Updated – July 15, 2021
This summer, Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and the College Employer Council (CEC) are in collective bargaining to renew the Academic Collective Agreement collective agreement.
The collective bargaining process involves meetings between OPSEU, representing unionized employees at 24 colleges across the province, and the CEC, representing the colleges as employers.
We hope the parties will reach a deal by September 30, 2021.
We know this process creates uncertainty. Student success is our number one priority and we'll provide all available information possible to our students and employees as quickly as possible.
Please continue to check this page for status updates.
Status Update – Academic Bargaining Unit
- The academic bargaining unit represents full-time and partial-load college academics - teachers, counsellors and librarians.
- In February and March 2021, academic local demand-setting meetings took place at Ontario colleges where faculty were invited to submit specific changes to the Collective Agreement.
- In April 2021, delegates from the 24 Ontario colleges met to rank and vote on demands put forward by the locals.
- The bargaining team was announced in June by the CEC.
- The earliest date to give notice to bargaining is July 2, 2021 – when union and management bargaining teams will start meeting regarding the terms of the Collective Agreement.
- Faculty’s Collective Agreement expires on September 30, 2021.
Status Update - Part-Time Support Staff Bargaining Unit
- The part-time support staff bargaining unit represents individuals who work 24 hours per week or less in positions such as office, clerical, technical, health care, maintenance, building service, shipping, transportation, cafeteria, and nursery staff.
- As announced on June 28, 2021, the College Employer Council (CEC) has struck a tentative deal with the CAAT-Part-Time Support Staff, which is subject to ratification by the union membership.