Information for International Students

If you would like to complete a work term as an international student, there are additional things you need to have in place before you can begin. We have outlined them below.

Co-op Work Permit

All international students require a co-op work permit during their work term semester. It is important to start the application procedure well in advance, or you may not be able to start your work term on time.

Here are some important things to remember:

  • Some international students will receive their Work Permit when they arrive in Canada – at the airport – some will be required to apply for a Work Permit.
  • A part-time work permit is NOT a co-op work permit.
  • Your co-op work permit is only valid until the end of your work term semester; you can’t work co-op hours after the end of the academic semester.
  • You can begin applying to co-op opportunities without your work permit, but you won’t be able to start your work term without it.


Apply for your Co-op Work Permit while in your Work Experience Prep course prior to your Work Term. A valid Co-op Work permit is required for your work term.


To apply for a co-op work permit, students will need a Co-op Work Permit Support Letter to apply for a Co-op Work Permit. Letters are issued by the Co-op Office during the first few weeks of the semester students are enrolled in Work Experience Prep.

  • Applications must be completed online only. A valid copy of your work permit must be submitted to the Co-op Office prior to the start of your work term.

International Services at George Brown College

Concerns or questions regarding Co-op Work Permit and SIN should be directed to the International Centre or to contact IRCC– Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Extending your co-op work term permit

Co-op work term permits vary in length. If you need to extend your co-op work term permit, please connect with the International Services office.