Withdrawal & Refund Policy

  • NewWithdrawal

  • George Brown College’s international student withdrawal/refund policy complies with Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities directive and Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) regulations. Applicants and students who have paid for and accepted an offer (confirmed) and/or registered for a place in a GBC program are subject to this policy. The policy applies to all new and returning, full time, part time, and co-op students.

    To be eligible for a partial refund, you must submit a formal written notification by completing/signing a type-written GBC Withdrawal/Refund Request Form on or before the deadline date.  The fillable Withdrawal/Refund Request Form is available for download here and also from the GBC International Centre or ESL Office.

    Your reason(s) for withdrawal must be provided on the Withdrawal/Refund Form. If you are transferring to another Canadian college or university, the name of the school must be identified and funds can be directly transferred to that institution at your request. You are required to notify Citizenship & Immigration Canada of a school transfer through MyCIC.

  • Expand All



    English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program Postsecondary Programs 
    Day 5 of the 8 week session Day 10 of the semester

    If a refund request is made within the deadline date, you are entitled to a refund of a portion of the fees paid for the semester or program period, less a non-refundable withdrawal amount.

    Withdrawal Fees By Session/Semester

    English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program  
    per 8 week session
    Postsecondary (Diploma/Certificate/Degree Programs)
    per semester
    $675 $1000  

    IMPORTANT: If you miss the deadline for withdrawal, you are not eligible to receive a refund.

    If your withdrawal request is due to a serious medical or family emergency outside of your control, you may appeal to the Director, International Admissions & Student Services for consideration. Official documentation, such as a doctor’s certificate, is required to substantiate any claim of this nature. 

    • In all cases, the application fee of $95 is non-refundable.
    • If you were refused a Study Permit, and have requested a refund within the deadline date, you are eligible for a refund, less a non-refundable administrative fee of $100. You must submit the letter of visa refusal from the Canadian visa office at the same time that a refund is being requested  
    • There are no refunds for Health Insurance fees after the withdrawal deadline date.  Refunds may be issued on or before the deadline date if no claims have been made against the plan.  
    • Material fees for materials kits already received by students may not be refundable in some cases. This is determined by individual academic departments.
    • If you paid, but did not accept your offer or register, you are eligible for a refund, less a $100 non-refundable administrative fee.  
    • Subsequent semesters paid in advance: you are eligible for a refund, less a $100 non-refundable administrative fee, if request is made before the deadline date. 
    • R115 English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students who pass the GBC Admissions test, providing entry into a post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree program, and who withdraw from R115 before the deadline date, will not be charged a withdrawal fee. 
    • Before a refund can be processed, funds covering the tuition fee must have cleared and be in your College account. 
    • If you paid your fees originally by credit card, refunds can only be made back to the same card.
    • Fees paid using the CIBC International Student Pay Service will be returned to the originating bank account. 
    • If you are eligible for a refund and you want the refund paid to a third party (a person other than yourself or another institution) who paid tuition on your behalf, we require your signed authorization on the Request Form to issue the refund to that person. Please provide the person’s complete contact information, including address and telephone number. 
    • Refunds will be paid within 6 weeks of the receipt of the Request Form (signed and type-written). The request form must include all required information and documentation. The process may take longer during peak/holiday periods. 

    Postponing Or Skipping A Session/Semester

    Please note that IRCC regulations have established new study permit conditions requiring all students to enroll in and actively pursue a course or program of study after arrival in Canada. However, if you have not paid/registered for an upcoming session, you may indicate that you are planning to postpone or skip a semester/session.

    If you have paid/registered for the upcoming session or semester, you must withdraw from your program before the deadline period and pay the withdrawal fee.  If you fail to withdraw before the deadline, you may be charged full semester fees.

    If you decide to return to the College at a later date, you must re-apply by completing a Re-Admission Form, providing your current GBC ID, and submitted for approval to your academic department.

    R115 English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students register per 8-week session. Students who are away from the program for:

    • between 1- 6 months can register to continue in the program without having to re-apply or re-test. 
    • more than 6 months but less than 12 months can register to continue in the program without having to re-apply, but they must re-take the Level Placement Test.  
    • more than 12 months must re-apply and re-test.  

    Regarding Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Study Permits

    • A postsecondary (not high school) level Study Permit is required before beginning studies at the college level. 
    • International students are responsible for ensuring that their Study Permit is valid or they have “implied status” while studying at George Brown College. Students whose Study Permits expire after the withdrawal deadline, but before the completion of their academic program - and who have not applied for a permit extension before the expiry date - may not use an expired Study Permit, lack of a Study Permit, lost implied status, or requirement for Study Permit restoration as a basis for a refund request after the refund deadline date has passed.
    • Because students holding Study Permits received their permit based on a Letter of Acceptance issued by George Brown College, the College is required to submit to the federal and provincial governments information related to enrolment and/or proof of progress in a program for all international students.  Such information sharing will comply with applicable privacy legislation requirements.  Any change in study status (e.g., you are no longer studying at the College) will be updated with Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as per the requirements of the International Student Program.

    Changing Fee Status From International To Domestic

    In certain very specific circumstances (e.g., student on parental work permit or submission of specific Permanent Residency documents), students can request a change from international student fee status to domestic. For fee changes to be approved and take affect all required documentation must be submitted prior to the start of term/program.  If documents are received partway through a semester, changes can only be made to future terms and not retroactively. 

    Please click here to download complete details regarding tuition fees for international students and information regarding exempt student.

    R115 English for Academic Purposes (EAP) students who are eligible to pay domestic tuition rather than international will be registered in R105 EAP. Students in R105 are required to register for a minimum of one semester (16 weeks) rather than one session (8 weeks).  These students will pay for and receive international student health insurance rather than the domestic plan. 

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

    I started my program in January or May, do I need to study for the 2nd semester? Can I take a break?

    From an academic standpoint, you may be able to take a break, but you would have to confirm with your academic department to enquire when the second semester is offered again.

    However, this may not be considered a scheduled break and, therefore, as per Canadian immigration regulations, you would not be eligible to work off campus during the break. It may also cause issues from a study permit perspective; under the “must actively pursue” clause all study permit holders in Canada must actively pursue studies. This means that:

    • if you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program; and
    • failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada
    George Brown College is required to report on a biannual basis to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on your continued enrolment status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment status. Please check with the International Centre to confirm your individual status. Visit https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada.html for more information

    Scheduled breaks are points in the year when you are not required to be in class, such as May- August for most September start programs (exception three semester post-graduate certificates and some co-op programs). If your program requires you to be registered and in-class for that semester, taking it off would not be considered a scheduled break.

    I would like to drop one course because of an exemption or because I want to take it in another semester, will I get a refund for that one course?

    If a student drops one course but maintains full-time status, they do not receive a refund for the course that they dropped or are exempted from. Full-time status is defined as students who are enrolled full-time taking 66 and 2/3% of the required courses for their program/block, or 70% of the program contact hours (defined as instructional or classroom time) in any given semester. It is always a good idea to meet with your academic department before you drop a course, to make sure that there won’t be any impacts on future semesters or if you get an exemption to see if you may be able to pick up another course to take in its place. You can confirm with the Registration Office regarding your full-time status.

    How soon can I receive my refund?

    During peak periods, we receive a high volume of refund requests, and, therefore, unfortunately, the processing time is about 6 weeks. Refunds are issued by the GBC Finance Department and not the International Centre. We try our best to get refunds out as quickly as possible. It is important for students to provide us with complete information, so that we can ensure that there are no delays in processing refunds.

    Can I pick up the refund cheque in person?

    Due to the high volume of refund requests, all cheques are mailed out to students directly. Please make sure that your address is updated in Stu-View to ensure that it is mailed to the correct address. You must notify the International Centre immediately of any changes to your mailing address.

  • Last Revised: May 24, 2017