Main Content

Accessible Learning Services (ALS) works with students to determine academic accommodations based on disability-related needs, as described through self-report and documentation provided by the student. 

Accommodations are provided to students with both temporary and permanent disabilities. Students who are in the process of being assessed by a health-care provider may be eligible to receive interim accommodations. We also provide support for students who suspect they have a disability. 

Required Documentation

In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, you are not required to disclose your specific diagnosis to Accessible Learning Services to receive accommodations. However, documentation outlining the functional impacts of your disability is required and will help us understand your strengths and challenges so that we can determine the most appropriate accommodations to support your learning. If you do not have documentation, please contact us at and we will review options to support you.  

All documentation submitted to Accessible Learning Services is treated as strictly confidential. We will not provide your disability-related documentation to a third party unless you request, in writing, that we do so. 

Types of documentation by disability

If you are a student with a learning disability, autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or mild intellectual disability (MID) please provide the following: 

  • A copy of your most recent psychoeducational assessment and/or a copy of your latest Individual Education Plan (IEP). 

If you are a student with ADD/ADHD, a brain injury, Deaf or hard of hearing, or have a medical condition, mental health condition, mobility impairment, or visual impairment, please provide the following: 

OSAP, grants and bursaries 

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) provides some financial aid for students with disabilities, such as additional tuition funding and access to a bursary to support covering approved educational costs. Verification of a permanent disability through OSAP will be needed to access the Bursary for Students with Disabilities (BSWD) and the Canada Study Grant. 

For further information about OSAP and paying for college, please contact George Brown College Financial Aid.