OSAP Frequently Asked Questions

Main Content


When should I apply for OSAP?

If you are starting college in September 2022 (January 2023, or May 2023), applications for OSAP are now open. 

Find out how to apply for OSAP . You are encouraged to apply for OSAP early to ensure that there is ample time to process your application. In the event of any questions or errors regarding your application, applying early gives you time to resolve them. The sooner you have your assessment, the easier it will be for you to budget for the year. Please make sure you provide your correct Student Number on your OSAP application form.

How can I find out how much OSAP funding I will get?

You can visit the OSAP Aid Estimator to find out how much OSAP you may be eligible for. This estimate is subject to change upon processing of your complete application.

Do I need to pay a $500 initial deposit, even though I have applied for OSAP?

The initial deposit is a minimum requirement for you to register, confirming your attendance to your program and to create your timetable. It is the student's responsibility to cover this deposit, as they must be registered in order to receive OSAP funding. This initial deposit requirement is not waived for students who have applied for OSAP.

Is my OSAP assessment final?

Your OSAP assessment may be eligible for a review of your funding in some situations. This may include when you:

  • Are unable to make your expected contributions.
  • Have experienced a family breakdown (e.g. divorce, death of parent or spouse) since applying.
  • Have declared bankruptcy.
  • Are struggling academically (e.g. failing to meet course requirements) due to circumstances beyond your control.

Please contact the Financial Assistance office for further information. They'll let you know if you should consider requesting a review.

When is the deadline to apply for OSAP?

The deadline for applying for OSAP is 60 days before the end of a student's study period during any given academic year. For example, if your study period ends on April 21, the last day to apply for OSAP is February 17, however, it is recommended that you apply as early as you can. The sooner you apply, the sooner you can ensure that there is ample time to process your application, receive your funding assessment and know how much OSAP funding you will receive.

Where can I get specific information about my OSAP application?

Once you have applied for OSAP, you can log into your account at any time to check the status of your application. In addition to your account, there is a lot of helpful information on the OSAP website .

If you still have questions or you need additional help with OSAP, please contact George Brown's Financial Assistance Office. They can be reached via email at FinAid@georgebrown.ca. Throughout the year, if there are any changes to your personal, financial or academic situation, you must report these changes to the Financial Assistance Office as soon as possible.

Why did I receive multiple funding deposits?

OSAP funding can be composed of several types of funding (Federal and/or Provincial). These are deposited separately, sometimes at separate times.

Is there anything I need to do to receive my second funding instalment?

As long as you are registered full-time, your funding will be automatically released at the beginning of your study period. Keep in mind this may take up to 10 business days for processing.

I don't want to apply for loans, what are my options?

If you're assessed for both grants and loan funding, but don't want the loan, you can decline it. Just select the No Loan Option that appears on your OSAP application funding summary.

Who is ineligible for OSAP?

Students may not be eligible for OSAP funding if they:

  • Have enough financial resources to cover their expenses allowed by OSAP.
  • Receive other government aid that covers their postsecondary education expenses.
  • Don't meet the academic progress requirements.
  • Report income on their OSAP application that is significantly different from what they reported to the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Have defaulted on a previous student loan.
  • Have multiple loan overpayments outstanding.
  • Have outstanding grant or bursary overpayments.
  • Failed a credit check.
  • Declared bankruptcy or consumer proposal, or consolidation orders under the Orderly Payment of Debts.
  • Have reached their lifetime limit of student loan funding.
OSAP Course Load Requirements
  1. You are eligible to apply for full-time OSAP assistance if you are enroll in at least 60% of a full course load (per term), or 40% of a full course load, if you are a student with a permanent disability or a persistent or prolongФed disability.
  2. Part-time OSAP is available to students who take between 20-59% of a full course load. Students with a permanent disability or a persistent or prolonged disability, who are taking 40% of a full course load, have the choice of receiving full- or part-time OSAP funding.
What is the definition of students with disability?
  1. A permanent disability is any impairment, including a physical, mental, intellectual, cognitive, learning, communication or sensory impairment — or a functional limitation — that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities necessary to pursue studies at the postsecondary school level or to participate in the labour force and that is expected to remain with the person for the person’s expected life.
  2. A persistent or prolonged disability is any impairment, including a physical, mental, intellectual, cognitive, learning, communication or sensory impairment — or a functional limitation — that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities necessary to pursue studies at the postsecondary school level or to participate in the labour force and has lasted, or is expected to last, for a period of at least 12 months, and is not a permanent disability.
Course Load Changes

Changes in your course load can lead to changes in your OSAP funding. If you drop below the minimum requirements you will lose eligibility for your funding plus incur an OSAP academic penalty. Contact our Financial Aid Office before you make any changes to your course load.


Student refunds may be fully or partially sent to the National Student Loans Service Centre as per Ministry requirements. Refund regulations are outlined in the Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) and the Signature/Consent pages.

OSAP Lifetime Limits

A student is eligible to receive student financial assistance provided they have not exceeded the lifetime limits as outlined below:

Level of GovernmentStudents with DisabilitiesStudents with Doctoral ProgramsaLL OTHER STUDENTS
Canada520 weeks400 weeks320 weeks
Ontario520 weeks400 weeks320 weeks


If a student withdraws before the end of their period of studies, the actual number of weeks of study completed counts toward the lifetime limit.

For more information about your OSAP lifetime limit, please contact the National Student Loans Service Centre

Academic progress and maintaining OSAP eligibility

Please visit: OSAP Website

For complete information on OSAP Eligibility Requirements, please visit the OSAP website.


What happens if OSAP doesn't cover all of my expenses?

If OSAP doesn't cover all of the expenses related to your post-secondary education, we recommend that you apply for student awards, scholarships and bursaries through George Brown College via Stu-View. Visit our webpage for further details on types of awards and deadlines to apply at Awards and Scholarships.

When applying for OSAP, what can I do if I can't find my program on the list?

Key words can be helpful in searching for your program name. If you're not able to find your exact program name or semester, select the closest program and this will be corrected automatically by the Financial Assistance office. Please make sure you provide your correct Student Number on your OSAP application form.

I forgot my OAN number and/or password to login to the OSAP website.

Returning users can obtain a new password by visiting the financial assistance office at any public college or university. You'll need to bring your government-issued photo ID and social insurance number (SIN) card.
If you don't have a SIN card, you can provide proof of your SIN in the following ways:

  • Photocopy of your SIN card.
  • Federal government document with your name and SIN (T4, T1 and T5 forms are NOT accepted).
School has begun, why haven't I received my OSAP yet?

There are a number of reasons why you may not have received your funding yet. It is likely that one of the situations below applies to you:

  • You may have applied for OSAP recently and your application is being reviewed. It can take up to 4-6 weeks for your documents to be processed and for the Ministry to verify your information.
  • You may not have submitted your electronic Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) or supporting documents. Your application will be on hold until the eMSFAA and supporting documents have been received and processed.
  • There may be errors on your application. Check your OSAP application status online.
  • You may have made changes to your OSAP application (such as income, course load, living arrangements or transportation costs) that may have changed your funding assessment.
  • The Financial Assistance Office may have confirmed your enrollment for funding release, however it may take up to 10 business days for any eligible funds to be deposited in your bank account.
What if my parents/spouse have not filed an income tax return?

Based on your OSAP status, you may be required to provide parental/spousal income information, and your application will be assessed based on this income information. Once your parent(s)/spouse file their income tax return(s) with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), and the information is verified by OSAP, your OSAP funding will be reassessed. If they do not file a tax return with CRA (e.g. they have foreign income), additional documentation may be required to prove their income. For further information, check your status online.


What options do I have if I can't afford to repay my loan after leaving school?

The first six months after you graduate, finish your studies, or stop being a full-time student is called your six-month grace period.

You start to repay your loan at the end of the seventh month after you leave school. If your family income is low, you can apply to make reduced monthly loan payments, or no monthly payments at all through the Repayment Assistance Plan.

To learn more about loan repayment visit the National Student Loan Service Centre for more information.

View an on-demand NSLSC orientation webinar
View an on-demand NSLSC repayment webinar

How can I put my previous loan on interest free status?

If you're not currently receiving OSAP, but are repaying a previous OSAP loan, and continuing in full-time studies, you will need to complete an online CIFS application, by logging into your OSAP account.

You can submit your online application as early as 15 days prior to the study period start date.

The deadline to submit is 21 days before the study period end date. You must maintain a minimum full-time course load per term of 60 per cent or more, and 40 per cent for students with permanent disabilities.