Simar graduated from the Gemmology program from George Brown College. He is certified as a gemmologist by becoming a fellow of the Canadian Gemological Association (FCGmA) and a fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (FGA). He is also a graduate gemmologist (GG) from GIA and an Accredited Jewellery Professional (AJP) and Graduate Pearls (GP) from GIA. Simar has worked for some jewellery manufacturing houses in Toronto and has also amassed international experience while working with jewellery manufacturing houses of high repute from South Asia. Simar very finely amalgamates the advanced gemstone identification techniques from the West with the ancient and traditional techniques from South Asia. He has had various roles in the gemstone manufacturing sector and gemmology laboratory setups. He is very passionate about his field and is always looking for the newest developments occurring in the industry and is always ready to teach them to his students. Currently, Simar is a professor with the Gemmology department at George Brown College. He is also a gem collector and collects different varieties of gemstones and is also takes interest in the photomicrography of inclusions and other unique gemstone features. He lives, works, and is based out of Toronto.
- Cultured Pearls Specialist (CPAA), Cultured Pearls Association of America, 2020
- Fellow (FGA), the Gemmological Association of Great Britain, 2018
- Graduate Pearls (GP), Gemological Institute of America, 2016
- Accredited Jewellery Professional (AJP), Gemological Institute of America, 2016
- Graduate Gemologist (GG), Gemological Institute of America, 2015
- Fellow (FCGmA), the Canadian Gemmological Association, 2014
- Certificate, Gemmology, George Brown College, 2014
Areas of Specialization
Areas of Expertise
- Gemstones Manufacturing
- Gemstone Identification
- Diamond grading
- Gemstone and Jewellery Product Development
- Customer service
- Jewellery Sales
- Inventory Management
- Story boarding for the new product lines
- 2019-present: Professor at George Brown College
- 2013-present: Independent Gemmologist/Gem Collector and Photomicrography
- 2019: Gemmologist, Gemstones Department, Jewlr.ca
- 2016-2019: Deputy Manager, Gemstones Department, VGL Group INC.
- 2016-2019: Lab Head/Head Gemologist, Gemstone Lab Department, VGL Group INC.
- 2014-2015: Diamond Grader and Merchandiser, Accudiam INC.
- Dean’s Medal, Gemmology, GBC 2014
- Highest GPA Award, Gemmology and Jewellery Department, GBC 2014
- Dean’s Honour Roll, GBC 2013-14