COVID-19 Current Student FAQs

Last updated October 4, 2021

We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and make decisions based on the latest guidance from Toronto Public Health. Our health and safety protocols are subject to change as guidance from public health evolves. 

FAQs for international students.

What if I start to feel symptoms or come into contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19? 

Please visit our What To Do If Symptomatic Or Exposed page for detailed information and steps you should take if you develop symptoms and/or come into contact with a positive case.

How will I know if a case is reported on campus?

George Brown College will notify the college community and the general public if someone with a positive COVID-19 test result was on any of our campuses. 

Confirmed Cases On Campus

Will George Brown make COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for students and employees on campus?

Yes. As of November 1, all students, employees and visitors must show proof of full vaccination to access college campuses. 

Find more information on the Vaccine Information and Vaccine Verification pages. 

Are some students learning on campus?

Select groups of students and employees have access to campus for instruction that requires in-person labs and facilities. For information about your program, please visit the Program Delivery page.  

Students who will be on campus will be pre-screened and must complete COVID-19 awareness training before entering college buildings.   

Find details of our protocols on the following pages: 

When will all students be able to learn on campus?

We’re excited to offer more on-campus experiences for the Winter 2022 semester, including some fully on-campus programs, activities and services. Most programs will be delivered in a hybrid model.

Find the full list of programs and how they are being delivered on the Winter 2022 Semester Program Delivery page

Please note that programs and services are subject to change based on the latest guidance from public health officials. 

Are there changes to Continuing Education courses?

Distance learning (including online) courses are not impacted and continue as scheduled. 

Select groups of students have access to campus for limited instruction that requires in-person labs and facilities. This access is only for specific Continuing Education students who must complete hands-on clinical or lab work required to finish their courses and certificates. 

For more information visit and to submit a question or concern, visit

Admissions and placement tests

Is the Assessment Centre open?

Yes. Our campuses are currently closed but Assessment Centre operations have moved online. You can find information about admissions assessments at

If you require accommodations, visit for more information. 

If you have questions about Blackboard/placement/admissions and accommodated testing, contact

If you have questions about IELTS or CELPIP tests, contact

I require accommodated testing. Who do I contact?

Students requiring accommodated testing can register with Accessibility Services at or by emailing Accessible Learning Services at

Accessible Learning Services requires seven days to arrange accommodations. 

I took an admissions test. Do I also need to take a placement test?

Your admissions assessment results will be used to place you in an appropriate English and/or math course. If you wrote your admissions assessment six months ago or more before the start of your program (e.g. before the end of February for the September program intake) and your results have placed you in a foundation-level course, you are eligible to complete a placement assessment for your program. To check if you have been placed in foundation-level courses, please go to STU-VIEW once program registration is open.

When and how do I complete my placement assessment?

Get your placement assessment done as soon as possible. Your placement assessment will determine whether you’re ready to take the college-level English and/or math courses in your program or if you need to take a foundation-level course to further develop your skills. Follow these steps:

  • Log in to STU-VIEW.
  • If you’re required to complete a placement assessment, book your appointment via STU-VIEW. You’ll be able to take the assessment online.
  • Visit the Assessment Centre website for more information on online testing and how to prepare.

Visit for information on placement test requirements.

I booked a placement test. How do I take it?

Due to COVID-19, the Assessment Centre will not be administering in-person assessments until further notice. However, the Assessment Centre is providing online webcam-supervised placement assessments. Visit for more information.

The registered time booked is Eastern Standard Time.

I took college English in high school. Do I need to take the test?

Yes. Placement assessments in English and/or math are taken after you have accepted an offer of admission to George Brown College. Placement assessments determine whether you are ready to take the college-level credit courses in English and/or math in the first semester, or if you will be required to take a foundation-level course first to further develop your skills. Failure to complete the placement assessments will result in automatic placement in a foundation-level course. This placement means that you will be taking an additional course and that you will likely be charged additional fees.

I completed college English in another George Brown program. Do I need to take the test?

No. If you have already completed College English (COMM 1007) at George Brown College, you will not be required to retake the placement assessment or the College English course. Any completed courses from previous terms/programs will automatically transfer to the new program.

College events

Are college events running?

Many events that were previously held in person are being delivered virtually to prevent the spread of COVID-19.  

Check the students' events listings, watch your college email and follow us on social media to learn about upcoming events. 

Fall 2021 orientation activities will be held online. Find information about new student orientation at

When is Orientation Week?

Orientation is online and open to everyone, both new and returning students. This is a great chance for you to prepare for the semester and connect with the faculty and your classmates.

Program orientation and other online events run the week before the semester starts. Find details at for details

Student services

What services are available?

Find a list of student services and how they are delivered on the Student Support and Service Delivery page.

How can I access counselling supports?

We offer online counselling services for our students through video. Video counselling appointments will take place through a secure video platform, Zoom Healthcare, which is available free of charge for students (your counsellor will email you the link the day of your appointment). Appointments can be booked via email through the campus contact information listed below. (Please email rather than call - voice mail will be monitored, but email allows for the fastest response.)

Due to privacy considerations, telephone counselling appointments are not available, but our counselling staff can assist students without internet access by phone to connect them with appropriate mental health resources in their area. Due to regulatory considerations, video counselling appointments are only available for students currently located in the province of Ontario. If you currently outside of Ontario please contact our office and we will assist you in accessing mental health supports in your area.

Video counselling appointments are available Monday to Friday from 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. For more information, please visit our site, and to book an appointment, please follow the steps listed here on our Accessing Counselling page. For any questions, please contact us:

Community Mental Health Supports

We appreciate this is a difficult time for many and worries about personal health and well-being and that of friends, family and community can be challenging to manage. If you are in distress and need immediate assistance, please reach out to the telephone and online mental health supports and services listed below:

  • Good2Talk: 24-hour post-secondary support service, Phone: 1-866-925-5454 or text: GOOD2TALKON to 686868
  • Distress Centre (GTA): 24-hour crisis line, 416-408-4357
  • Gerstein Centre (downtown Toronto): 24-hour crisis line & mobile support service, 416-929-5200
  • Spectra Helpline: 416-920-0497 or 905-459-7777 for Brampton and Mississauga residents
  • Community Crisis Line Scarborough and Rouge Hospital: 416 495-2891 for 24/7 telephone crisis support
  • Durham Crisis and Mental Health Line: 905 666-0483
  • Oakville Distress Centre: 905 849-4541 for residents of Halton Region (Burlington, Halton Hills, Milton and Oakville)

We Connect

For students enrolled in the student health benefits program We Speak Student, We Connect can provide 24/7 virtual/online and telephone counselling in multiple languages to students worldwide.

Contact We Connect by calling 1-888-377-0002 or by visiting their website.



Are computer labs available on campus?

Select library locations are open with limited in-person services

The library computers are available for use and are first-come, first-served.

How do I access specialized software for my program that I can't run on my computer?

The library has a service that enables some students to remotely access software on the desktop computers at LLC locations using your personal computer or laptop loaned from the library. Access is limited to students who are in programs that require specialized software.

You will need to set up a VPN client on your computer. For help setting up a VPN and using Labstats, or to find out if your program is eligible, visit GBC Assist.

Can I borrow tech devices?

Yes. The Library Learning Commons provides a loan program for laptops, portable Wi-Fi devices and iPhone 7s to be used for hot spot Wi-Fi access.

Devices can be requested online and will be sent out by courier to the requester every Friday. No pickups are available at the library.

Find information on how to access tech via the Library Learning Commons on the Borrow Laptops, iPads and More page

If you have questions about equipment loans, your reservation status, or returning your device by mail, please call the library at (416) 415-5000 ext.2173, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., send an email to or connect over chat at

How do I return equipment loans?

Borrowed equipment can be returned every day, Monday to Sunday, between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Drop off is at the St. James Campus ONLY at 200 King St. E. (main entrance). 

When dropping off library loans, on arrival at 200 King St E. please ring the entrance bell located on the wall to the right to alert security. A security officer will come to the door and accept the equipment. No entry to the campus is permitted.

Students living outside the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) may return borrowed equipment via mail. Please ship to:

Elizabeth Lewis
Library Learning Commons
200 King Street East
M5A 3W8

Use the Tech Help live chat if you have questions about equipment loans. Visit the LLC COVID-19 Services page for information and to contact the library.

Visit the LLC’s COVID-19 Services page for information on borrowing equipment from the library during the college closure, and to contact the library if you have questions about this program or your equipment loan

How do I claim my e-books and e-texts?

Students who have ordered electronic textbooks can visit the George Brown College Campus Store's Textbook Claim and Downloads page.

How do I get my student ID card?

We will not be issuing physical student ID cards at this time. All students are advised to setup their digital student ID through the George Brown App

To create your ID you will need:

  • To be fully registered and have selected your classes
  • A digital photo of yourself
  • Your GBC student ID number and STU-VIEW password
  • A computer or mobile device.

If you are required to attend classes on campus and need access to rooms with card reader door locks, you may request a student ID card from the library through

What do I need to pick up my student ID? 

Students obtaining their new student photo ID card must present personal identification and proof of registration/payment.

How do I submit my photo online for my student ID?

Visit the How to Get Your Student ID Card page. Watch the video on how to submit your photo online. Select “Click here to submit your photo online.”

Once you have submitted your photo and it has been approved, you have the option to authenticate your digital ID. To authenticate your ID, log in here, click on “Validate Identity”, and submit your supporting documentation.

Please allow up five business days from the time you submitted your photo holding government ID for the “Not Validated” to be removed from your digital ID. If after five business days “Not Validated” is still on your card please contact

How do I access my digital student ID?

The digital ID is located on the George Brown College app. Install the app on your mobile device and login with your college username and STU-VIEW password.

How do I use my student ID?

Your George Brown College student ID identifies you as a student at the college and can be used to access college services and student discounts.

Student ID is required:

  • During tests and exams on campus
  • For residence access
  • In cases where you need to access campus for resources and events

Your Student ID can also get you external discounts by identifying you as a student the College:

  • TTC monthly discount pass
  • Go Transit discount
  • Student discounts at clothing stores, eateries, the AGO and ROM, etc.
What do returning students have to do to access their student ID? 

Your card is still valid. No updates are required for the card as long as your program code stays the same.

How do I access the Library Learning Commons (LLC)?

Select library locations are open with limited in-person services. You can access the libraries at these locations by following the George Brown College protocol for accessing GBC campuses.

Can I access my locker?

Visit the Lockers page for details on how to rent a locker.

If you have questions, email

How do I order a Confirmation of Enrolment?

Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) is available online to current domestic students only. Visit to request your official electronic documents. Please note, you must be a registered student to request a COE online.


OSAP students

The Financial Aid department will automatically confirm your enrolment once you are registered. You will not need to request a COE.

International students

If you are an international student, please make a request at

Can I get help paying for food?

Peerconnect, in partnership with FoodShare Toronto, offers the Student Emergency Good Food Box program.

Students who sign up will receive a box of fresh fruits and vegetables delivered to their door. Students can now opt to receive an electronic gift card if they would prefer to set up the delivery for themselves.

Students can sign up for a box every Monday at 1 p.m. at

Fall 2021 semester

Is there a tuition payment plan for the Fall 2021 semester?

We recognize that COVID-19 has presented challenges for students, including unanticipated financial pressures, and so we have established a tuition payment plan for the Fall 2021 semester.  

The payment plan is available to new and returning domestic students and returning international students.  

Students can pay their Fall 2021 semester tuition in full on Friday, Aug. 20, 2021, or in three instalments due on the following dates:  

  • First instalment — Friday, Aug. 20, 2021  
  • Second instalment — Monday, Sept. 20, 2021  
  • Third instalment — Friday, Oct. 22, 2021  

How to sign up for the tuition payment plan  

Students can sign up for the Fall 2021 semester tuition payment plan on STU-VIEW. The application opens Monday, August 9, 2021. Students must be registered for fall semester programs to qualify.  

Will there be tuition reductions because programs are delivered remotely?

While the learning format is different, we remain committed to helping you build the skills and experience you need to kick-start your career. Tuition fees support the cost of academic program delivery, including instruction, assessment and administration, all of which are still taking place. These fees also support the many student support services that are now being delivered online, including virtual counselling sessions, tutoring, career advising, Accessible Learning Services and more. Tuition is not specific to location or mode of delivery. With this in mind, we will not be offering discounts for the Fall 2021 semester. This applies to both domestic and international students. George Brown remains committed to helping students complete their programs, and we will continue to ensure that learning outcomes are met while programs are being delivered through alternative and remote formats.

Given that most athletic capital and infrastructure projects have been put on hold due to COVID-19 we will be waiving the Athletics Building Capital fee ($32 per student) for the Fall 2021 semester. For information about virtual athletics programs visit our Staying Healthy at Home webpage.

All other fees will continue to be charged since services continue to be offered to students.


Winter 2022 semester

*UPDATED* What will the Fall 2021 semester look like?

We’re excited to offer more on-campus experiences for the Winter 2022 semester, including some fully on-campus programs, activities and services. Most programs will be delivered in a hybrid model.

Find the full list of programs and how they are being delivered on the Winter 2022 Semester Program Delivery page

Please note that programs and services are subject to change based on the latest guidance from public health officials. 


Online programs and the online element of hybrid programs will be a combination of real-time (synchronous) and pre-recorded (asynchronous) delivery and will use a combination of online tools, such as Blackboard, Microsoft Teams and Zoom. There will likely be online tools that are specific to various programs. Your professors and/or program coordinator will provide details.  


Find program contacts below if you have specific questions: 

Centre for Arts, Design and Information Technology

Centre for Business

Centre for Community Services & Early Childhood

Centre for Construction & Engineering Technologies

Centre for Health Sciences

Centre for Hospitality & Culinary Arts

School of Hospitality and Tourism Management

Centre for Preparatory & Liberal Studies

Continuing Education

Online learning is new to me. Where can I find support?

Check out our Online Learning site for tips and resources on how to be a successful remote learner. It offers five modules you can complete at your own pace.

Get started at

Students can also find academic support at our Tutoring and Learning Centre (TLC). The TLC offers online services including real-time chats. 

And our Library Learning Commons staff are available online to help students with research questions. 

Is there a tuition payment plan for the Winter 2022 semester?

We recognize that COVID-19 has presented challenges for students, including unanticipated financial pressures, and so we have established a tuition payment plan for the Winter 2022 semester.  

The payment plan is available to new and returning domestic students and returning international students.  

Students can pay their Winter 2022 semester tuition in full on Monday, December 13, 2021, or in three instalments due on the following dates:  

First instalment — Monday, December 13, 2021 
Second instalment — Friday, January 21, 2022  
Third instalment — Friday, February 18, 2022

How to sign up for the tuition payment plan  

Students can sign up for the Winter 2022 semester tuition payment plan on STU-VIEW. The application opens Monday, November 15, 2021. Students must be registered for winter-semester programs to qualify.  

Financial supports

What emergency financial supports are available to me?

The Student Association and George Brown College COVID-19 Relief Fund aims to assist domestic and international students facing financial emergencies due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Find more information, including FAQs specific to this fund, at

Student Association supports

You can learn more about other financial services and supports provided by the Student Association at

Will student grants or awards for 2021-22 be impacted by COVID-19?

Student grants and awards will go ahead as usual. Find more information about Student Awards at

International students

Students coming to Toronto for their programs can find information on travel requirements, including having an arrival and quarantine plan, pre-and post-flight COVID-19 testing, the iCent app, and mandatory documents on the Travelling to Canada page.

Is George Brown on the list of approved Designated Learning Institutes (DLIs) for international students to enter Canada?

Yes. George Brown College is on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) list of approved designated learning institutions (DLI).

Travelling to Canada

Can I start my online studies from my home country (outside of Canada) without a study permit approval or study permit?

Yes. You can begin your online studies from outside of Canada until December 31, 2021, and count time studied from abroad towards your future post-graduate work permit (PGWP).

These measures apply to all international students who:  

  • meet all the other PGWP requirements,


  • have been enrolled in a program that was in progress in March 2020, or
  • have started or will start a program between spring 2020 and fall 2021, and
    • have a study permit, or 
    • have been approved for a study permit, or 
    • have applied for a study permit before starting your study program
      • your study permit must eventually be approved 

Note: If you started your online studies outside Canada before you applied for a study permit, you may still be eligible for a PGWP. Only the time you spent studying online after your application was received will count toward the length of your PGWP.

How much of my studies count toward a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

You can complete 100 per cent of your studies online from outside Canada.

All your time studying online outside Canada between spring 2020 and December 31, 2021, counts toward the length of a PGWP. This applies even if you’re completing two study programs.

If you’re completing two study programs, you can finish 100 per cent of your studies online if the programs were ongoing or started between March 2020 and fall 2021, and 

  • both study programs are from an eligible DLI (designated learning institution) and are completed within two years 

  • each program meets all PGWP eligibility requirements and is at least eight months long 

The following time won’t count toward the length of a PGWP: 

  • time spent studying outside Canada after December 31, 2021 

  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit. 

For more information, please visit

Where can I find the latest COVID-19 updates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)?
What are my accommodation options to quarantine when I arrive in Toronto?

George Brown College has identified certain accommodation options for students who are planning to travel to Toronto to attend their academic program of studies.

accommodation options

Students are responsible for making their own accommodation plans by reaching out to the contacts (or arranging a private accommodation) before travelling to Canada. Students are also responsible for all fees/costs related to their accommodations. 

Travelling to Canada

Do I need to quarantine when I arrive?

As of July 5th, all air travellers to Canada who are fully vaccinated with one of the approved vaccines by Health Canada, are now exempt from 14 days quarantine. Please ensure to enter your vaccination information on the ArriveCAN app prior to your travel. All air travellers including those who have been fully vaccinated, are still required to present a good 14-day quarantine plan. Final determination of whether or not you qualify for the exemption is made by a government representative at the border or airport in Canada. In addition, the Govt. of Canada has announced easing of border measures for fully vaccinated travellers including the removal of the mandatory 3 days/nights at govt. approved hotels for all travellers beginning August 9th, 2021.

Please visit our International Students Traveling to Canada page for more information.

If I am fully vaccinated and I'm not required to quarantine when I arrive in Canada, am I able to access George Brown campus buildings right away?

George Brown College is guided by the protocols set by the government of Canada.  As such, if you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days AND you have NOT been advised to quarantine per the federal quarantine requirements, you are welcome on our campuses.

International - permits 

Can I extend my post-graduation work permit due to the covid-19 pandemic in Canada?

As part of the Government of Canada’s efforts to support international students through this challenging time, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, recently announced that former international students who hold or held a PGWP (post graduate work permit) will have the opportunity to apply for an open work permit. 

Foreign nationals in Canada affected by the pandemic with an expired or expiring PGWP will have a unique chance to apply for another open work permit. These will be valid for 18 months and allow former international students to remain in Canada, continue to seek employment and build their future in this country. 

Visit for more information.

If I'm extending my study or work permit or visa, do I have to provide biometrics within 30 days?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently announced that biometrics collection would be exempted for temporary resident applications submitted within Canada, including for study permits (and extensions), co-op work permits, temporary resident visas and post-graduation work permits.

For applications submitted outside of Canada, if the biometric site closest to you is closed, IRCC will automatically extend the deadline to give your biometrics. You are not required to give your biometrics until the site collection offices reopen. This applies even if your biometrics instruction letter (BIL) says you have 30 or 90 days.

IRCC will NOT issue a new BIL, however, you are required to take your original BIL to your new appointment to show proof of payment.

Can I extend my study permit if my program is now expected to be completed later than the original completion date?

International students are required to have a valid study permit for the entire duration of their program. If your study permit is expiring before the program completion date, you will be required to extend your study permit as early as possible. Students who are required to complete a Work-integrated learning component (e.g. co-op, externship, field placement, practicum) are also required to apply for/extend their co-op work permit as well.

For more information, please contact your International Student Advisor. (See FAQ - Who is my international student advisor?)

I need a proof of enrolment letter to extend my study permit/visa. How can I make the request?

International Student Services is currently working remotely to maintain student services for international students. Students can request their enrolment letter online at

It is also recommended that all international students submit a copy of their study permit online at to help us assist you better.

What if I have applied for my co-op work permit and have not yet been approved? Can I use my off-campus authorization (printed on my study permit) to work during the work-integrated learning term?

As a facilitation measure, IRCC has stated that study permit holders may use the off-campus work authorization for co-op if the work is less than 20 hours/week while waiting for their co-op application. If the co-op application is refused, they must stop working immediately.

International — student health insurance

How can international students book a COVID-19 vaccination appointment in Ontario?

Ontario has expanded COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to anyone 18 and older.

Ontario residents can book their appointments online with the province at or through their local (Toronto) health unit.

For a Toronto Health Unit vaccine appointment, please see the information below:

FCJ Refugee Centre 
Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Telephone: 416-469-9754 ext. 230 and 232
WhatsApp: 437-217-3786 
In-person booking (by appointment only) at 208 Oakwood Ave., Toronto.  
Phone interpretation services are available as needed  

Access Alliance 
Monday, Tuesday, Friday: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m; Wednesday: 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.; and Thursday: 12:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Telephone: 416-760-8677   
In-person booking (by appointment only) at 761 Jane St. location.  
Phone interpretation services are available as needed.  

Toronto Public Health Hotline
8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily
Telephone: 416-338-7600
TTY: 416-392-0658 
For more information please visit,

Do I have to pay for a vaccine while in Canada?

Morcare is the health benefits provider for international students. It provided the following update on April 14, 2021:

These vaccines are government-funded and to date, plans have not paid out any covid vaccine claims. After extensive research, our findings have been that it is expected students will not have to pay any amount out of pocket to receive their vaccine.

Should this change, and students have to unexpectedly pay, Morcare does have coverage in place to help.

Covid vaccination will be covered for the 2020-21 policy year under the standard vaccination coverage of Morcare.

• Vaccination coverage under Morcare is $150 @ 100%.

Students can contact Morcare via live chat at, via email at, and via phone at 1-888-985-1552 with any questions.

Visit our COVID-19 vaccine information page for additional information on vaccines.

I'm worried about my health insurance coverage. Am I covered?

International students currently residing in Canada are covered for medical visits, tests, and hospitalization regarding the COVID-19 virus. Current International students should reach out directly to the insurance provider (Morcare) at 1-888-472-8356 or 1-888-985-1552 with questions. For more information please visit their website:

Alternatively, you can also contact Student Association with any health insurance coverage via email:

Will I have health insurance coverage if I arrive earlier than my semester start date?

Upon request, insurance for new George Brown students shall commence 30 days before the effective date stated on the application on file with the Insurance Administrator, provided the premium has been paid if the Insured Person arrives before such effective date. Early arrival covers acute conditions that require immediate assistance, hospital/ER, walk-in clinic, doctor visits, hospitalization but excluding pre-existing conditions.

Students should directly contact the Student Association Health Benefits Office at with any health insurance-related queries.

International - remote learning

How will remote learning schedules work for students in different time zones?

Whether course delivery is synchronous (in real-time) or asynchronous (completed in student’s own time) is determined by your program coordinator.

Once you’ve registered for your courses, connect with your program coordinator for details of online learning schedules.

My work-integrated learning component is cancelled. What are my next steps?

International students whose work-integrated learning component (co-op/field placement/externship) has been cancelled/postponed, must first connect with their academic program coordinators or placement coordinators to determine the new dates. Once the dates have been confirmed and IF your co-op work permit and/or study permit needs to be extended, please contact your international student advisor (visit for their contact details, or see the 'Who is my international student advisor?' FAQ below).

Who is my international student advisor?

Contact Michelle Choi via email at if you are in the following centres:

  • Preparatory and Liberal Studies
  • Construction and Engineering Technologies
  • School of Computer Technology
  • School of Fashion & Jewellery
  • School of Performing Arts

Contact Ali Agha via email at if you are in the following centres:

  • Hospitality and Culinary Arts
  • Community Services and Health Sciences
  • School of Media
  • School of Design

Contact Charissa Hu via email at if you are in the following centres:

  • Centre for Business
  • School of ESL
  • School of Early Childhood

Online privacy

We understand you may have questions and concerns about privacy during a semester that is delivered in a remote format. George Brown College takes privacy and security concerns seriously and is committed to taking steps to protect your privacy online. We’ve addressed questions we’ve received from students below.

If you have a question about online safety and privacy, please email


Normally group work would happen in-class or on-campus. With remote learning, your classmates may contact you on different online platforms and at different times, which can be overwhelming.

Your professor can assist you with setting guidelines for appropriate online group work, including recommended platforms, optimal timing and expectations for behaviours.

At George Brown, classroom management is the responsibility of your teaching faculty. And this extends to online engagements between students that are facilitated by the professor or required for academic work.

If throughout the semester you have any concerns concerning the behaviour of classmates in online group work, speak to your professor(s) immediately.

You can also connect with Counselling and Student Wellbeing for support and advice on setting boundaries.


George Brown College tracks data that tells us about the use of our online learning and other IT systems. This helps the college support IT troubleshooting, maintenance and data security, and tailor the delivery of IT services to support learning and teaching.

Professors may use data on how students access course materials, for example, to follow up with students who have fallen behind.

We may also use online proctoring technology that collects video images and other data from the test-taking process to maintain academic integrity.


This is a valid concern and one that is covered by a few college policies.

All students are required to seek permission to record classes, including video chats and conferences. This policy is covered by George Brown College’s Student Code of Behaviour and Community Standards.

Students who receive an academic accommodation to record a class should let their instructor know and receive the instructor’s acknowledgement to proceed with the recording of the class.

Any recordings made of class content are not to be copied, and are only for a student’s personal use, for study and learning purposes. Unauthorized access or use of any course-related materials and inappropriate use of digital technology are violations of the George Brown College Academic Integrity Policy. Any violation of this policy can be reported to the department Chair or Public Safety and Security.


Expectations for class participation, including what is required for participation marks, are set by professors. When professors set these expectations, they are required to follow guidelines (as set out in the college’s Academic Policies) and communicate them to students.

Your professor should share their expectations at the beginning of your courses. They will tell you what will be used for grading and whether live video class participation is required as a graded component of the course.

Make sure you read your course outline completely and ask your professors questions if you are not clear of the expectations.

If factors related to the physical environment, such as a lack of privacy in your home, create challenges for you when it comes to appearing on video, you’re encouraged to speak with the professor or program coordinator.

If there are disability-related reasons that present barriers to appearing on video, students should contact and register with Accessible Learning Services to ensure that appropriate methods for course participation and evaluation are available to them.

You can also connect with Counselling and Student Wellbeing to assist with any issues related to feelings of stress or discomfort in these circumstances.

Student Association of George Brown College (SAGBC)

Can I still access SA legal support?

The Student Association continues to provide legal support related to financial issues. See the Student Association website for more information and email Bill Reid at for consultation and advice.

What about Student Association events?

Please check and their social channels (below) for information on online events.

Main SA Social Media: Instagram: @sagbc Facebook: @SAofGBC Twitter: @sagbc

Community Care Centre Facebook: @communitycarecentre Instagram: @communitycarecentre

Recreation and Events: Instagram: @sagbcevents Facebook: @EventsSquad

What happens if I have academic issues or concerns?

The Student Association’s academic support program is available to you through email or at our hotline 416-415-5000 ext. 6320.

Who do I contact if I have health plan questions?

E-mail: or website

Phone: 1-800-315-1108

Regarding COVID-19:

  • Morcare call centre is available to assist with any inquiry and coverage confirmation. Students can reach them at 1-888-985-1552
  • Students can also reach out to the insurance company directly. Students can reach IAssist at 1-866-472-8356

Tech support

How do I access tech support?

Tech support is available online through GBC Assist. Find troubleshooting tips and submit your service request at

How do I reset my password?

Connect with the Contact Centre for assistance at (416) 415-2000 or 1-800-265-2002.

How can I access specialized software for my program that I can't run on my computer?

The library has a service that enables some students to remotely access software on the desktop computers at LLC locations using your personal computer or laptop loaned from the library. Access is limited to students who are in programs that require specialized software.

You will need to set up a VPN client on your computer. For help setting up a VPN and using Labstats, or to find out if your program is eligible, visit GBC Assist.


I'm having problems with Blackboard. Where do I get help?

If you have forgotten your password, you can try one of the following:

  1. Use the Forgot Password? Link on the Blackboard login page
    -Use the Forgot Your Password? link on the Blackboard Login page
    -Enter your ID number and click 'Forgot your password, then answer your secret challenge questions to reset your password
  2. Visit and log in using your student ID
    -From the self-serve menu, select Change Password
    -Enter your current password in the Current Password field
    -Click on and review the criteria for your new password
    -Enter your new password and confirm your new password in each field
    -Click OK
  3. Download the GBC app, and change your password directly from the home menu of your app
  4. Connect with the Contact Centre for password support


Work-integrated learning (field placements, clinical placements, co-ops)

What happens to my work-integrated learning opportunity?

Many of our employer partners are hosting virtual and in-workplace (if appropriate) work-integrated learning and co-op placements. Students can contact their program coordinator to confirm the status of work-integrated learning opportunities.