Student Service Centres

While the college remains closed to ensure the health and safety of our community during COVID-19, all student service centres on campus are closed until further notice. 

Please send your inquiries by email to:

A one-stop Student Service Centre which houses Information & Student Services, the Office of the Registrar which includes Registration Services, Financial Assistance and Admissions..


We can be reached by email:
Information & Student Services inquiries
Registration Department inquiries.
Financial Assistance inquiries
Admissions inquiries

Main Services:

Adding/dropping courses/withdraw from program
Admission Inquiries
Confirmation of Enrolment & RESP Requests:

Proof of enrolment letters and RESP forms provide proof that you are registered at George Brown College. Requests for confirmation of enrolment letters and completion of RESP forms for Domestic Students will now cost $15 per request and are available by academic year (September – August).

For general information as to how to order these documents in-person or online, please visit our Confirmation of Enrolment, RESP & Education Verification page

International students should visit the International Centre page for information on how to request a confirmation of enrolment

Distribution of bursary cheques
  • Please present a government-issued photo ID and proof of your Social Insurance Number to pick up OSAP or any government funding.
  • Please present a government-issued photo ID to pick up a cheque.
  • Visit Financial Aid for George Brown College Students web site for more detailed information regarding bursary types and how to apply to them.
Financial assistance
General inquiries and program & course information

Refer to the Full-Time Program Guides to learn which George Brown College programs are still accepting applications for the upcoming Admissions intakes. International students, please visit the International Students page for more information. George Brown College has a Continuing Education course for you. Fit learning easily into your schedule by choosing from our evening, weekend, day and online classes. Courses start throughout the year. You can also visit the George Brown College main web page for all general enquiries.

OSAP status enquiry
  • You must provide government-issued photo ID, and, for some OSAP transactions, proof of your Social Insurance Number for all OSAP status inquiries.
  • More information about OSAP
Payments (tuition, locker, etc.)

You may be asked to present a government-issued photo ID or GBC ID.

  • Domestic Students (New and Returning): $500 deposit

International Students (New): The amount listed on your Statement of Estimated Fees
International Students (Returning): $4000 deposit
Please refer to your invoice for payment due dates and options. Please note that the deposit due date found on your invoice is earlier than the registration dates posted on STU-VIEW.

  • The following methods of payment are acceptable:
    • Pay online using a credit card.

Log in to your STU-VIEW

  • Pay through online/telephone banking, or in person at your bank:
    • Please select "GEORGE BROWN COL.-CUR.YR.-TUITION" as the payee. Your student ID is your account number
    • Please note: It can take 3-5 business days for the College to receive payments made by these methods. Payments must be received by the published due date.
  • Pay with Aeroplan® Miles through the program
    • George Brown College is now partnered with the program which allows students, family members, and friends to redeem their Aeroplan® miles to pay for their education at George Brown College.
    • Through this program, Aeroplan® members can redeem their miles and convert them in $250 increments to offset the cost of college. (35,000 Aeroplan® Miles = $250)
    • Once the transfer is received from, it will appear on your student account at GBC within 2-3 business days as a non-refundable cash deposit.
    • Please note: You can only convert Aeroplan® Miles online through, not at the front counter or via the other payment options.
    • For further details, please visit the HigherEdPoints website
Record inquiries
  • You can request Academic Records
  • If you are requesting a replacement of your credentials, please fill out the Credential Replacement Request Form.
  • Please present a government-issued photo ID or GBC ID card for the service
Referrals to other departments

To have the best answers for you, your enquiries may require other departments. The Information Specialist will provide contact information about the department referred to and the location.

Registering in Courses
  • If registering for a Continuing Education course, you can register online using a credit card.
  • Full-time students may register in STU-VIEW, should you have any difficulties please send an inquiry to the Registration Department.
  • For full-time students who need a Special Timetable, please contact your academic division regarding your registration.
Request an Official Transcript

If you attended George Brown College after 1995, official transcripts can now be ordered online using through our records website:

For further information including fees, processing time, and instructions on alternative ways to order a transcript please visit our Transcripts & Credentials page.

Student award inquiries
Student password assistance

Blackboard, STU-VIEW and OSAP

  • Please present a government-issued photo ID or GBC ID card for resetting Blackboard and STU-VIEW passwords
  • For an OSAP password, you must provide government-issued photo ID and proof of your Social Insurance Number.
Student personal information changes
  • Please present a government issued photo ID or GBC ID card
  • Please present a legal document for legal name change
  • Please make an appointment to discuss a preferred first name change

    For additional assistance, or if you are unsure who to contact for your inquiry, you may call our Contact Centre: 416-415-2000