Advanced Standing, Transfer Credit and Residency

Main Content


Advanced standing provides credit to a student upon admission for courses taken previously in a related area of study, which enables direct entry into a second or higher semester of a program. Transfer Credits give a student credit for courses taken elsewhere that are equivalent to George Brown College courses.

Who can apply?

You can apply for advanced standing or transfer credits if you have credits from another college or university.

How to apply for advanced standing

To apply for advanced standing, complete your application form as follows:

  1. In section A, under the heading Additional Academic Information, check off the box marked “college/university transfer.” Include all relevant documents.
  2. In section B, indicate the semester or level you are applying to enter.

Search the Transfer Agreements and Opportunities Database for advance standing opportunities.

How to apply for transfer credit

Based on the post-secondary transcript(s) you submit with your application to OCAS, we may be able to pre-assess possible transfer credits which you will then see on your Offer of Admission and also the Admissions Summary Page.

Applications for transfer credit are submitted at the time of registration, after you have registered for your courses. An official transcript is required. If you have not submitted one with your admission application, you will be required to do so when you apply for a transfer credits. Course outlines are also required. See the Transfer Guide for more information about transfer credits.


25 per cent of the declared program of study must be earned at George Brown College. Advanced standing, transfer credits and credits earned through the PLAR process are not considered credits earned at George Brown and therefore are not credited toward residency.