Frequently Asked Questions - Current Students

The Guide to Students' Most Frequently Asked Questions

A-Z Subject Index

Academic Calendar
Accessible Learning Services
Adding and Dropping Courses
Advanced Standing
Advocacy Services
Apply to the College (see How to Apply)
Assessment Tests
Awards - see Student Awards Office

Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)
Bookstore Refund Policy
Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards

Calendar of Important Dates
Campus Jobs
Career Services
Certificates - see Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Records
Changing the information in your college student record
Class Cancellations
Child Care Services
Counselling Services

Dates - see Important Dates
Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Services
Dropping Courses
Degrees - see Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Records
Diplomas - see Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Records
Disability Services – see Accessible Learning Services
Dropping Courses

Education Verification - see Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Records
Electives see General Education Electives (GenEDs)
Emergency Funding
Exemptions - see Transfer Credits

Financial Assistance

General Education Electives (GenEDs)
GO Transit Passes
Graduation - see Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Records

Health Insurance
Holds on Students' Accounts
How to Apply

ID Cards
Important Dates
International Students

Late Admits
Liberal Studies Electives
Library Learning Commons

Name Changes

OCAS (Ontario College Application Services)
Orientation for Programs
OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)

Photo ID
Password for Students
Password for Faculty/Staff
Peer Mentor +
Placement Testing
PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition)

Registration - Frequently Asked Questions
Replacement Diplomas/Certificates

Special Timetables
Social Events - Campus Calendar
Special Timetables - see Timetables
Student Associations
Student Awards Office
Student Identification
Student Life
Student Records

Testing - Assessment and Placement
Transcripts (Official and Unofficial)
Transfers for Continuing Education Students
Transfer Credits
Transit - Local
Tuition Fees


Note: For official college policies see:


Accessible Learning Services

Accessible Learning Services provides academic supports and services for all George Brown students with physical, sensory, learning, medical or mental health disabilities. 

If you are a student with a disability, your first step is to register with Accessible Learning Services. Students seeking Accessible Learning Services for the first time, can contact with questions and to share disability documentation. After you have registered, our accessible learning consultants will talk to you about how to accommodate your learning needs.

Please contact our Welcome Desk at to book an appointment by phone, Teams or by email.

For more information, visit the Accessible Learning Services webpage.

Adding and Dropping Courses

Most students can add/drop courses online through STU-VIEW. To add/drop a course online, log in to your STU-VIEW account, then select Registration Services > Registration > Register for….

You may then select courses to add to your timetable, or de-select courses that you wish to drop from your timetable. To submit your new selection, click on the 'Submit Registration' button and then agree to important college policies. You will then see a confirmation page with your updated courses

Important Notes:

  • It is your responsibility to ensure that your course registration is accurate. After adding/dropping courses, please check your confirmation page and/or your timetable to ensure that the correct courses have been added/withdrawn.
  • If you stop attending a course but do not officially drop or withdraw from it, you will receive a failing grade (F) for that course on your college transcript.
  • Dropping a course may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, may impact your eligibility for financial assistance (OSAP) and/or Student Association Health Insurance. Normally, a full-time student is defined as someone registered in at least 66 2/3% of a full course load in each semester. You may have to return an OSAP loan if your status changes to part-time.
  • Students may add courses to their timetables up until the fifth day of classes in the semester, space permitting. Students may drop courses from their timetables up until the Last Day to Drop a Course without Academic Penalty. Please see the Important Dates webpage for exact dates.

Other related links:
Withdrawal and Refund Policy for Domestic Students and International Students


In some cases (i.e. for specific programs), you will be asked to seek Academic Advising prior to dropping courses. If you cannot drop courses online, please contact your Academic Department.

If you need to add a course to your timetable that is not available to you online, you will also need to contact your Academic Department. If approved, you will be set up to register online for the additional course(s) by your Academic Department. Please note that additional fees may apply.


Returning students who require a special timetable will need to contact their Academic Department for assistance. Please note that additional fees may apply.

Students with special timetables may not be able to add and/or drop courses online. Instead, you will be required to speak to an academic advisor prior to dropping and/or adding courses to your timetable.

Advanced Standing

Students applying for advanced standing are seeking admission to a semester higher than semester one for a particular program of study. Upon admission, a student who has been granted advanced standing is given credit for previously-completed courses in a related area of study, which enables direct entry to an upper semester of the program.

For more information, visit the Advanced Standing section of our website or contact the Admissions Office at

Advocacy Services

Can I get assistance with the resolution of a College-related issue?

Yes, for assistance with resolving college-related issues, you can get in touch with the Student Academic Support Program (SASP) or Counselling Services.

Student Academic Support Program (SASP):

  • The Student Association's Student Academic Support Program (SASP) is dedicated to providing students with the guidance and support for academic appeals and to resolve academic issues face during the course of studies at George Brown College.
  • You can reach them at:
    • Academic Support Hotline (416) 415-5000 ext. 6320
    • Academic Coordinator (416) 415-5000 ext. 6377
  • For more information, visit the Student Association website: Student Academic Support Program

Counselling Services:

  • Counselling Services provides students with advice on College policies, procedures, rights, responsibilities and also general guidance on how to resolve complaints and where inquiries should be directed.
  • For more information, visit the Counselling Services website or email

Assessment Tests - Math/English/Science

Please visit the Assessment Centre website for up-to-date information on assessment and placement testing.


Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)

Better Jobs Ontario is a Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) program that supports laid-off individuals who require skills training to assist them to find employment in demand occupations in Ontario. Through Better Jobs Ontario, applicants may obtain assistance with tuition, books and supplies, transportation, living, and other expenses associated with training. Please visit Better Jobs Ontario for more information.

Advising services for Better Jobs Ontario-funded students are available through the Community Partnerships Office (CPO). Better Jobs Ontario Program Officers provide guidance to students on a wide range of related resources and issues and coordinate with other relevant departments at the College to improve the Better Jobs Ontario student experience.

Better Jobs Ontario Program Officer
Community Partnerships Office
264B Adelaide Street East
St. James Campus
416 415 5000 x 3714 or 6995

Visit Better Jobs Ontario

Bookstore Refund Policy

Please refer to Campus Store Refund Policy

Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards

What kinds of bursaries, scholarships and other financial awards are offered at George Brown?

Through very generous contributions from individuals, organizations, and companies, George Brown College is able to offer various scholarships and awards to students. These are based on financial need, academic merit, and/or college/community involvement.

Applications for awards, scholarships and bursaries are available through the Student Awards portal on STU-VIEW.

Awards are considered part of a student's taxable income for the year. The college will issue T4A forms to all recipients in the spring of the year following the year in which the award was paid.

Scholarships, awards and bursaries are subject to change without prior notice, and are subject to conditions as may be set down by the college and/or the organization or individual offering the award.

For questions regarding bursary and scholarship programs, contact the Awards Office. Awards are also listed on the Awards and Scholarships Application Information page.

George Brown College Student Assistance Fund

Through funds set aside from tuition fees paid by all full-time students, the College offers bursaries to students who demonstrate financial need. Bursary applications are available on STU-VIEW in Fall, Winter and Spring semester. The deadline to apply is in the last week in September (for Fall semester), the last week in January (for Winter semester), and the last week in May (for Spring semester). We advise you through STU-VIEW or e-mail as to the results of the bursary application. Bursaries are non-repayable but are subject to tax depending on amount awarded.


Campus Jobs

Please see Financial Assistance, Work-Study Program.

Career Services

Did you know that we work closely with students from the time they begin their studies at GBC? We help guide students in their career development plan so that they are confident and prepared for employment success when they graduate. Our services include:

  • Developing a clear career direction; career options available, pathways, skills required and labour market information
  • Identifying and developing essential employability skills; including teamwork, communication and problem solving
  • Online resume & interview coaching
  • Social branding-marketing yourself with potential employers, including using social marketing effectively
  • Many opportunities to network with employers

Visit our Virtual Career Centre Community on Blackboard to speak with a person, stay up to date on our upcoming webinars and online events, access resources and past webinars, and receive drop-in peer career support. Click here for instructions on how to enrol.

Questions? Email us at or call us at 416-415-5000 ext. 5301 (M-F 9:00 am – 4:00pm).

For more information, see Career Services

Changing the Information on Your Student Record

See Student Records.

Child Care Services

Does George Brown College have child care facilities?

George Brown College operates 12 child care centres in various locations across Toronto. A limited number of child care spaces are available to George Brown students. Since spaces are limited (especially spaces that are subsidized by the government), applications should be submitted early.

For more information about child care, call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2359 or visit the Child Care Centres webpage.

Class Cancellations

How do I find out if my class is cancelled?

While every effort is made to ensure that scheduled classes run on time, unforeseen circumstances such as illness or accidents sometimes cause class cancellations. In this case, every effort is made to contact students.

To find out if your class has been cancelled, you can:

In the event that advanced notice is not possible, cancellation notices will also be posted outside classrooms.

How do I find out if the college is closed?

To find out if the college is closed due to bad weather or other circumstances, you can:

  • Check our website at
  • Listen to local radio or television stations
  • Call the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000, 1-800-265-2002 (Toll-Free), or 1-877-515-5559 (TTY)


I don't have a computer. Are there computer labs on campus?

Desktop computers are available for use at all library locations on a first-come, first-served basis.

Laptops, wifi hotspots, and iPads can be borrowed for up to 7 days, with the possibility of two renewals (subject to availability). In addition, designated laptops are available for same-day use (up to 8 hours, or until the library closes).

Check the hours for a library location before visiting.

How can I get access to specialized software for my program that I cannot run on my own computer?

The library has a service that enables some students to remotely access software on desktop computers at library locations from home, using your personal computer or a laptop loaned from the library.

Remote Computer Access is limited to students who are in programs that require specialized software. To check eligibility, you can submit a ticket with GBC Assist, or ask your instructor if your course has been enrolled in the library’s Remote Computer Access program (Labstats).

Counselling Services

Being a college student can be really difficult – for many reasons!

Being a college student is challenging, whether you have just finished high school, are a mature student, or an international student. There are so many pressures and stresses! Sometimes it helps just to talk about it. Counselling is a supportive, free, confidential service, offered at every campus. To learn more about ways we can support you, please visit our website.


Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services, Accessible Learning Services

If you are Deaf or are hard-of-hearing, a range of services is offered including American Sign Language interpreting, notetaking, tutoring, modified course load, and/or adaptive technology, depending on your needs.

As soon as you are registered as a George Brown student, please contact the Accessible Learning Services Office to fill out an intake form and meet with an accessible learning consultant to arrange your academic accommodations. Some of our accessible learning consultants are fluent in ASL. You will find an intake form at Accessible Learning Services.

Deaf and Hearing Services – Accessible Learning, Office locations:

St. James Campus (SJA), Room 173B-A
(416) 415-5000, ext. 4654
TTY at 1-877-515-5559

You can also reach the office by fax at (416) 415-2161 or by e-mail to Karen Walker, Accessible Learning Consultant.

Disability Services

Please see Accessible Learning Services.

Dropping Courses

Please see Adding and Dropping Courses.



Please see General Education Electives


Every full-time George Brown student receives their own college email account. This is where you’ll receive important college notifications, so it’s important that you check your George Brown email frequently.

To log into your college email account, go to and enter your student ID number as your user name and enter the password you received with your registration package.

For more information about your college email account, see Student Email Support.

Emergency Funding

I am experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties. How can I get immediate financial assistance?

Limited emergency funds may be available if you are facing unforeseen financial difficulties as a result of injury, theft, or illness. Speak to a Financial Assistance Consultant at your campus. The bursaries are non-repayable but are subject to tax depending on amount.


Financial Assistance

Also look under the following specific sections in this document:

Work Study Program

The George Brown College Work Study Program provides students with part-time employment opportunities throughout the college. Students can gain valuable experience working up to 15 hours a week at minimum wage. Students locate their own job with any of the on-campus departments (for example: athletics, academic departments, library, etc.), complete a Work Study Program application form with the employer which will then be submitted to the Financial Assistance Office by the employer. Many of the jobs are posted on the GBCareers website. Students can start work once their Work Study application is approved by the Financial Assistance Office.

For OSAP students: Remember that income earned during the school year from any source, Work Study Program or not, legally must be reported to the Financial Assistance Office and may impact your OSAP funding, either during the current school year or in the future. Applications and information are available through the Financial Assistance Office.

Please Note: International Students and Better Jobs Ontario Recipients are not eligible for funding under the Work Study Program.

For questions regarding Work Study please call 416-415-5000 ext. 2488.

Are there other campus organizations that will help me find work, prepare a résumé, etc.?

From career workshops to an online job board to individual consultations with an advisor, Career Services is here to help you succeed wherever you may be in your career or academic journey!

Log into the GBCareers and Field Education website to:

  • Search and apply for full-time, part-time, volunteer, field education, co-op  and on-campus positions
  • Book career advising appointments
  • Register for career workshops, events and employer information sessions
  • Access resources such as tip sheets and career links

For more information about Career Services – including our Virtual Career Centre – please visit:

The Peer Mentor + Program

The Peer Mentor + Program has a number of positions available if you are a full-time student in a post-secondary program who has completed at least one semester of study. Peer coaches run workshops, lead events and activities and provide guidance for students in learning techniques, time management and wellness at Peer Mentor + Program. These positions usually pay $14 per hour, and allow you to work up to a maximum of 15 hours a week depending on your schedule and the demand for service.


General Education Electives (GenEDs)

What is General Education?

General Education courses are a vital component of all post-secondary certificate and diploma programs. These courses are designed to enable students to enhance their critical thinking and analytic reasoning skills and to broaden their knowledge and experience through the study of arts and humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. By learning and collaborating with peers in a variety of programs, students develop communication, teamwork and problem-solving skills that are essential in their personal and social lives and highly valued in all career fields.

What are the General Education requirements at GBC?

Students in diploma programs are required to take four General Education courses. General Education courses are grouped into three broad categories: Arts and Humanities (coded as GHUM), Social Science (coded as GSSC) and Science and Technology (coded as GSCI).

According to college policy, students must take General Education courses from at least two of the three categories in order to graduate. This policy is called the General Education breadth requirement. Students are responsible for ensuring that the General Education electives they take fulfill the breadth requirement.

In most diploma programs, there are one or two mandated General Education courses (in other words, General Education courses that the program has decided all students must take), and the remaining two or three courses are electives. If your program's mandated General Education courses are from the same category (e.g. both GSSC), you must choose at least one elective from a different category in order to fulfill the breadth requirement. Students in certificate programs are also required to take General Education courses, but the breadth requirement does not apply.

Each program selects specific semesters in which students are scheduled to take General Education electives. To find out when you will take electives in your program, please check the "course outline" link on your program's web page.

Before you choose an elective, please check the General Education requirements for your program here.

How do I choose a General Education elective?

First, check the General Education requirements for your program to find out whether you need to choose an elective from a specific category in order to fulfill the General Education breadth requirement.

Next, check the list of electives that are offered to students in your program. You can do this by logging in to your registration page through STU-VIEW – the list of elective offerings is below the list of program courses – or by going to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives. In the "Current Elective Offerings" section, click on the name of your campus (Casa Loma, St James or Waterfront) and then look for your program in the elective package.

To read descriptions of the courses offered, go to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives and look for the Course Descriptions section. The descriptions are organized by category: Arts and Humanities (GHUM), Social Sciences (GSSC) and Science and Technology (GSCI).

How do I apply for an exemption from a General Education elective?

If you have completed General Education or Liberal Studies courses at another post-secondary institution and you earned a grade of 60% or higher, you may be eligible for exemption from one or more of your electives.

For information about how to apply for an exemption/credit transfer, please go to General Education and Liberal Studies Electives

What if I didn't take an elective in the semester when it was required, or I failed or dropped an elective?

If you do not take an elective in the semester when it is required in your program, or if you dropped or failed an elective, you may need to pay additional fees to take the course in a later semester, and your elective options will be reduced. There are specific elective registration dates for students who are taking an elective outside of the semester when electives are offered in their program. These course offerings are also subject to availability. It is strongly recommended that you take your electives in the semesters during which your program schedules them.

GO Transit Passes


Full-time George Brown students are eligible for GO Transit student fares via the PRESTO card, where you can save over 15% on travel via GO Rail and GO Bus. Further details on GO's Student ID program can be found on the GO Transit website.

Applications for the 2022-2023 Academic Year will be available online starting on August 30, 2022 at the GO Transit website. 

The approved GO Transit Student ID will be emailed to you and will be required for fare inspection. Upon receipt of the approved GO Transit Student ID please visit any GO Transit Ticket Counter or Select Customer Service Outlets to set the student rate on your PRESTO card.

For more information on passes or schedules, the GO Transit information line can be reached toll-free at 1 (888) GET ON GO (438-6646); or online at the GO Transit Website


How do I view my grades?

To view your grades, log into your STU-VIEW account and select Academic Records > View Grades. 

See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades).


Health Insurance


The Student Association of George Brown College offers a Student Health and Dental Plan. All student questions/concerns should be directed to the Student Benefits hotline at (416) 415- 2443, by email or via LiveChat on the Student Association website.

Note: The Student Benefits Plan opt-in/out deadlines for 2022-2023 are as follows:

  • Students starting in September: October 6, 2022
  • New Students starting in January: February 2, 2023
  • New Students starting in May (International Students Only): May 25, 2023

For Family enrolment, the deadline for submitting these applications along with payment is October 6, 2023 for September 2022 enrolment, and February 2, 2023 for January 2023 enrolment. No applications will be accepted after the posted deadlines.

Holds on Students Accounts

How do I correct a financial or academic hold on my student record?

For financial holds, contact the Accounts Receivable department at 416-415-5000 ext. 4408. For academic holds, contact your academic office.

For financial holds, contact the Accounts Receivable department:
Astier Ghebrehiwot 
(416) 415-5000 ext. 4408

For academic holds, contact your Academic Departments for assistance. 


Is there an on-campus residence at George Brown College?

Yes, George Brown College has a student residence, The George, located at 80 Cooperage St., Toronto. The residence is located in downtown Toronto, next to the Distillery District. It is a short walk away from the St. James and Waterfront Campuses, and less than 40 minutes via transit to the Casa Loma Campus.

You can apply for a residence spot by filling out the online application available on the Student Residence webpage. Please note that residence applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis and you may be placed on a waitlist.

For more information, visit the Student Residence webpage.

Off-Campus Housing:

For off campus housing info, please visit the Places 4 Students website

This registry contains listings of private accommodations within the Greater Toronto Area.

You can also contact Housing Services at George Brown College by emailing or visit the Housing Services webpage for more information.

Is the housing listed in the registry close to the College?

Since private individuals list the residences for rent, they could be located anywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. It is always a good idea to look at a map of the area and to view the dwelling before signing any rental agreements. Please call the Student Housing Office at (416) 415-5000, ext. 2101 or (416) 415- 5000, ext. 2296 or visit our website at Housing Services for more information.

How much can I expect to pay for rent?

Rents may vary depending on the quality, privacy and location of the dwelling. Most rents listed by the Housing Service are within the following ranges:

Shared Accommodations:

  • $400 - 600 per month

Private Accommodations:

  • Bachelor - $600-750 per month
  • One-bedroom - $750-1,000 per month
  • Two-bedroom - $900-1,400 per month
  • Three-bedroom - $1,500-2,000 per month

Rental listings are also published in most local newspapers, including the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail , as well as a free publication called Renter's News. These publications are not associated with George Brown College they are listed here for your convenience.

Are there in-town residences where students might live?

There are independent residences that house many of our students. Rooms are limited so apply early. Visit the Housing Office at your campus for more available options.

How to Apply

For full-time post-secondary programs at George Brown College, please apply through Ontario Colleges, the application processing service owned and operated by Ontario's publicly-funded colleges. There is a non-refundable fee to apply (see the Ontario Colleges website for details).

How do I contact

Call the Customer Contact Centre at 1-888-892-2228 (Toll-Free) or click 'Chat Now' on the Ontario Colleges website.

The mailing address is

  • Ontario College Application Services
    60 Corporate Court
    Guelph, ON
    N1G 5J3

How do I submit my transcripts?

All transcripts must be submitted to Ontario Colleges – in some situations, you may be able to request your transcript directly through the Ontario Colleges website. See below for details:

  • If you are in high school in Ontario let your guidance office know you are applying and they will send your transcripts to the Ontario Colleges for you.
  • If you are currently in high school in another Canadian province, you need to send one (1) official transcript to Ontario Colleges.
  • If you are out of high school, you need to arrange with your last high school to have one (1) official transcript sent to Ontario Colleges. Depending on where you went to high school, you may be able to request your transcript online through the transcript request service on the Ontario Colleges website. If not, contact your last high school directly.
  • If you have attended an Ontario college or university, order your official transcripts through the transcript request service on the Ontario Colleges website.
  • If you attended a college or university outside Ontario, but still in Canada, you must request that the institution you attended send an official transcript to Ontario Colleges.
  • If you are sending documents from any educational institution outside of Canada, you need to send an original or certified copy of the documents and an official English or French translation, if the document is not in English or French, to Ontario Colleges. There is an international document assessment fee of $60.00 to evaluate your credentials.

Find out more about How to Apply.


ID Cards

See also George Brown College Student Photo ID Card

How do I get my photo I.D. card?

GBC will not be issuing physical student ID cards at this time. All students are advised to setup their Digital Student ID through the George Brown App

To create your ID you will need:

  • To be fully registered and have selected your classes
  • A digital photo of yourself
  • Your GBC student ID Number and STU-VIEW password
  • A computer or mobile device.

If you are required to attend classes on campus and need access to rooms with card reader door locks, you may request a student ID card from the library through

What do I need to get my photo I.D. card?

Students obtaining their new student photo I.D. card must present personal identification and proof of registration/payment.

How do I submit my photo online?

Go to How to Get Your Student ID Card. Watch the video on how to submit your photo online. Select “Click here to submit your photo online”.

Once you have submitted your photo and it has been approved, you have the option to authenticate your Digital ID. To authenticate your ID log in here, click on “Validate Identity”, and submit your supporting documentation.

Please allow up 5 business days from the time you submitted your photo holding government ID for the “Not Validated” to be removed from your digital ID. If after 5 business days “Not Validated” is still on your card please contact

How do I access my Digital ID?

The digital ID is located on the GBC app. Install the GBC app on your mobile device and login with your GBC username and STU-VIEW password.

How can I use my Digital ID?

Your George Brown College student ID identifies you as a student at the College and can be used to access College services and student discounts.

Student ID is required:

  • During tests and exams on campus
  • For residence access
  • In cases where you need to access campus for resources and events

Your Student ID can also get you external discounts by identifying you as a student the College:

  • TTC monthly discount pass
  • Go Transit discount
  • Student discounts at clothing stores, eateries, the AGO and ROM, etc.

I am a returning student. What do I need to do?

Your card is still valid. No updates are required for the card as long as your program code stays the same.


Late Admits

Just prior to the start of each semester, the college will offer our Late Admit process where we continue processing applications for open programs that have space available. You can view available (open) programs at Program Availability for Domestic Students.

Applicants must apply to their program of choice through the Ontario Colleges website. A $110 application fee is required (for academic year 2021-2022). Your application will be uploaded to the college one business day after your application is completed. Ontario Colleges representatives are available to assist with making changes to your application by phone at 1 (888) 892-2228 (toll-free), Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Once the college has received your application, you will need to submit any required documentation, including transcripts, high school or equivalency diplomas, and landing papers (if applicable). NOTE: Admission Officers are not available in person to accept or review documents. All official transcripts must be requested via Ontario Colleges. Residency documents can be submitted via email to

Once your application and supporting documents have been received, Admissions staff will process your application and may be able to offer you a space in the available program, provided you meet all admissions requirements.

If you require assistance, please contact

Liberal Studies Electives

What are Liberal Studies electives?

George Brown College's Liberal Studies electives are designed to enable students in degree programs to expand and deepen their knowledge and understanding of the humanities (LHUM), sciences (LSCI), and social sciences (LSSC).

In order to fulfill the Liberal Studies breadth requirement, electives must be completely unrelated to the student's core program of study. While the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences tries to ensure that students in particular programs are excluded from taking courses that overlap with core subjects, ultimately it is the students' responsibility to ensure that they do not take Liberal Studies electives that repeat curriculum in their program area. Before registering in electives, students should read the course descriptions to make sure the courses they select do not duplicate the content of their program courses.

How many Liberal Studies electives will I take as part of my program?

The Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB) requires that at least 20% of the course hours in all degree (baccalaureate) programs focus on subjects that are outside the core (or main) field of study. Therefore, at least six of the courses in all degree programs are non-core, or "breadth" courses, and many of these non-core courses are Liberal Studies electives. For specific information about your program's Liberal Studies elective requirements, please go to Liberal Studies Requirements.

What kinds of electives must I take?

Students in degree programs take a combination of lower-level and upper-level electives. Lower-level electives introduce students to the key concepts in subjects such as psychology, sociology, art history, and environmental science, and upper-level electives explore key issues in these subject areas in greater depth, often from an interdisciplinary perspective. To fulfill PEQAB's requirement that students take breadth courses that require more than an introductory level of subject knowledge, students must complete at least three upper-level Liberal Studies electives. Students must also complete Liberal Studies electives from at least two of the three categories (LHUM, LSCI, and LSSC).

I have already completed a diploma program. Can I transfer credits from the diploma to fulfill the degree program's Liberal Studies requirements?

According to George Brown College policy, students who have earned a grade of "B" or higher in TWO diploma level General Education electives may be eligible for exemption from ONE lower-level Liberal Studies elective.

If you are a GBC graduate, the Registrar's office will apply eligible diploma-level General Education courses with a grade of "B" or higher to your degree Liberal Studies requirements. If you have completed diploma courses at another institution, you must submit transcripts and course descriptions to the School of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Students can earn a maximum of two Liberal Studies elective credits through a diploma-to-degree transfer.

Library Learning Commons (LLC)

How do I access the Library Learning Commons (LLC)?

Library locations are open, with in-person services available. Check your library location's hours before you go.

Services available in-library include:

Many library services are also available online, including:

For more information about the Library Learning Commons (LLC):

Visit Library Learning Commons (LLC)


How do I get a locker?

Students returning to in-person classes and labs can rent a locker online via STU-VIEW.

Please see Locker Rentals for more information, including the Student Locker Rental Policy.


Name Changes

To update your legal name on your student record, please email and provide supporting documentation: e.g. Marriage Certificate (for proof of surname changes), Legal Name Change document, Birth Certificate, or Driver's License.

Students wishing to change their given name on George Brown College records may do so via STU-VIEW. Please see the Preferred First Name FAQs for further details.

Staff and Faculty wishing to change their names must contact Human Resources at


OCAS (Ontario College Application Services)

What is OCAS?

OCAS is the application processing service owned and operated by Ontario's publicly-funded colleges. There is a $110 charge for applying to George Brown or any other college in Ontario. For the most current information, please consult the Ontario Colleges website.

Application fees are not refunded for duplicate applications.

Application fees will not be transferred from one application cycle to another. The only exceptions are:

  1. If the applicant's only college program choice has been cancelled by the college. In this case a refund or transfer is processed on request only.
  2. If an applicant who originally applied for the Fall intake has been offered early admission (summer semester) by the college, Ontario Colleges will not charge another application fee in this case.

Ontario Colleges will hold applications received without payment and notify the applicants that, to retain the original received date of their application, payment in full must be received at Ontario Colleges within 14 days of the date of notification of non-payment.

Ontario Colleges will notify applicants that if payment is not made within a two-week period, the application will be withdrawn. The date that the payment is then received is considered to be the date that the application is received.

A $20 fee is charged for returned cheques, (e.g. post-dated or stale-dated cheques, NSF cheques, "stop payment" cheques, cheques drawn on accounts which have been closed or in which funds have been frozen).

Orientation for Programs

New Student Orientations (including Up and Running New Student Preparation Days, Deans Welcomes, Week 3 Service Fairs) are a great way to meet fellow students, staff and faculty and get you started on the right track. These days focus on getting started, getting involved and succeeding. Ongoing orientation and Student Life activities will ensure you are in the know of the many supports and services offered to assist in your success.

Orientation & Transition Programming

From the day you accept your offer to the day you graduate the Student Life team provides orientation and transition programming to support you on your journey! Whether you’re studying online or in-person, take these opportunities to meet your faculty, connect with other students, get important information about services and supports at the college to guide your success, and learn about all the awesome ways to get involved to make your experience an enriching one. 

Online Orientation Resources before your start:

New students to the college can get a jump start on their college journey with GBC's Online Orientation! This site will help you carry out practical and administrative tasks like getting your digital Student ID, planning your academic accommodations (if needed), getting the steps to access equipment loans and much more before the semester even starts! Log into Blackboard with your student number and password after you’ve registered and select ‘Communities’ from the left-hand navigation to get started.

We’ve also put together a comprehensive site for your online learning needs. The Online Learning Microsite introduces you to college platforms used and how to navigate them, Blackboard, and personal and academic strategies you can use to be successful while you’re studying remotely from home.

Academic Program Orientations

This is your opportunity to meet with staff and faculty from your specific program. Find out key information on your program, find out what to expect, and how to connect when you have questions. Some program orientations are mandatory for certain programs, and you will be notified if this is the case with yours.

Orientation Events

Join a workshop, info session, or connect with other students to have some fun. Orientation and transition programming happens before each semester starts, and continues into term to ensure you know what's going on, how you can access services and supports, and to ensure you are in the best position for success, no matter what term you're in.

Transition Supports

As students continue through their program and semesters, their needs will change too. This programming includes supports like workshops, financial literacy, and coaching to maximize your efforts and help you fine tune your skill set to help you succeed.

OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program)

What is OSAP?

When you fill out an OSAP application you are applying for assistance funded by the provincial government (Ontario Student Loans and Grants Grants) and/or the federal government (Canada Student Loans and Grants). You may also check with the Financial Assistance office to investigate other sources of financial assistance available to you.

The application form can be accessed at You may also be required to complete electronic Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement following the instructions provided during your application process. Submit your OSAP application no later than the deadline of 60 days before the end of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year). Any additional supporting documentation must be received by the Financial Assistance Office no later than 40 days before the end of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year).

If you have been approved for OSAP, your funding will be released in two instalments, according to the details provided in your online OSAP account. The funds will be electronically transferred to your bank account once the school confirms your enrolment.

Please visit for information on how to contact the Financial Assistance Office.

NOTE: On Fridays before long weekends, the college closes at 3:30 p.m.

I haven't applied for OSAP yet. What should I do?

Apply as soon as possible, at You cannot receive funding if you apply less than 60 days before the last day of your current full-time study period (of the current academic year) If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Assistance Office at

NOTE: BScN (S118) collaborative degree Nursing students please note that if you are attending the George Brown College site for the first two years of the program, you must indicate "George Brown College" on your OSAP form.

I am a part-time student. Can I apply for financial assistance?

You may be eligible for a Canada and Ontario Part-Time Student Loan and/or Grant, by applying to the Ontario Student Assistance Program for Part-Time Students. This provides students with funding to study from 20% to 59.9% of a course load for OSAP-qualified courses. Proof of income is required with your application for both you and your spouse if you are married.

What should I do if I want to appeal my OSAP assessment?

You can contact the Financial Assistance Office to inquire about the possibility of a review. One of the consultants will see if there is anything that can be done to help. There are many exceptions to the regular assessment in some specific situations, so some assistance may be available.


Password for students

You should have received your password in an email when you initially applied.  All students who have applied to the College are assigned a password. If you have already been assigned a password but have lost it, you can contact the Contact Centre at 416 415-2000, or 1-800-265-2002. You can also use this number to report any problems you are experiencing. Please keep your password private in order to protect your personal information.

For password assistance you may also visit the Self-serve Password Utility.

Detailed instructions on resetting your password can be found online at the Tech Support webpage.

Password for Faculty/Staff

Please go to Self-service Identity Manager to reset your password. If you continue to have difficulty, call the Contact Centre at (416) 415-2000 or HELPDESK at 416-415-5000 ext 4357.
Detailed instructions on resetting your password can be found online at the Tech Support webpage.

Only the Contact Centre can reset your password if you are staff or faculty.

Peer Mentor +

Academic and Student Affairs offers a peer support service: Peer Mentor +

At Peer Mentor +, our goal is to help students during their time at George Brown through our student-focused programming. All our coaches at Peer Mentor + Community are also students. They have experience with the pressures of balancing work, school and personal lives. This lived experience is at the heart of what we do.

Peer Mentor + Community offers support under three pillars: Good Food, Inclusion, and Well-Being. Our aim is to provide students with workshops, peer-to-peer supports, and events and programs to help them thrive both personally and as students. At Peer Mentor +, Community is connection.

Connect with us online via the Peer Mentor + Program webpage.

Photo ID

See ID Cards.

Placement Testing

Please visit the Assessment Centre website for up-to-date information on assessment and placement testing.

PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition)


Prior learning assessment & recognition (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a certificate, diploma or degree. You will need to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences. This may include work, training, independent study, volunteering, travel, hobbies and family experiences. This is not equal to a Course exemption. (For academic exemptions, please see Transfer Credits.)

PLAR is done on a course-by-course basis. If a course covers material you already know, you can ask for an assessment of your knowledge. This is called a "challenge." For example, if you have done a lot of graphic design work, you might challenge some of the courses of a Graphic Design Program from the School of Design. To assess your learning, you may be:

  • Tested with written or oral exams, interviews, or case studies or
  • Assessed through a portfolio of your work that shows your skills or
  • A combination of both

Your learning will be evaluated as it would happen in a classroom environment and your assessment will be graded. This grade will appear on your transcript (PLAR does not result in an exemption), and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).

Part-time Continuing Education students may receive PLAR credits for up to 50% of their program courses towards the attainment of a certificate.

Full-time students may receive PLAR credits for up to 75% of their program courses.

NOTE: Earning credit through the PLAR process may affect your status as a full-time student and, consequently, eligibility for OSAP and/or Student Association Health Insurance.
Contact your program coordinator or the PLAR Office for detailed information about the PLAR process.

Contact Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) at

Visit PLAR Web page



See Paying Fees and Registering

Replacement Credentials – Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees

We will replace your diploma, certificate or degree if it is lost, stolen or destroyed. Multiple copies of credentials (diploma, certificate or degree) will not be produced.

Graduates of post-secondary programs who attended George Brown College after 1995 can submit an online request for a replacement credential. Graduates of Continuing Education Certificates after March 16, 2020 can submit an online request for a replacement certificate.

If you attended prior to 1995, or completed a Continuing Education Certificate, you must submit a completed Credential Replacement Request Form to the Records Department.

For more information on how to request a replacement credential, please see Transcripts & Credentials.


"The George" Student Residence is George Brown College's first ever residence building. It served as the athlete's village for the 2015 Pan-Am/Parapan-Am games before being converted for our use as a student residence in time for the 2016-17 fall semester.

It is a modern 505-bed, accessible facility, meeting LEED Gold environmental standards. Student suites are furnished 2-bedroom units that include Wi-Fi and cable television along with a kitchenette and washroom. The residence has ample common spaces including, a games room, community kitchens, BBQ patio, fitness room, and study rooms.

On-site staff offer resources and supports, as well as integration to the college services, and social programming designed to create a living, learning environment.

Other features include a security system with card access, laundry facilities, and extensive bicycle storage.

You can apply for a residence spot by filling out the online application available on the Student Residence page. Please note that residence applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis and you may be placed on a waitlist.

If you require Off Campus Housing, please see Housing Services.



Please see Bursaries, Scholarships and Awards.

Social Events - Campus Calendar

How can I meet new friends and get involved in campus life?

Watch for the following Student Association and College-sponsored events.

See also Student Association.


What information is required if I am being sponsored?

If you are being sponsored it means that someone else is responsible for paying your tuition fees. The College will require an official (original) sponsorship letter with total amount covered and invoice instructions from your sponsor authorizing the college to bill them for your tuition fees. The letter must include the name and billing address of the sponsor. The letter must be forwarded to the Finance Office (Attention: Manuela Vietas).

Student Associations

How can I meet new friends at George Brown College?

Many exciting social and educational events happen throughout the year at George Brown. Here are some places where you can find out what's happening:

  • GBC Student Association - find out about social events, student clubs, and becoming a student representative, call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2455;
  • Athletics and Student Life offers a variety of sports and recreational activities at all levels. Call (416) 415-5000, ext. 2176 or (416) 415-5000, ext. 4714;
  • The GBC Alumni Association offers a free Mentor Program that matches alumni with current students. For information (416) 415-5000, ext. 2535;
  • Check the Dialog Newspaper and the bulletin boards for announcements about pubs, films, and special events that take place throughout the year;
  • For information on workshops, tutoring and employment postings, call Student Affairs:
    1. St. James (416) 415-5000, ext. 2107
    2. Casa Loma (416) 415-5000, ext. 4585

Student Awards Office

The Awards Office can help identify which of the many scholarships, awards, bursaries, and grants available to George Brown College's students you may be eligible for and assist with the application process.

For more information, please visit our Financial Aid page. You may also contact us via email at

Student Identification

Please see ID Cards.

Student Life

Please visit Student Life website.

To find about student life events, follow Student Life on Instagram.

Student Leadership Academy Volunteer Program run by Student Life

Student Records

General Collection Notice:
George Brown College (the “College”) collects personal information under the authority of the Ontario Colleges of Applied Arts and Technology Act and in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. The College collects personal information for the purposes of administering its statutory objects and powers, programs, activities, and to carry out other services and functions. The College will secure personal information securely and use for such purposes as set out in the George Brown Notice of Collection. If you have any questions about the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information at the College, please visit Privacy Policy page. You may also contact the Privacy Office via email at

The information contained within a student record is confidential and pertains to the individual student only. It is imperative that the information on each student's record is up-to-date. This includes items such as name, address, phone number, email address, marital status, and date of birth. 

  • To update your phone number, mailing address, or email address, please email the Registration Department at Alternately, you can log into your STU-VIEW account and go to the Personal Information tab to update these items. You will need a valid student ID number and password.
  • To update your date of birth, marital status, or legal name, please email and provide supporting documentation: e.g. Marriage Certificate (for proof of surname changes), Legal Name Change document, Birth Certificate, or Driver's License.
  • Students wishing to change their given name on George Brown College records may do so via STU-VIEW. Please see the Preferred First Name FAQs for further details.

See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades)


STU-VIEW is George Brown College's online student information system. You will need your student ID number and password to access your STU-VIEW account.

By logging into your STU-VIEW account, you may do the following:

  • Register for Your Program
  • Switch or Add/Drop Courses
  • Pay Your Fees
  • View Any Holds on Your Account
    • Please note that holds on your account (e.g. overdue fees, library fines, academic standing, etc.) may prevent you from registering or may prevent your diploma/certificate/transcript from being issued.
  • Update Your Contact Information
  • Book Your Placement Test(s) – 1st Year Students
  • Apply for Student Awards
  • Apply for Transfer Credits
  • View Your:
    • Timetable
    • Grades (Unofficial Transcripts)
    • Academic Progress Report
    • What-If Analysis Report
    • Registration Letter & Invoice
    • Statement(s)
    • Tuition Tax Receipt (T2202A)
  • Submit Your Photo & Pay Your Photo-ID Fees
  • Rent a Locker
  • Track your Admissions Applications – Go to the 'Admissions Application Summary' tab
  • Book Your Admissions Test(s)

Problems Accessing STU-VIEW?

If you are having trouble using STU-VIEW or have forgotten your password, please call the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000, 1-800-265-2002 (Toll-Free), or 1-877-515-5559 (TTY) and an agent will assist you.

For detailed information on managing your password, please visit the following webpage: Technical Support GBCAssist.


Testing - Assessment and Placement

Please visit Assessment Centre website for up-to-date information on assessment and placement testing.


When do I get my timetable?

Once you have registered, your timetable will be immediately available online. To view your timetable, log into your STU-VIEW account and then select Registration Services > Registration > View Weekly Timetable.

Your timetable lists the days, times and locations of your courses. It is important to check your timetable on STU-VIEW frequently, particularly the week before classes begin. Circumstances may require us to make changes to your schedule.


If you have problems with your timetable, you may log into your STU-VIEW account to add/drop courses or to select a different section (space permitting) up until the fifth day of classes in the semester.

You may also contact your Academic Department for assistance with changing your timetable.


Returning students who require a special timetable will need to contact their Academic Department for assistance. Please note that additional fees may apply.

Students with special timetables may not be able to add and/or drop courses online. Instead, you will be required to speak to an academic advisor prior to dropping and/or adding courses to your timetable.


If your name is not on the class list, please contact your Academic Department office for assistance.


Official Transcripts

For information on how to request an official transcript, please visit Transcripts & Credentials

Unofficial Transcripts

If you require an unofficial transcript, you may print one by logging in to your STU-VIEW account, then selecting Academic Records > Academic Transcript.

See also Frequently Asked Questions about Records (Transcripts; Education Verification; Graduation, Certificates, Diplomas and Degrees; Grades)

Transfers for Continuing Education Students

Please see the policy for Transfers on the Continuing Education website.

Transfer Credits

How do I apply for a transfer credit (exemption)?

New and current students can apply online to transfer credits from another post-secondary institution to George Brown College. If you are approved for transfer credit, you will then be exempted from completing the equivalent course(s) at George Brown.

To access the online Application for Transfer Credit, you must first accept your offer of admission. Then you must log in to your STU-VIEW account and select Registration Services > Registration > Submit or Modify an Application for Transfer Credit.

In order to evaluate your application, we will require the following:

  • Official transcripts
  • Detailed course outlines
  • A valid e-mail address

Important Notes:

  • The online application will open approximately two months prior to the start of each term. The last day to apply for transfer credits is the first day of the term.
  • Be sure to register for—or remain registered in—the course(s) you are applying to be exempted from. This way, you will be properly registered in your program's required courses should your application for transfer credit be denied. Be sure to attend all classes until your exemption has been approved.
  • On average, students can have two exemptions in any one term before dropping to part-time status, which can impact tuition fees and OSAP eligibility.

For detailed instructions, please see the How to Apply for Transfer Credits PDF.

For non-academic exemptions, please see PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition).

If I am granted a course exemption, can I take a different course in its place?

If space is available, you may be able to register in another full-time post-secondary course as a replacement for your exempted course. Please contact your Academic Department for more information.

Transit - Local

How do I get around in Toronto?

You can get around Toronto by using the city’s transit system – subway trains, buses, and streetcars – which is operated by the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC). The easiest method of paying your fare on the TTC is to use a PRESTO card.

Visit the TTC website for more information on transit routes, maps, schedules, fares, and PRESTO cards.

You can also contact the TTC by calling (416) 393-INFO or (416) 393-4636. Automated telephone services are available 24/7, and multilingual services are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (except for statutory holidays).

I live outside of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). How do I get a student rate to travel on GO Transit?

Please see GO Transit Passes

Tuition Fees

What are my payment due dates?

Full-Time Post-Secondary Students: 

  • Payment due dates for each semester will be listed on your invoice. Your invoice will be emailed to you and posted online through STU-VIEW. To view your invoice online, log in to your STU-VIEW account, then select Financial Services > View Fees.
  • For tuition fee due dates, please see the Tuition Policy FAQs or Important Dates.

Part-Time or Continuing Education Students: 

  • Your tuition fees must be paid in full at the time of registration.

Where can I find more information about my tuition fees?

For more information, please see the Tuition Policy FAQs for full-time post-secondary students.

Tutoring and Learning Centre (TLC)

The Tutoring and Learning Centre is an academic service supporting students in developing core academic English, math, accounting, and study skills. The TLC is a great place for students who

  • would like to improve English, math, accounting, and/or study skills to be more successful in their courses at George Brown
  • would like to become more independent and confident learners in an informal setting
  • believe learning with others fosters their own learning

The TLC offers

  • one-to-one and group tutoring (online and in-person)
  • online resources 
  • workshops and peer leading groups

Please visit the TLC for the most up-to-date information about tutoring.



How do I withdraw from my program of study?

Prior to withdrawing from your program, you are strongly encouraged to speak to an academic advisor, counsellor, or faculty member to explore your options. In many cases, there may be an alternative to withdrawing from college altogether.

To officially withdraw from your program, you must submit a withdrawal request prior to the published deadline. Not attending classes or simply notifying the professor of your intention to withdraw is not an acceptable notification for program withdrawal. Failure to officially withdraw will result in "DNA" (Did Not Attend) or "F" grades on your final transcript.


Domestic students must submit a withdrawal request via one of the following methods:

  • Log in to your STU-VIEW account, select Registration Services, and then follow the links to withdraw from your program.
  • Write a letter stating your intention to withdraw, and including your student ID number and the program code. This withdrawal request must be signed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar by emailing from your official George Brown College email address.

If you have applied for an OSAP loan, you must also inform Financial Assistance (OSAP) of your decision to withdraw.

To be eligible for a partial refund, you must submit your withdrawal request by the tenth day of classes in the semester. If you do so, you will receive a full refund of tuition fees for the semester, minus the non-refundable deposit. After the tenth day of classes, students will no longer be eligible for a refund, but may still withdraw from their program until the Last Day to Withdraw from a Program without Academic Penalty. See the Withdrawal and Refund Policy for Domestic Students and Important Dates.


International students must complete and submit a Withdrawal/Refund Request Form to the International Centre by emailing

International students who withdraw prior to the published refund deadline will receive a full refund of tuition fees for the semester, minus a $1000 withdrawal fee (for the majority of programs). For more information, see the International Student Withdrawal & Refund Policy.