The Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards are presented to graduating George Brown College students who have demonstrated significant leadership and commitment to their community, both inside and outside the classroom.
The inaugural Michael Cooke Leadership Awards were awarded at a ceremony in April 2014.
About the Awards:
The Michael Cooke Leadership Awards were established in honour of Michael Cooke, who served George Brown College for 18 years in various leadership positions. Most recently, Michael was Vice President, Academic (2000-2011) and concurrently assumed the role of Vice President, Advancement from 2009-2011. During his time at George Brown, he worked tirelessly to ensure that each student enjoyed a rich and rewarding experience at the college. The Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards honour Michael’s spirit, work ethic and dedication to community.
Nominations have been extended to Friday, May 8, 2020
George Brown College faculty, staff, alumni and students may nominate any current student meet the following eligibility guidelines:
- Recipients must be currently enrolled at George Brown College in either a full-time or part-time program. To be eligible they must:
- Have completed their program and graduated in August 2019 or December 2019, or will be expected to graduate as of April 2020 or August 2020
- Be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (C+). Nomination packages for those who do not meet this standard must be accompanied by a letter of appeal signed by the candidate’s nominator detailing why the candidate should still be considered. Exceptions will only be granted under justifiable circumstances.
- Students must have completed volunteer services for the college and/or the wider community. Students who have for-credit (e.g. student placement) or paid work (e.g. peer mentoring) that they participated in and for which they went above and beyond the expected requirements to demonstrate significant leadership and commitment to enhancing the student experience at college or bettering their community may also be considered only if the student has also completed volunteer services.
- Students are only eligible to receive the Michael Cooke Student Leadership Award once in their academic career.
- Please note that there is no financial component to the Michael Cooke Student Leadership Awards. Winners will be presented with a framed certificate by GBC President Anne Sado, VP Chris McGrath and Michael Cooke.
- To nominate a student, please download the form below, read the instructions carefully and submit the nomination package via email to Nik-Keisha Moodie at email@example.com