Due to COVID-19, the Assessment Centre will not be administering in-person assessments until further notice. However, the Assessment Centre is providing online webcam-supervised admission (mature applicant) and placement (first semester students) assessments.
How to take your Admission and Placement Assessments online
The admission and placement assessments will be administered online using the webcam conferencing software Zoom. Prospective students and students will be monitored by George Brown Assessment Centre staff during their assessment on a testing platform called Accuplacer.
What do I need to complete the assessment online?
- Reliable internet connection
- Computer laptop or desktop computer (iPads, cell phones, tablets are NOT acceptable).
- A webcam
- Separate mouse (strongly recommended)
- Private space to test, no distractions. A bedroom or private room can be used as long as there is nobody else present.
- Photo Identification
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I test my system to ensure I meet the technology requirements?
What is Zoom?
- Zoom is an online system that creates video, audio, and wireless screen-sharing experiences. More information about the Zoom platform can be found at: https://zoom.us/about.
What is ACCUPLACER?
- Accuplacer is an online testing platform where prospective students will be completing their tests.
What is the process to complete the online admission assessment?
- You will receive an email from the Registrar's Office indicating that you are required to test.
- Once you receive this letter, you can go to the Assessment Centre website to review practice resources.
- When you are ready to book your assessment you will go to https://stuview.georgebrown.ca
to book your appointment and to pay your test fee. Please note: You can only book your assessment 5 days in advance.
- Once your assessment has been booked, you will receive an email from the Assessment Centre on how to proceed.
What is the process to complete the online placement assessment?
- Check if you're required to complete your placement assessment in your StuView account.
- Go to the Assessment Centre website to review the practice resources available.
- When you are ready to book your assessment go to https://stuview.georgebrown.ca to book your appointment. Please note: You can only book your assessment 5 days in advance.
- Once your assessment has been booked, you will receive an email from the Assessment Centre with next steps and how to proceed.
How much does the admission assessment cost?
- All admission assessments, regardless of which test is being written, costs $65.00 and are payable online via debit, VISA, MasterCard or American Express.
How much does the placement assessment cost?
- The placement assessment is free of charge.
How can I study for my admission or placement assessment?
- Practice and preparation resources can be found at the Assessment Centre website: https://www.georgebrown.ca/assessment/
What do I do after I complete my admission assessment?
- Test results will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office for processing. Your status will be updated in STU-VIEW within 1-3 weeks.
What do I do after I complete my online placement assessment?
- If you place in college-level English and/or math courses, your course(s) will be automatically added to your timetable or you should add them to your timetable during registration.
- If you place in foundation-level English and/or math courses, you will receive an email from an assessment advisor with more information and next steps.
- Test results will be forwarded to the Registrar's Office for processing. Your status will be updated in STU-VIEW within 1-3 weeks.
I require an accommodation to write the admission or placement assessment. How do I proceed?
- Please email email@example.com
What items are students allowed to have while taking the admission or placement assessment?
- The students' testing area should only include a computer, keyboard, mouse, scratch paper
- and a writing instrument.
Can students use calculators and/or dictionaries?
- No, calculators are prohibited (unless for a prescribed approved accommodation). If a test question requires the use of a calculator, the calculator tool will be available in the testing platform. Dictionaries are not allowed during the test session.
Are students able to take restroom breaks?
- We ask that students use the bathroom before testing begins.
Does academic integrity apply to my online web-supervised testing?
Yes. It is important that test scores are an accurate reflection of test takers' abilities, and that all test takers are assessed fairly. Therefore, in compliance with the George Brown College Academic Integrity policy, the following actions are prohibited:
- Using aids, electronic and non-electronic, that have not been authorized for use during testing.
- Copying from any source (i.e. notes, electronic devices, the internet, etc.)
- Having an unauthorized person help you with your test.
- Copying and recording, in any way, any test material.
- Submitting a work as one's own if the work has been prepared by someone else.
- Taking an assessment or an exam on behalf of someone else.
Acts of dishonest academic conduct during testing will be taken very seriously and will be addressed in accordance with the Policy.