Current International Students

Three International Students

Are you an international student planning to travel to Canada? Visit our Travelling to Canada page for more information.

Travelling to Canada


Students not residing in Canada are eligible for a credit/refund for the Student Association Health Insurance paid fees.

Health Insurance Waiver

How can we support you?

Located on the St. James Campus, the International Centre coordinates the College’s international student services and opportunities in order to provide the best support for students, staff and other members of our learning community. We’re here to support you on your road to academic success, no matter where you're coming from or where you're headed.

Services & Supports

Scholarships for international students are generally in-program and are often based on academic performance and other criteria.

Proof of Enrolment

A proof of enrolment or certification letter provides proof that you are a registered George Brown student and is required for a variety of application processes. To request a proof of enrolment letter you must have already submitted your study permit.

  • Your proof of enrolment letter will be emailed to you within two business days of the International Centre receiving your request form. If you apply prior to the withdrawal deadline, your proof of enrolment letter will be issued to you only after the withdrawal deadline has passed.

Submit Study Permit

Request Proof of Enrolment Letter

International Student Advising

For more in-depth advising or if you require more time to have your questions answered, please set-up an appointment with one of our International Student Advisors whose contact details are listed below:

Michelle Choi

Students in the following centres:

  • Preparatory and Liberal Studies
  • Construction and Engineering Technologies
  • School of Computer Technology
  • School of Fashion & Jewellery
  • School of Performing Arts

Michelle Choi


    Ali Agha

    Students in the following centres:

    • Hospitality and Culinary Arts
    • Community Services and Health Sciences
    • School of Media
    • School of Design

    Ali Agha

    Min-Jeong (MJ) Kim

    Students in the following centres:

    • Centre for Business
    • School of ESL
    • School of Early Childhood

    Min-Jeong (MJ) Kim 

    College -Wide Services

    There are a variety of services and supports you have access to at George Brown College, ranging from our health plan to career services and more. For more information on a few additional services you have access to, view the options below:

    Health Insurance

    Health insurance for international students is managed by the George Brown College Student Association. For more information on your health plan visit their Health Benefits Program webpage.

    Unless you have opted for an enhanced plan, you will be, or have been enrolled in the balanced Plan. Should you wish to move to an enhanced plan you need to make this choice each policy year prior to the deadline date of the start of your semester, at no additional cost.

    For more information please visit the We Speak Student website.


    George Brown Athletics offers fitness centres, fitness classes as well as George Brown College intramural sports teams.

    Transcript Request

    George Brown can provide students with official academic transcripts for applications, official documentation or other purposes. Transcript requests must be submitted in writing. Please find more information about requesting a transcript on the George Brown transcript webpage.

    Improving your English and Academic Assistance

    There are a number of ways to improve your English and/or get help with your studies:

    • Simply getting out and being involved, joining a club, a sports team, and attending events can be a great way to improve your English and make friends. Check the Campus Life webpage to get involved.
    • The Tutoring and Learning Centre (TLC) offers free tutoring services in English, ESL and math.
    • Peer Mentor + offers a collaborative environment for individual, group or team learning.
    • Attend the GBC Language Café to meet other students from around the Casa Loma campus and practice your English in a social way.
    Counselling & Student Well-Being

    Many students occasionally face difficult challenges, either in school or in their personal lives. George Brown College’s professional counsellors are able to provide free, confidential help for both academic and non-academic issues.

    To book an appointment with a counsellor drop by one of the counselling offices or email

    Career Centre

    The Career Centre offers a variety of services designed to help you achieve your career goals. These include workshops, an online job board and individual consultations with an advisor. You can learn more about these services on the Career Centre webpage.

    Inviting Family or Friends to Visit

    A friend or family member may want to visit you during your stay in Canada. In most cases, the friend or relative will be required to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada. Follow these steps when you want to invite someone to visit:

    • Write a Letter of Invitation: Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a guide for you to follow. This is only a guide – you must write the invitation yourself and your letter must be written in English. (In some cases the letter may need to be notarized).
    • Request a Proof of Enrolment Letter from George Brown International.
    • Send the letters to your invited person. They must include the letters with their Temporary Resident Visa application to their local visa office.



    Do you have any questions? We have answers. Visit our Ask George FAQs for answers to questions about admissions, registration, and student support services.

    Visit Ask George FAQ