Advance Standing, Course Exemptions & Residency

Advanced Standing, Course Exemptions and Residency


Advanced standing provides credit to a student upon admission for courses taken previously in a related area of study, which enables direct entry into a second or higher semester of a program. Course exemptions give a student credit for courses taken elsewhere that are equivalent to George Brown College courses.

Who can apply?

You can apply for advanced standing or course exemptions if you have credits from another college or university.

How to apply for advanced standing

To apply for advanced standing, complete your application form as follows:

  1. In section A, under the heading Additional Academic Information, check off the box marked “college/university transfer.” Include all relevant documents.
  2. In section B, indicate the semester or level you are applying to enter.

How to apply for course exemption

Complete an Exemption Request form available from the Service Centre, the website at or your Divisional Office.

Your application will be forwarded to the appropriate academic department for review. More information, such as course outlines, may be required. A decision will be made by the academic division.


25 per cent of the declared program of study must be earned at George Brown College. Advanced standing, course exemptions and credits earned through the PLAR process are not credited toward residency.