Getting Started

  • GettingStartedImage

  • The first few weeks at George Brown College are crucial to your success.

    Throughout your time at George Brown College, you will have the support and services that you need to get the most out of your college experience. There are various programs and services that are available to you as an international student at George Brown College. Some of the departments that provide these services are listed below along with the kinds of activities they are engaged in.

    We encourage you to take full advantage of the range of supports and services provided to make your time spent at the college a productive, enjoyable and fulfilling experience.

    Below please find information about orientation, how to submit your study permit and ensuring your address information is up-to-date. Also, information about how to obtain your photo identification, open a bank account and learn how to use public transit in Toronto.

  • Orientations

    Orientations help students understand the requirements of their program, academic departments, the College and immigration requirements. Students will also get to meet their faculty, departmental/GBC staff and fellow students in the program.

    Please visit our Orientations page for more information about orientation and startup events.

    Submit your study permit YoutubeAccordionIcon

    You must submit a copy of your valid Study Permit and Toronto Address/Phone number to the International Centre by fax (416-415-2120 or 416-415-4722) or drop it off at the International Centre at St. James Campus by the first week of classes. New international students who submit their study permits to the International Centre by the end of the first week of classes will be entered in a lucky draw!

    Ensure your address information is up-to-date

    To receive important letters and notices e.g. Fee statements from the College, you have to inform us each time your address changes by completing the Change of Address Form available at the International Centre office. If you change your address through Stu-View, please input only one address, your current address. Please do not include future addresses as this will confuse the system.

    Obtain your George Brown College photo I.D. YoutubeAccordionIcon

    Your Student Photo ID card identifies you as a student at George Brown College, giving you access to many of our services and facilities. You should carry your Student Photo ID card with you at all times. See General Student Card information.

    To get your student card you must:

    • Be a registered “Active” student and have no “Holds” on your GBC account.
    • Your timetable and a government-issued photo ID e.g. Passport or Driver’s License, are both required to get your George Brown College Photo ID.
    • If you qualify, go to the closest George Brown College Photo ID Centre. You can avoid line-ups by taking advantage of George Brown College’s Online Student Photo Submission process. Please see a list of Photo ID Centre locations.
    • Your Student ID card is also a Library Borrower Card and a Print/Copy-card used for photocopying and printing in the campus Library Learning Commons.  To have your card activated as your Borrower Card, simply take it to the Library Learning Commons Help Desk.

    During the busy fall term the College arranges special photo-id sessions. See dates and times.

    For students who do not have a Driver’s License, an Ontario Photo Card provides a convenient form of official identification. For more information, visit the Ontario Photo Card web page

    St. James Campus: Room 137 - (Basement level of 200 King St. E.)

    300 Adelaide St. E.: Room 111

    Casa Loma Campus:  Bldg. C Room 350

    Ryerson Campus: One Card Office, Jorgenson Hall, Room JOR-02, 350 Victoria Street

    For St. James Campus and Casa Loma Campus, you must first get a number at the Q-Matic counter near Student Services to have your Photo-ID taken.

    Open a bank account YoutubeAccordionIcon

    In order to exchange foreign currency, pay bills by cheque, receive bank transfers or place your money in the bank, you need to open a bank account. Most major banks offer special banking programs for students. To open an account you must present at least two (2) pieces of identification (for example, Passport with Study Permit, GBC Student ID card, and/or major credit card.)

    Major banks near St. James campus

    Scotia Bank

    279 King St. E.   (King St. E. & Princess), T  416 368 4301


    1 Toronto St (King St. E. & Church), T  416 980 2772

    TD Canada Trust

    110 Yonge St. (Yonge & Adelaide), T  416 869 6262

    Bank of Montreal

    30 Yonge St. (Yonge & Front), T  416 867 5323

    Royal Bank

    161 King St E. (King St. E & Jarvis), T  416 365 9070

    Major banks near Casa Loma campus

    TD Canada Trust

    675 Dupont St. (Dupont & Christie), T  416 531 9955

    Royal Bank

    10 St. Clair Ave W (St. Clair & Yonge), T  416 974 7840

    Bank of Montreal

    659 Dupont St. (Dupont and Christie), T 416 534 354


    332 Bloor Street West (Bloor & Spadina), T: (416) 515-2850

    Learn about public transit in the city

    The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a quick and convenient way to get around Toronto. The core subway trains are linked with the rest of the city through a network of buses and streetcars.

    You can buy a Monthly Metropass for the TTC through the Student Association (SA) at a discounted rate while supplies last. Tokens, tickets and Metropasses are available at all subway stations at regular prices.

    For areas in and around the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) the “GO Train” is a convenient and affordable option.  The GO travels as far as Hamilton (with bus connections to Niagara Falls) to the West and to Oshawa with bus connections as far as Peterborough to the East. There are also numerous options north of the city.

  •  New Student Guide Jan 2019 icon3 New Student Guide May 2019 2