Program Name: Child Development Practitioner (ECE Apprenticeship)
Program Code: C602
Method of Study: Part-time
Duration: 2.5 – 3 Years
Tuition: $70 for classes & $20 for placements
School: Early Childhood
Starting Months: September, January, May
Winter 2022 Delivery: Child Development Practitioner classes that start January 2023 will be delivered in a hybrid model with 80% delivered online and 20% delivered in-person.
This program is designed for people already working in the field of Early Childhood who wish to pursue formal studies and receive certification as a Child Development Practitioner (CDP). CDP apprentices are required to take 23 modules of in-school training. This training is completed part-time (night classes) and is currently being offered in a hybrid (both in-person and online) format.
This apprenticeship program is delivered by the Ministry of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development (MLITSD) through George Brown College’s School of Early Childhood.
This course will also enhance participant's awareness of community resources available to support them.
Should students/apprentices wish to complete their diploma in Early Childhood Education, they will be required to complete three General Education subjects, including College English, and Introduction Sociology.
Your Field Education Options
Students will complete six placements with various age-groups, five of which will be completed at their place of employment. The final placement (Advanced Placement) will be three weeks long (full-time) and must be completed at a George Brown College Lab School.
How to Qualify and Apply:
- You must apply for and obtain Ministry approval as an apprentice before you can register for courses. Obtaining approval is dependent upon meeting the following admission requirements:
- You must have a secondary school diploma or equivalent.
- You must be employed or volunteering at a child care centre or school where you regularly work or volunteer for 15 to 20 hours per week in classroom-related activity.
- You must have an employer who is prepared to sign your apprenticeship training agreement.
- You must attend an information session. For details about an upcoming information session email email@example.com
To start the application process to this part-time program, please complete this form.
School of Early Childhood
Phone: 416-415-5000, ext. 2310
Our office hours are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
For more information about George Brown College, you may also call the Contact Centre at 416-415-2000 (TTY 1-877-515-5559) or long distance 1-800-265-2002.