Show content for:

What is the Post-Graduation Work Permit?

Main Content

The post-graduation work permit (PGWP) is a work permit that graduates may be eligible to apply for upon completion of their program. 

  1. The permit is valid from 8 months to up to a maximum of three (3) years, depending on the length of the academic program
  2. The permit allows students to work anywhere within Canada
  3. Students are not required to find a job related to their field of study.
  4. Post-Graduation Work Permit application must be applied online in most cases
  5. Students do not need a job offer to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
  6. The work permit is an “open” permit and not employer specific (which means that students do not need to change their work permit every time they change a job).
  7. If you complete any Community and Health Sciences programs, H402, R107 and T402 programs, and want to work in your field, a recent medical exam by a Panel Physician may be required by IRCC if you want to receive a Work Permit without any restrictions attached.

To learn more about the PGWP eligibility requirements, please refer to the IRCC website

NOTE: This information has been reviewed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA). However, immigration policies can change without notice. For the most up to date information, please refer to the IRCC website directly at

Spring Program Delivery

Learn more about how our Spring 2024 programs will be delivered.

Learn more