Dual Credit – Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about the Dual Credit program?

We've put together some of our most commonly asked questions below.

1. What is the goal of the Dual Credit Program?

The Dual Credit Program is a School/College/Work Initiative offered by George Brown College in partnership with the School Boards in the Greater Toronto area: Toronto District School Board, Toronto Catholic District School Board, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board, Peel District School Board and York Region District School Board.  The goal of the Dual Credit program is to encourage secondary school students to complete their secondary school education and to consider continuing on to post-secondary education; the program provides opportunities to explore career interests by taking specialized courses; and it assists students in making a  in making a successful transition to College and apprenticeship programs.

2. What is a Dual Credit?

Dual credit courses allow students who are still in secondary school to take one or more courses at a local college and earn both a high school credit toward their OSSD and a college credit from the college offering the course.
Students have the opportunity to:

  • Earn secondary school credits while studying at a local college or taking apprenticeship training
  • Gain experience that will help them with their post-secondary education or apprenticeship
  • Get a head start on learning and training for their future careers
3. Who is eligible for a Dual Credit course?

The Dual Credit program is aimed at students in Grade 11 and 12 who need learning opportunities outside of high school and who would benefit from a college or apprenticeship experience. This includes disengaged and underachieving students with the potential to succeed but who are at risk of not graduating from high school, and students who have left high school before graduating. It also includes students in Specialist High Skills Majors as well as students in college-delivered Level 1 OYAP programs. Students are selected by their secondary school principal, guidance counsellor, and/or Student Success team and must apply for the program before the start of the semester. Selected students will have: good learning potential, the ability to attempt college level coursework and regular attendance. Dual Credit students also should have successfully completed the Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) and be at least 16 years old when applying.

4. Who decides which students can take Dual Credit courses?

The secondary school principal decides in consultation with the guidance counsellor, teachers, student success team and the student and his/her parents.

5. How to apply?

Speak with the guidance counsellor at your secondary school well before the semester begins for details of the course offerings and the application process. Complete the George Brown Registration and Ministry Consent form and have a parent sign the forms and return the completed forms to your secondary school guidance counsellor. (Students who are 18 years old or over do not need a parent signature on the forms.)

6. Where are the courses taken? When do the courses start and end?

Fall semester courses begin in September and end in mid-December. Winter semester courses begin in February and end in late May. Courses are offered at four George Brown College campuses - the Waterfront Campus, Daphne Cockwell Centre for Health Sciences (51 Dockside Drive, near Union TTC station), the St. James campus (several buildings in the King and Sherbourne area, near King TTC station), Casa Loma campus (160 Kendal Avenue, near Dupont TTC station), the Toronto Metropolitan University Campus (99 Gerrard Street East, near Dundas TTC station) and the Young Centre for the Performing Arts at the Distillery District (50 Tankhouse Lane, Toronto, M5A 3C4).

7. How important is student attendance?

Success depends on regular attendance. Students are required to attend classes at the college and attendance records will be shared with the secondary school. During this period, students who are enrolled in courses at their secondary school in conjunction with a Dual Credit course are expected to attend both their secondary and college classes.

8. Who are the Dual Credit course instructors?

A George Brown College professor will instruct the students for the college credit course. Professors have the same expectations for secondary students as they do for college students. Professors have years of experience working in their field and are committed to student success.

9. How will students get to George Brown?

Students will be provided with TTC tickets by their secondary school and expected to arrive on time on their own.

10. How will the college credit be recorded?

Students will receive a college transcript with the course code, course name and final grade, from the George Brown College’s Registrar’s office. The college will send students’ grades to the appropriate secondary schools where they will receive a secondary school credit with special code provided by the Ministry of Education.
If a student later enters a full-time program at George Brown, the course credit may be applied as a general education (GNED) course exemption or program course exemption depending on the course that was completed. At any other Ontario community college, a GNED credit may be applied as an elective. (Note: College credit transfer policy varies from college to college/university.)

11. Is there a cost for the program?

There is no cost to the student. Funding for courses, textbooks and transportation is provided jointly by the Ontario Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.

12. How to succeed?

The passing mark for College courses varies by course. For most courses, the passing grade is 50% but make sure to check the passing grade for the course you select when registering. College level courses will usually have an increased amount of homework compared to a secondary school course. Students needing extra help for the course can speak to the professor or make an appointment with the George Brown Dual Credit Program Coordinator. Help in study skills, computer system use, library use, essay writing, peer tutoring and counselling is available through George Brown Student Services and secondary Guidance staff. Visit Resources for available services and contact information.

13. Are there services at George Brown for students with disabilities?

If you are a student with disabilities, please let us know. George Brown Accessible Learning Services provides assistance to students who have mobility, vision and hearing impairments; psychiatric/psychological disabilities; specific learning disabilities; or serious medical conditions. Specialized staff and resources are available. Our services are free and confidential.

Please visit the Student Life section of our website for more information about our services and the documentation George Brown may require from you. To arrange academic accommodations, explore disability-related resources, or learn more about our services, contact your Dual Credit Program Coordinator. They will be able to connect you with the appropriate departmental contact.

14. Do Dual Credit students receive a George Brown Student ID card?

Yes. Student Photo ID allows students access to the George Brown course and to places like the Library, computer labs and athletics facilities, as well as a number of services such as Peer Tutoring and Health Services.
As part of the registration for the Dual Credit program, students will fill out a registration and consent form at their high school. During the Orientation session, photos will be taken for Student ID cards. George Brown College Registrar’s Office will process the registration form and photo. Once this is done, students will receive their Student ID cards.

15. What if I decide to withdraw from the course?

Students must meet with their secondary school counsellor to discuss withdrawal from a Dual Credit course. If a decision is made to withdraw from the course, the secondary school counsellor informs the George Brown Dual Credit Program Coordinator who will arrange formal withdrawal through the Registrar’s office.

Please note: There is an official withdrawal date for each course. The official withdrawal dates for both semesters is halfway through the semester during Week 7. If a student withdraws after the official date, the mark received prior to withdrawal will be recorded on the student’s George Brown transcript and secondary school report card.

16. Who is the Dual Credit contact person at George Brown College?

Click here to find out who to contact: Dual Credit Program Coordinator

17. How do I get credit for my Dual Credit course(s) when I start attending college?

Students receive credit for courses taken at the college level and may get an Exemption after successfully completing a Dual Credit course at George Brown College or at another college. To get an exemption for a college course already successfully completed, students must present the course outline and transcript they receive at the end of the course to the Student Service Centre. They must also complete an “Application for Course Exemption Form” which can be accessed from the George Brown College website. Please note that the process may vary at different colleges.

Click here for a Course Exemption Application form and more information about the process.