Depending on the type of vaccine exemption you are seeking there are different processes in place to submit exemptions:
- Students who are seeking an exemption on medical grounds must submit their exemption request through the Verified by Synergy Gateway platform.
- Students seeking an exemption on religion/creed grounds must complete and submit the college's Religion/Creed Vaccine Exemption Request form.
How To Submit A Medical Exemption Request:
- Log into STU-VIEW with your George Brown College username and password. We recommend using the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Safari is not supported by the Verified platform.
In STU-VIEW, go to the “Additional Student Services” tab and locate “COVID-19 Vaccination Verification”.
After you have been re-directed, please set-up your account. You must use your George Brown College email and the name the college has on file for you.
- Once logged in to the Verified by Synergy Gateway platform, click on the 'Important Forms' tab.
- Under 'Consent Forms', please download the 'GBC Medical Exemption Form'.
- Once you and your physician have completed the medical exemption form, please upload it to the Verified by Synergy Gateway platform.
- Wait 3-5 business days for a status update. You will receive an email notifying you of the status of your request and the response can be found within the 'Communications' tab within the Verified by Synergy Gateway platform.
How To Submit A Religion/Creed Exemption Request:
Students seeking an exemption on religion/creed grounds must complete and submit the college's Religion/Creed Vaccine Exemption Request Form.
Exemption requests will be determined based on the Ontario Human Rights Code and any other governing regulatory/legislative requirements. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis by relevant college stakeholders in Student Success or Human Resources. Members of the college community are encouraged to review information from the Ontario Human Rights Commission (OHRC) relating to the OHRC policy statement on COVID-19 vaccine mandates and proof of vaccine certificates and the OHRC’s FAQs.
When And How Will I Hear Back About My Exemption Request?
Most medical exemption requests are evaluated within 3-5 business days. You will receive an email notifying you of the status of your request and the response can be found within the 'Communications' tab within the Verified by Synergy Gateway platform.
Most religion/creed requests are evaluated within 5 business days. You will receive an email to your George Brown email address notifying you of the status of your request.
What If I Don't Want To Get Vaccinated And I Don't Qualify For An Exemption?
Registered students must show proof of full vaccination to gain access to our campuses by November 1, 2021. If you do not show proof of vaccination by that time, and you are not eligible for an exemption, you may need to withdraw from your program.
Full-time students registered for the Fall 2021 semester have until September 20 to withdraw from their program with a partial refund. If you are unable to withdraw by the September 20 deadline, you may will need to appeal to be considered for a refund.
Appeals are only considered for extenuating circumstances and supporting documentation to demonstrate proof of circumstance is required. To submit an appeal for late withdrawal, you will need to complete the Appeal for Late Withdrawal Form which is available by emailing email@example.com. Your appeal may be submitted within three (3) months from the end of the term appealed. Requests from previous terms will be considered on an individual basis. Allow 4 to 6 weeks from the receipt date for a response on your appeal. Appeals must be submitted to the Registration Office.
Domestic Students, if you need to withdraw from your program please withdraw via STU-VIEW and select “Vaccination Policy” in the drop-down box as the reason for the withdrawal.
International Students, please submit the GBC INTL Withdrawal/Refund Request Form found here: georgebrown.ca/international/accepted-students/withdrawal-and-refund-policy
Domestic students, please note that withdrawing from your program will affect your OSAP.
Who Do I Contact For Technical Support With The Synergy System?
Please visit Synergy Gateway’s online help desk.