Services And Supports

Services and supports offered by the international centre

We've put together various services and supports that we offer to current international students at George Brown College from our health plan to proof of enrolment, counselling, career services and more.

Student Health Insurance Plan

Health insurance for international students is managed by the George Brown College Student Association. You can find more information about the International Health Insurance Plan

For more information on other services and events offered by the Student Association, visit the Student Association website.


George Brown Athletics offers fitness centres, fitness classes as well as George Brown College intramural sports teams.

Proof of Enrolment Letters

A proof of enrolment or certification letter provides proof that you are a registered George Brown student. A proof of enrolment letter is required for a variety of application processes. Requesting a proof of enrolment letter is simple:

  • Complete your request by visiting
    Students are REQUIRED to submit a copy of their study permit in order to receive their enrolment letters
  • Your proof of enrolment letter will be emailed to you within two business days of the International Centre receiving your request form. If you apply prior to the withdrawal deadline, your proof of enrolment letter will be issued to you only after the withdrawal deadline has passed.
  • Please note that the International Centre is only able to release letters for students who have no holds (i.e. financial or academic) and who have submitted a copy of their valid study permit to the International Centre.
Transcript Request

George Brown can provide students with official academic transcripts for applications, official documentation or other purposes. Transcript requests must be submitted in writing. Please find more information about requesting a transcript on the George Brown transcript webpage.

Improving Your English and Getting Academic Assistance

There are a number of ways to improve your English and/or get help with your studies:

  • Simply getting out and being involved, joining a club, a sports team, and attending events can be a great way to improve your English and make friends. Check the Campus Life webpage to get involved.
  • The Tutoring and Learning Centre (TLC) offers free tutoring services in English, ESL and math.
  • Peer Assisted Learning offers a collaborative environment for individual, group or team learning.
  • Attend the GBC Language Café to meet other students from around the Casa Loma campus and practice your English in a social way.

Many students occasionally face difficult challenges, either in school or in their personal lives. George Brown College’s professional counsellors are able to provide free, confidential help for both academic and non-academic issues.

To book an appointment with a counsellor drop by one of the counselling offices or email

Career Centre

The Career Centre offers a variety of services designed to help you achieve your career goals. These include workshops, an online job board and individual consultations with an advisor. You can learn more about these services on the Career Centre webpage.

Inviting a Relative/Friend To Visit

A friend or family member may want to visit you during your stay in Canada. In most cases, the friend or relative will be required to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to enter Canada. Follow these steps when you want to invite someone to visit:

  • Write a Letter of Invitation: Citizenship and Immigration Canada has a guide for you to follow. This is only a guide – you must write the invitation yourself and your letter must be written in English. (In some cases the letter may need to be notarized).
  • Request a Proof of Enrolment Letter from George Brown International.
  • Send the letters to your invited person. They must include the letters with their Temporary Resident Visa application to their local visa office.