George Brown College and Toronto Catholic District School Board have partnered to offer a School Within A College (SWAC) program since 2013. SWAC is a Student Success initiative to offer senior secondary students the opportunity to earn secondary school credits and dual credit “General Elective” college credits with the goal for students to complete their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and transition to post-secondary destinations. The SWAC program is normally based at the St. James campus near King and Sherbourne Streets in downtown Toronto. During the pandemic, the program has been based at Monsignor Fraser College, Isabella campus near Sherbourne TTC station.
WHO – SWAC Target Student Group
- Should be between the ages 17- 20
- Should have completed 22 credits
- Completed OSSLT or OSSLC (preferred)
- At risk of not graduating and/or disengaged
- Potential to succeed in college
- College and/or Apprenticeship bound
WHY – SWAC Opportunities
- Earn up to 5 credits in one semester, including two College dual credit courses
- Exploration of college life and post-secondary programs
- Adult learning environment in a College setting
- Instruction in self-advocacy, literacy skills, and learning strategies for preparation and transition into postsecondary education/pathway
- Opportunities to explore careers, develop skills, and discover Toronto
- Breakfast nutrition program access to College services, College ID card
- Presto card with monthly transit pass provided
- Explore postsecondary programs and other opportunities with a Student Advisor who also assists students with the application process. The Ministry of Education covers application fees to Ontario postsecondary institutions for all SWAC students.
WHEN – SWAC Recruitment
- There are two intakes during the year: September and February. Interested students should speak to their Guidance Counsellor or Student Success teacher at their secondary school. Contact Matthew Candiotto, Pathways Facilitator for Student Success, Toronto Catholic District School Board by email at email@example.com. All recruitment is done by Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) staff.
Summer SWAC programs at George Brown College
Typically, we offer a Summer SWAC program during the month of July. High school students who are close to graduating can earn two credits toward their OSSD by taking a Dual Credit College course along with a high school course. During July 2020 and 2021, we are offered an online Summer SWAC program. Students took Grade 12 College English along with a dual credit college course. Students who successfully complete the Summer SWAC program earn their Grade 12 English credit as well as a college credit and an additional high school credit for passing the college dual credit course.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Shelagh Taber Walsh
Coordinator of Educational Projects
Community Partnerships Office
SCWI Program Coordinator
Community Partnerships Office