Important Application Information:
Please click on the following to view a tip sheet on applying to a job posting via our new talent management portal, Cornerstone
- If you are a current employee or were employed at George Brown College in the last two years click on the following: Internal Instructions
- If you are external to George Brown College click on the following: External Instructions
You will need access to a computer connected to the internet and a valid email address to apply online for a position at George Brown College.
- For information on creating a free email account, go to:
www.yahoo.com - click on Free Mail – Sign up
www.google.com - click on Gmail - Sign up
You will be prompted to attach your resume and cover letter. Please have the documents available electronically to attach to your application.
- We highly recommend that you preview your documents to avoid spelling errors. This will ensure that your skills are entered accurately and made searchable in our database.
- You will need to set up a profile. Please keep a record of your login information as you will require it to access your application.
Employment Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the improvements that were made to the system and why did you need to make any changes?
We received feedback from many applicants that they have an interest to apply to multiple positions that are concurrently posted, so in order to provide for that option it was necessary for us to make the adjustments so that each application had a cover letter and resume specific to the posting.
How do I apply for a position that I am interested in at George Brown College?
You apply for a position through the George Brown College website where open postings are listed under the George Brown College Employment link. To apply for a position, click on the job category (Academic, Support, or Administrative).This will display the list of job opportunities in that category. Then select the job title you are interested in. You should see the full job posting; notice the link “Apply Now” is on the bottom of the posting, you apply through that link.
Does my resume need to be in a special format to apply online?
YES, but you have many options, you can use Microsoft Word, PDF, Text, and HTML and similar formats.
How will I know you received my application?
You will receive an email acknowledgement shortly after you completed your application for a position.
How do I identify that I am an internal candidate vs. an external candidate?
You will be asked to identify your work status at George Brown College on your application.
How do I know if I am considered an internal candidate?
There are two collective agreements at George Brown College: one for full-time Support staff and one for full-time and partial load Academic staff. Internal candidates are defined in each collective agreement.
How does the job competition process work?
George Brown College internal full-time employees receive first consideration in the application/job competition process. If, after reviewing these applications, an applicant with the necessary qualifications is not found, George Brown College will proceed to review other applications.
Internal applicants will initially be contacted by Human Resources concerning their applications. If you are a qualified internal candidate, you will be contacted by Human Resources to attend an interview. All interviews for selection of candidates are conducted by an Interview Committee.
The closing date for all competitions is usually one week after the date the competition is posted. If the position is not filled shortly after the closing date, the position may be posted on external job boards and the posting date would be extended.
Job postings are updated weekly, so we encourage interested individuals to monitor our posting sites regularly.
How will I know there are positions available?
Positions will continue to be advertised on the Employment Opportunities page on the George Brown College website. You will find the link to a new window that will open up the current job opportunities. As well, for internal notification, please call the “jobs” extension (ext. 5627) to listen to the weekly job postings. Employment opportunities will continue to be announced on the George Brown College Update as usual. For all open job competitions, you can visit the George Brown College website (www.georgebrown.ca) where open postings are listed under the George Brown College Employment link.
Do I need to go through the whole online questionnaire process each time I apply for a job at George Brown College?
Yes, you will need to go through the whole questionnaire process each time.
I am unable to apply online. What should I do?
We encourage all applicants to apply online. However, if you do not have internet access at home you can obtain access through visiting a local library. In the meantime, while you arrange to have access to the internet, you can fax your resume to 416-415-4115 or mail your resume to Human Resources, 500 MacPherson Ave. Toronto, M5R 1M3.
What types of positions are available at the college?
- Full-time Support Staff (OPSEU Collective Bargaining Unit)
- Non Full-time Support Staff (Initiatives & Opportunities positions, full time hours on temporary contract with an end date)
- Part-time Support Staff
- Full-time Faculty (OPSEU Collective Bargaining Unit)
- Partial Load Faculty (OPSEU Collective Bargaining Unit)
- Part-time Faculty
- Full-time Administration
- Contract Administration
What qualifications do you need in order to teach part-time at the college?
The college requires a minimum of a relevant post-secondary degree and current industry experience relevant to our programs as well as teaching or training experience. In addition, candidates must have excellent communication and human relations skills to interact effectively with the College’s diverse student and staff population. The ability to convey the conceptual and practical aspects of subjects to students, respecting their diverse backgrounds, experience and individual learning styles is essential, as is the desire to contribute to the education of the next generation of students.
What do you mean by this statement on your website and job postings “Credentials may require validation at the time of interviews”?
During the interview process credentials may require validation, depending on the country where the credentials were obtained. The college may request one of the following:
- Written permission received from the candidate to allow the college to contact the educational institution to confer the degree/diploma; or obtain verification of the degree through the National Student Clearing House in the United States or/and from Auradata for all Canadian credentials.
- All international candidates must have their original academic credentials evaluated from an organization recognized by the college (i.e. WES World Educational Services) to obtain a credential evaluation report for Canadian equivalency.
- Receive original transcripts sent directly from the educational institution to the college.
Who do I contact for more information?
If you require further information, contact the Human Resources Department at (416) 415-5000 ext. 4446 or email email@example.com.