Study Permit for International Students

information about Study Permits

International Students must have valid documents to be able to stay and study in Canada.

Visitors, workers and students can apply online for faster processing  

Whenever possible, students are encouraged to apply online to extend their study permit, TRV, and/or apply or renew their work permits. If you have already submitted a paper application, please do not submit an electronic application as this will not speed up processing.


Important Reminders

  • Submit a copy of your Study Permit to the International Centre upon arrival
  • Check your passport’s expiry date and renew it before you apply for any Canaan immigration documents
  • Apply online for Study Permit extension or Post-Graduation Work Permit or Co-op/Field Placement/Work Permit
  • Check the expiry date of your Study Permit and submit a renewal application online at least 90 days before expiry
  • You may be required to have a Temporary Resident Visa if you leave Canada and have plans to return
  • A Co-op Work Permit is required before you can start co-op, externship, work or practicum placements. Depending on your program, you may need to submit proof of a medical exam by a CIC Panel Physician
  • Remember that graduating students only have 90 days from the date of their last day of classes to submit an application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Depending on your field of work, you may need to submit proof of a medical exam by a CIC Panel Physician

Study Permit

If you are applying for a study permit for the first time please refer to Please be sure to read all the instructions carefully.

Study Permit Requirements

International Students must have valid documents to be able to stay and study in Canada.

Please note: According to strict CIC regulations, a student with a valid secondary Study Permit for high school studies in Canada, cannot attend post-secondary institutions (colleges or universities) without applying for a change of conditions on their study permit. You must have a valid post-secondary study permit before the first day of planned studies. You can request a postsecondary study permit on-line or by paper application, refer to the links and instructions below for more details.

How to extend your Study Permit

Study Permits can be extended by sending an application electronically online to CIC or by mailing an application with supporting documents to CIC Vegreville, Alberta.

Sending an electronic/online application for Study Permit extension

Visit the link for information on how to apply for your Study Permit extension online.

Please Note: If your address changes at any time make sure that you visit the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website: and inform them of a change of address at

Sending an application for Study Permit extension by mail

Visit the link for information on how to apply for your study permit extension by paper application. You will have to mail this application to the CIC office in Vegreville, Alberta. Please keep a copy of your application and send the documents to CIC via registered mail. Keep the tracking number or post office receipt from the envelope as proof that your documents were mailed. Using the tracking number, you can also confirm that they were received.

Download a handy PDF guide to help you navigate the CIC website

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

International Students must have valid documents to be able to stay and study in Canada. For instance, a valid Study Permit allows students to study in Canada. Students from many countries may also be required to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Visitor Visa to enter Canada in addition to the Study Permit requirement.

TRV/Visitor Visa Requirements

  • Students who come to study for a full-time program that is 6 months or less in duration will only need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) (Visitor Visa).
  • Students who study for more than 6 months, or who plan to study a Postsecondary program at George Brown College require a Study Permit, or depending on the student’s country of citizenship, may be required to have both a Study Permit and TRV.
  • The list of countries needing a TRV is available at the Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) website at
  • The list of countries exempted from the TRV requirement is available at
  • TRVs are usually issued with the Study Permit when a student first applies from their home country and stamped directly in the passport.
  • A TRV must be valid to re-enter Canada.
  • TRVs may be issued within Canada for students already in Canada with valid study permits.
  • You may apply for single- or multiple- entry TRV.

How to Apply for a TRV Within Canada

Students currently in Canada with a valid Study Permit must apply for the TRV to the Case Processing Pilot Office (CPP-O) in Ottawa.

Please visit for detailed information and to obtain the Instruction Guide (IMM 5256), TRV application form (IMM5257), Document Checklist - Applicants in Canada (IMM5721), Visa Application Photograph Specifications and other requirements.

Download a handy PDF guide to help you navigate the CIC website

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Planning to travel outside Canada and return by air? Make sure you have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), otherwise you may get stuck at the airport.

Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to or transiting through Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.

This new requirement is now mandatory and travellers need an eTA before they can board their flight to Canada.

To get you started, we've included some important information in two downloadable PDF files below:

Download a handy PDF guide to help you navigate the CIC website

Download a handy PDF guide with important information about the eTA

Inviting a Friend/Relative to Visit

A friend or family member may want to visit you during your stay in Canada. In most cases, the friend or relative will be required to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada. Follow these steps when you want to invite someone to visit:

  • Write a Letter of Invitation: Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a guide for you to follow. This is only a guide – you must write the invitation yourself and your letter must be written in English. (In some cases the letter may need to be notarized).
  • Request a Proof of Enrolment Letter from George Brown International.
  • Send the letters to your invited person. They must include the letters with their Temporary Resident Visa application to their local visa office.

Please Note

This information has been reviewed by a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA). However, immigration policies can change without notice. Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements. For the most up to date information, please refer to the IRCC website directly at IRCC webpage or consult the IRCC Contact Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirement.