forward by the locals.
- The bargaining team was announced in June by the CEC.
- Collective bargaining started in July 2021 – when union and management bargaining teams started to meet regarding the terms of the Collective Agreement.
- As of September 21, 2021, bargaining conversations are on hold as mediation efforts are investigated.
- Faculty’s Collective Agreement expires on September 30, 2021.
UPDATE - PART-TIME SUPPORT STAFF RATIFY COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT
- In August 2021, George Brown’s Part-Time Support Staff, along with Part-Time Support Staff from all 24 colleges in Ontario, ratified a new three-year collective agreement. This agreement was achieved through bargaining over the course of two days at the virtual table and was ratified with 89.4 per cent of votes being in favour.
- The part-time support staff bargaining unit represents individuals who work 24 hours per week or less in positions such as office, clerical, technical, health care, maintenance, building service, shipping, transportation, cafeteria, and nursery staff.