What is an apprentice?
An apprentice is someone who learns a skilled trade on the job under the direction of a certified tradesperson. Apprentices also attend 'in-school’ training for two or three sessions, alternating with work.
Becoming an apprentice can be an important first step to learning new skills and building a rewarding career. There are many careers to choose from (see the list below). One of the benefits of an apprenticeship is you can earn while you learn.
How to become an apprentice
You must be employed in a trade to enter an apprenticeship program at George Brown College. There are a number of post-secondary programs at the college that will help prepare you to become employed as an apprentice.
All apprentices must register or renew their Ontario College of Trades membership. To register or renew your membership, please visit www.collegeoftrades.ca or call 1-855-299-0028.
Students will be required to have both an Offer of Training from the Ministry of Colleges and Universities and an active Ontario College of Trades membership in order to be registered.
To become an apprentice, you and your employer must register a Contract of Apprenticeship with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU). Approximately one year after registering with MCU they will send you an Offer of Training to attend the basic level of the in-school component of your apprenticeship. Only then can you attend an apprenticeship program at George Brown College.
The Toronto regional apprenticeship office phone number for the MCU is (416) 326-5800.
Apprenticeship training programs at George Brown College:
- Baker/Patissier Apprentice
- General Carpenter Apprentice
- Child Development Practitioner
- Construction & Maintenance Electrician Apprentice
- Construction Millwright Apprentice
- Cook Apprentice Download Cook Apprenticeship Brochure
- Hairstylist Apprenticeship
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) Apprentice
- Plumber Apprentice
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic Apprentice
- Residential Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic Apprentice
- Sheet Metal Worker Apprentice
- Steamfitter Apprentice