Graduating International Students

  • graduating students

  • Congratulations on completing your studies at George Brown College. With the education that you now have, a wealth of opportunity awaits you. To make sure that you graduate officially and are ready to work after graduation, there are a few things that require your attention. First, make sure you are aware of the date and location of convocation so that you can attend. And it is also important to register as an alumnus, so you can take advantage of services available to you including GBCareers, our online job board, career counselling, events and networking opportunities.

  • Expand All


    Graduation is an exciting time for every George Brown College student. Convocation is the ceremony at which a successful student’s degree or certificate is publicly presented.

    The word Convocation means “a calling together” and convocation is a ceremony where you, along with a new community of graduates, are called together in celebration of your academic achievement – an important moment in every student’s life!

    View your convocation ceremony date and time schedule.

    Post Graduation Health Insurance

    Open Work Permit Holders (including those in CIC’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program) as well as their spouses and dependants may be eligible for Ontario Health Insurance Coverage provided they are employed full-time for an employer in Ontario for a minimum of six months, have a valid work permit during this time, and:

    • Maintain  primary place of residence in Ontario; and are
    • Physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in any 12-month period; and are
    • Physically present in Ontario for 153 of the first 183 days immediately after establishing residency in the province
    • Further information on the changes concerning Temporary Foreign Workers  

    For more detailed information regarding OHIP eligibility and the changes to OHIP eligibility rules refer to the Eligibility fact sheet.  

    To speak with someone regarding your OHIP eligibility contact the INFOline at 1-800-268-1154 or visit your local Service Ontario – Health Card Services – OHIP office.

    Alumni Services

    George Brown International works hard to continue our history and tradition of producing graduates who have found exciting and successful careers all over the world. We are proud of our graduates’ accomplishments and eager to hear your feedback on the College and its programs. If you’re a recent graduate we have a number of supports in place to help you put your education to great use.
    Check out these sites for career opportunities, advice and more:

    Post Graduation Careers

    At George Brown College we’re dedicated to providing our students with the tools and skills they need to enter the Canadian — and global – workforce and to find success in their chosen career path when they get there.  GBCareers is an online job site specifically for George Brown students and graduates that gives you on-line access to hundreds of job offerings. Our Alumni Career Services page has a number of services and supports that will help you along the way with your job search.

    Post-Graduation Work Permit

    Apply Online!

    International Students must have valid documents to be able to stay and study in Canada.

    Visitors, workers and students can apply online at for faster processing.

    Whenever possible, students are encouraged to apply online to extend their study permit, TRV, and/or apply or renew their work permits. If you have already submitted a paper application, please do not submit an electronic application as this will not speed up processing.

    Post-graduation Work Permit

    International students are eligible to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit that is valid from 8 months to up to three (3) years, depending on the duration of the academic program successfully completed.  Please be advised that a small number of programs at the College (B412, Analytics for Business Decision-Making; B413, Digital Media Marketing; and T402 Health Informatics) may not be eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit due to the higher % of online delivery in the program as specified in letters of acceptance.  Please check with Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) to confirm eligibility. For more information, please visit

    Highlights of the Post-Graduation Work Permit

    1. The permit is valid from 8 months to up to a maximum of three (3) years
    2. The permit allows students to work anywhere within Canada
    3. Students are not required to find a job related to their field of study.
    4. If you complete any Community and Health Sciences programs, H402, R107 and T402 programs, and want to work in your field, a recent medical exam by a Panel Physician may be required by CIC if you want to receive a Work Permit without any restrictions attached.
    5. Students do not need a job offer to apply for a post-graduation work permit.
    6. The work permit is an “open” permit and not employer specific (which means that students do not need to change their work permit every time they change a job).
    7. Post-Graduation Work Permit application may be done on-line or by mail

    Application Information

    If you’re an international student who wishes to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit you must:

    • Possess a valid Study Permit
    • Have graduated from an eligible program at a postsecondary institution
    • Apply for a permit within 90 days of your last day of class in your final semester. The official graduation eligibility date is the last day of study for all programs and reflected on the official transcripts as the degree awarded date.
    • Have not previously been issued a work permit for post-graduation employment following any other course of study
    • Submit signed copies of the appropriate forms along with supporting documentation
    • Submit a processing fee of $255

    How to Apply

    Applications for a Post-Graduation Work Permit can be submitted on-line or by mail. For details go to

    Confirmation of Graduation

    Students must submit their application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit within 90 days of receiving official notification that they have fulfilled the requirements to graduate.

    Medical Exam

    If the program you completed or the line of work you will be looking for involves working with Canadian families, the disabled, the elderly/seniors, or children or at any health care institutions and community services, and you want to work in this field, you may be required to get a recent (valid for 12 months) medical exam by a Panel Physician, to be issued a Work Permit without conditions. Please check the CIC website at or call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 for details.