George Brown College is an institution which falls within the jurisdiction of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Therefore, the College must follow the regulations
set out within the legislation in matters related to information access and protection of privacy.
FIPPA provides a person with a legal right of access to certain records and personal information under the control of an institution covered by the legislation. The purposes of the Act are as follows:
1) to provide a rights of access to information under the control of the institution in accordance with the principles that:
- information held by the institution should be available to the public
- necessary exemptions from this general right of access should be limited and specific
- decisions on the disclosure of government information should be reviewed independently
2) to protect the privacy of individuals with respect to personal information about themselves held by the institution; and to provide individuals with a right of access to that information.
Personal information (any information about an individual) is collected and maintained on all students and employees of the College. Concerns or questions about the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, should be addressed to
the Dean or Director of your department or to the Freedom of Information & Privacy Coordinator, ext.4646.
As many of GBC's operations are governed by FIPPA, compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) takes place throughout the college. Although what follows is not
an exhaustive list, it may be helpful to locate some of the most frequently used policies, including:
All access requests for information or records held by the College should be made in writing to the Freedom of Information & Privacy Coordinator.
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990 Chapter F. 31
Regulation 459 (FIPPA, R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 459 – "Disposal of Personal Information")
Regulation 460 (FIPPA, R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 460 – "General")
Information and Privacy Commissioner (Ontario)
The Law Society of Upper Canada