George Brown College has partnered with the Labour Council of Toronto and York Region since 1992 to establish and maintain the School of Labour. It is governed by a Joint Board, co-chaired by the Presidents of the College and of Labour Council.
Together, our commitment is to socially progressive curriculum that respects working people and expands their access to post-secondary education. We work to make George Brown a “labour-friendly” college, because we believe that labour contributes to and enriches not just the college’s culture, but the whole society’s.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
Our mission is to:
- Facilitate improved access to post-secondary education and socially progressive, relevant curriculum for working people.
- Facilitate effective working relationships among the College, unions and their members for the benefit of working people.
- Bring a progressive labour perspective to the College and its students.
- Help ensure that George Brown College retains and strengthens a reputation as a 'labour-friendly' educational institution, and an awareness that labour contributes to and enriches the culture of the college.
Both the Labour Council and George Brown College are guided by the following principles in working together:
- A respect for working people, the union movement and its educators.
- A respect for the right of working people to formally-accredited, worker-centred education and training.
- A commitment to expanding the access of workers to education and training.
- A belief in the educational value of work experience.
- A belief in the value of formal links between the publicly-funded education system and the trade union movement.
In offering training and services to unionized workers, and labour education to George Brown College students, the School of Labour works in coordination with the Labour Education Centre (LEC), the educational project of the Labour Council.
Coordinator: JP Hornick
Phone: 416.415.5000 ext. 3531 Email: email@example.com
Labour Educator: Kathryn Payne
Phone: 416-415-5000 ext. 3414 - E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org