In line with the College’s commitment to reduce its overall ecological footprint, the College has set the goal to minimize production of waste and to maximize recyclability and reuse options.
Collection Schedules (all Campuses):
- Building garbage (regular waste) is collected five times per week (Sept-Apr), and three times per week (May.-Aug).
- Recycling is collected three times per week (Sept-Apr) and twice a week (May-Aug).
- Organic (food) waste is collected three times per week (St. James Campus) including from Culinary Arts Program facilities, twice a week at Casa Loma Campus and Waterfront Campus.
Waste Diversion and Recycling
Hallway Recycling Containers:
- Hallway containers collect paper, cans, plastics and bottles for recycling, and regular waste. Please consult the “What Goes Where” GBC Recycling Guide 2020 to learn about the proper recycling practices.
Office Recycling and Waste Containers:
- As part of the College’s new office recycling guidelines, recycling (blue) and small waste containers will be phased out from individual offices. Instead, a paper recycling container will be installed in the printing/copier space or in another central space in each office area. Employees are asked to take waste and mixed non-paper recycling to nearby hallway containers.
Cardboard, including Pizza boxes:
- Cardboard is collected by Housekeeping. Please fold cardboard boxes flat before leaving them out in hallways for collection by Housekeeping staff.
- Food waste (organics) is collected from the College’s food service and cafeteria preparation areas, including from all of the Culinary Arts cooking labs.
Copier Machine Toner Cartridges:
- Xerox and other toner cartridges can be returned to Xerox for recycling. Please refer to the Xerox Toner Cartridge Return Instructions posted in the Finance and Business Services section of GBCommunity
- Printer toner and ink-jet cartridges (non-Xerox) can be returned to Shipping and Receiving where they will be returned for recycling.
- Used batteries can be taken to your Campus Shipping and Receiving Department where they will be stored and sent for recycling.
- Used electronic waste (“E-waste”) is collected regularly for recycling. Please complete the Electronics Recycling Form (Capital Assets Dispositions Form) posted under the Forms and Templates Section, Financial Services, at GBCommunity and send it to Stephanie.Foster@georgebrown.ca to arrange for pick-up.
- If necessary due to space constraints, miscellaneous e-waste can be stored temporarily by Shipping and Receiving.
Confidential Paper Shredding:
- George Brown College Archives Archives is responsible for all shredding from all departments, offices, and employees of the College. The College’s Records Management Policy Framework includes a procedures for shredding of confidential documents. For more information please contact Clay Thibodeau, ext. 4771; firstname.lastname@example.org
- For recycling, refurbishment or disposal of scrap metal, broken furniture, and other materials, please contact your Campus Help Desk Administrator to arrange for removal.