The Continuing Education ESL courses will be delivered primarily through the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra course management tool, which allows instructors and students to interact face-to-face virtually in real-time. Students interact on Blackboard Collaborate Ultra with their instructors through private messaging, public chats, and emails. The learning experience is administered through interactive engagement via polls, discussion forums, and breakout rooms for peer-to-peer discussions. Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a user-friendly tool. Students will need to have access to a computer with an Internet connection to attend classes but will not need to install any software. The learning experience starts right from a web browser.
Continuing Education ESL alternative delivery instruction offers:
- Timely support and guidance from your instructor.
- Ongoing formative assessments to evaluate academic achievement through quizzes, tests, oral reports, presentations, and written assignments.
- Final written and oral exams administered through Blackboard or supplementary educational platforms.
- Online access to language workshops and other academic resources offered by the College through a Tutoring and Learning Centre and a Student Success Team.
- Access to a variety of supplementary web-based language learning resources.
- Discussion boards to enhance writing skills and allow for peer editing.
The English for Professional Success Certificate Program is designed primarily for advanced non-native English speakers who wish to develop key skills for success in today's highly competitive, often challenging, Canadian workplace. The program teaches effective verbal and written communication strategies to expand participants' knowledge and linguistic ability, build confidence, and refine their practical application of techniques for optimal outcomes in professional exchanges interpersonally as well as cross-culturally.
The Certificate Program requires successful completion of three core courses in English for Professional Success and two elective ESL courses:
- ESL 9081 Canadian Workplace Culture: Expectations and Communication Styles
- ESL 9082 ESL Business Communication for Professionals
- ESL 9083 ESL Business Writing for Professionals