University of Toronto Child Care on Charles opened in October 2005 as a partnership between the University of Toronto (U of T) and George Brown College. This centre is operated by George Brown College and serves as a training Lab School for the students from the Early Childhood Education programs at the College while providing care for Graduate Students from U of T. The child care centre also supports research and curriculum development opportunities from both institutions. Located within the University's Student Family Housing, the Child Care Centre on Charles provides full-time and part-time care.
Our centre serves as a model lab school for the diploma and degree programs in the School of Early Childhood, and provides a training ground where college students are supported in developing their skills in working with children and families as they complete the hands on component of their academic program.
Manager: Venise Bennett
Centre Phone number: 416-415-2604
Address: 35 Charles Street West, Toronto ON, M4Y 1R6
Age groups accommodated: 6 weeks to 5 years
Hours of operation: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Food: Catered by Wholesome Kids
Canada Wide Early Learning Child Care Funding (CWELCC)
The Childcare centres in the School of Early childhood have applied for and have been approved for the CWELCC program.
All of our lab schools will follow the guidelines from Toronto Children’s Services in the implementation of the CWELCC plan. As such, the fees are inclusive of all of our services. Therefore, we do not charge any additional fees for extracurricular activities or transportation, etc.
Children under the age of 6 are eligible for the fee reduction.
- In 2022 a fee reduction of up to 25% (to a minimum of $12.00/day) for eligible children was implemented, retroactive to April 1, 2022. The fees indicated include this reduction.
- In 2023 an additional reduction up to 52.75% of our base fees will be applied.
- In 2025-2026 we will be working towards an average fee of $10.00/day for eligible children by the end of the 2025-2026 fiscal year (as implemented by Toronto Children’s Services)
|Age||Daily Fee ($$)|
Priorities for enrolment in the centre:
- Infant and Toddler spaces only available to residents of the U of T Student Family Housing.
- Community spaces available for children in the preschool group.
To join our waitlist, please complete this form.