- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent with six Grade 12 (M or U) courses including:
- Grade 12 English (ENG4U)
- Grade 12 Biology (SBI4U)
- Grade 12 Chemistry (SCH4U)
- Grade 11 Math (M or U) MCF3M , MCR3U or Grade 12 (U) MHF4U, MCV4U, MDM4U
Mature Student Status:
- Must be 21 years of age by December 31 of the year in which they will commence studies; must have been away from formal education for at least two years; and must be Canadian Citizens, or permanent residents, or sponsored by a Canadian governmental
- Mature students must also have Grade 12 (U) courses (or equivalent) in English, Biology and Chemistry, and Math at the 12U or Grade 11 (M or U level), or higher.
The grade(s) required in the subject prerequisites will be subject to competition. Typically, a minimum grade of 70% in each subject prerequisite and a minimum average of 80% for 6 grade 12 M/U courses establishes eligibility for admission consideration.
Actual minimum grade ranges and average of top 6 grade 12 M/U courses required for admission will be determined based on grades and qualifications presented by the applicant pool as they become available. Required grades and average may fluctuate
from year to year (up or down) as a result of competition. This means candidates may be required to present averages/grades above the minimum.
This is a highly competitive program. As a result, all applications, including all supporting documentation (official transcripts, Supplementary Application Forms, outstanding grades, etc.), must be received on or before the equal consideration deadline
date of February 1.
This program is open to domestic applicants only.
- ENG4U/EAE4U is the preferred English credit.
- All applicants not currently enrolled in a full-time high school program, or, at the request of George Brown College, must also complete the Collaborative Nursing Supplementary Application Form found here: ryerson.ca/nursingdegree/admissions
- Applicants who have been absent from full-time formal education for a period of 10 years or longer must repeat prerequisite subjects to ensure currency of knowledge and preparedness for the program.
- Applicants with prior university or college study must present a minimum combined grade point average (CGPA) of 2.33 (C+) and be considered “In Good Standing” with no failures in core prerequisite subjects in order to be considered. Higher CGPAs/averages
may be required subject to competition.
- Only applications to the first year of the Nursing program will be considered, and consideration is limited to applicants without prior post-secondary studies in Nursing. Advanced standing for students with prior Nursing studies cannot be
- Prior application information, including transcripts, Supplementary Application Forms, and residency/language information must be submitted for each application cycle. Documentation from prior applications to this, or other programs
at George Brown College, will not be used to meet admissions requirements for a new application to this program.
- For more information you may visit our program website at nursingdegree.ca
Submitting International Documentation
Applicants with international education must submit original official transcripts in support of their application. An evaluation of these documents will not be accepted as meeting the admission requirements. If your documents are in a
language other than English, you must provide the documents in the original languages, as well as certified/notarized literal English translations.
This is a Collaborative program that follows Ryerson University's Admissions Policy on the collection of documents:
"You are personally responsible for the submission of both secondary and all postsecondary school academic transcripts, regardless of the date of completion and the country of origin. You should make all the necessary arrangements for submission of required
transcripts at the time of application to ensure documents are received by applicable deadlines. Academic studies required for admission must be completed or in progress at the time of application. Transcripts must show the individual marks or grades
achieved in each course or subject taken, as well as the diploma/ degree awarded (if applicable)."
Additional Nursing Program Requirements
In accordance with the policy of the program, the Public Hospitals Act, other legislation and the requirements of the practice placement settings, the Practice Requirements Record must be completed in its entirety by your health-care provider and all
supporting documents must be attached. Practice Requirements Record form with full instructions can be obtained from the GBC-Clinical Pre-placement Office at georgebrown.ca/preplacement/nursing.
Requisite Skills and Abilities for Nurses
Applicants who wish to quality to become a registered nurse in Ontario are strongly encouraged to review the requisite skills for nurses listed on the College of Nurses website.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants from a country where English is not the first language, or where English is an official language but not the first language, including applicants who have resided in Canada for four calendar years or less (i.e. official date of entry to
Canada was on or after January 1, 2015 for Fall 2019), are required to present proof of English Language Proficiency at a satisfactory level by submitting official alternate English language proficiency test results (TOEFL/IELTS/MELAB/CAEL/PTE)
subject to the minimum results, as posted on Ryerson's English Language requirements web pages.
Domestic students should apply through Ontario Colleges