Attention Returning Students: Mask Fit Test Service Suspension at ParaMed effective on March 9, 2020
- According to ParaMed Office last week, that due to the Coronavirus threat, the federal government and public health (specifically the Ontario Ministry of Health’s Emergency Operations Centre), have designated all mask fit test supplies to be held in case of pandemic. There is a severe national shortage of N95 masks and testing solution (no bitrix is available in Canada at present). The government will be controlling the distribution of supplies in case of pandemic and they are being prioritized to acute care, long term care and then community health as required. This is the situation right across the province and nationally, so all colleges and universities in Ontario are facing difficulties in getting their students mask fit tested.
- Unfortunately, as a result of this suspension, students with a ParaMed appointment starting on Monday, March 9, 2020 will not get their mask fit test done. The ParaMed RN will meet with students on their Initial visit to review and evaluate their Requisite Health Form documents and if everything is completed and done except the mask fit test, they will stamp your Health Form documents as a “E” means Exemption. ParaMed will track these students with mask fit test deficiency only and will continue to monitor the situation. Once things are back to normal and levels of mask fit testing supplies are re-established as directed by Public Health of Ontario, a process will be needed for students to return and come back to the ParaMed Office to complete this requirement and you will pay the Mask Fit Test fee of $43.56 dollars only and you will not be charged a Returning Visit Fee to get a final clearance stamp.
- For those students who already have their mask fit test certificate done and it is still valid for two years, you may disregard the above information. Should you have any questions, please contact me directly.
- If you are required to get the mask fit test done by your program, the Requisite/ParaMed Office will do this for you the same time you submit your completed Pre-placement forms to the nurse at your scheduled appointment.
- Requisite/ParaMed will only do mask fit test on Saturdays if there are at least 10 students booked an appointment on that day.
- To prepare for mask fit test, please do not eat, drink, smoke or chew gum at least one hour before and male students must be clean shaven.
- If you are pregnant or suspect pregnancy, you are not allowed to get the mask fit test done and we need a doctor's note in order for us to give you an exception.
- Children are not permitted in the mask fit testing area and they are not to be left unattended for any reason or for any period of time at Requisite/ParaMed.
- Requisite/ParaMed Office will only do mask fit test on Saturdays if there are more than 10 students booked an appointment on that day.
- You can obtain the Mask Fit Test from another company or thru your workplace, as long as you have proof of certificate that is valid every two years.
- Please do not go or book any appointment at St. Michael's Hospital unless the nurse at Requisite/ParaMed Office referred you to have it done there. ParaMed will provide you the St. Michael's Hospital Student's N95 Respirator Medical Questionnaire Form and you will pay them a fee for this service.
For students registered in (S102) Orthotic/Prosthetic Technician and (S407) Clinical Methods in Orthotic/Prosthetic programs, your mask fit test will be arranged and completed at Sunnybrook Hospital in September Intake and not required to be done or submitted at Requisite/ParaMed.
Should you have any questions, please contact Suzette Martinuzzi, Pre-placement Coordinator at (416) 415-5000 ext. 3415 email@example.com