Frequently Asked Questions for Alumni

Main Content

Got questions?

Where can I take more classes outside of full time studies?

The Alumni Relations Office is dedicated to your career success and life-long learning. There are a number of ways to advance your career – including the pursuit of continued education, visit our Lifelong Learning Page to find out more details.

How do I replace my diploma or request for a transcript?

Requests for official transcripts must be made online at Requests submitted in person at any of our Service Centres will be processed by mail and cannot be produced immediately. This service is available to students and alumni who attended after 1995. 

How do I find out more about transferring my credits to a University?

A George Brown College diploma is a passport to further education at many local, national and international postsecondary institutions. Click here for a transfer guide that contains current transfer agreements and opportunities for George Brown College graduates and will be subject to change as new agreements and revisions occur. For complete degree information and admission procedures, please contact the postsecondary institution directly. 

How long will my e-mail account remain active?

For full-time students, one year after graduation. For other students, including Continuing Education students, one year after the last day of your last class. For more information visit the following Student Email Frequently Asked Questions.

What can I do if I forgot my password to my account?

Please visit the Tech Support Page for more information on accessing or retrieving your email / George Brown account.

How can I access career opportunities?

If you have graduated from full-time / part-time programs, you will be able to access GBCareers within one year of your graduation with your George Brown account. For alumni who have graduated more than one year, you can create a graduate account by entering the graduate portal here to access job postings and career services.

Where can I access my alumni ID for alumni benefits?

We are currently developing a new Digital Alumni ID for all alumni, please update your contact information at the Alumni Profile Centre to keep in touch with us so that you’ll be notified once it’s ready.

I am an employer, where can I promote my job opportunity to George Brown alumni?

Thank you for thinking of George Brown Students and Graduates for your recruitment needs, please create an employer account on GBCareers to start posting job opportunities for our students and graduates.

For more information on employer benefits, please visit the Employer Overview web page.

How can I access library services and gym as an alumni?

As a graduate, you will be eligible to use George Brown facilities, please visit the below pages for more information about alumni access:

Where can I get more information on the latest news, events and offerings?

We are looking forward to staying connected with you, and you are encouraged to sign up to the Alumni Newsletter here.

I am a recent graduate, and I have missed the convocation, where I can access my certificate?

Alumni Relations does not oversee the convocation or credential delivery to new graduates, please connect with for enquiries about certificates and transcripts.

What can I do if I don’t know what my student ID number is?

Please get in touch with the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000, or toll free 1-800-265-2002. You will be asked security questions to verify your identity.

Where can I update my email address and/or other personal details on my profile?

Please visit the profile centre to update your personal information, it will be updated after you have submitted the form.

Where can I submit a request for name change?

Please reach out to Registration Services at, you will be provided instruction to change your name on our records.