Are you an international student planning to travel to Canada?
George Brown College is on Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s (IRCC) list of approved designated learning institutions (DLIs).
IRCC says you can travel to Canada if you meet the following requirements:
- you have documentation of a negative COVID-19 test (PCR) performed within 72 hours of your departure to Canada,
- you have a valid study permit or letter of introduction,
- you're attending an approved designated learning institute (DLI),
- you have submitted your travel plan, including vaccination information, through the ArriveCAN app,
- you have a good 14-day quarantine plan (regardless of whether you are fully vaccinated or not).
Students who are not in Canada and are enrolled in a hybrid program with an in-class/in-person component will be required to travel to Canada. (Note: any studies completed outside of Canada after Dec. 31,2021, will not be counted towards post-graduation work permit eligibility).
Family members accompanying international students will be assessed by a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer as to whether the purpose of travel to Canada is non-discretionary/non-optional.
As of July 5th, all air travellers to Canada who are fully vaccinated with one of the approved vaccines by Health Canada, are now exempt from 14 days quarantine. Please ensure to enter your vaccination information on ArriveCAN app prior to your travel. All air travellers including those who have been fully vaccinated, are still required to present a good 14-day quarantine plan. Final determination of whether or not you qualify for the exemption is made by a government representative at the border or airport in Canada. In addition, the Govt. of Canada has announced easing of border measures for fully vaccinated travellers including the removal of the mandatory 3 days/nights at govt. approved hotels for all travellers beginning August 9th, 2021.
George Brown College is guided by the protocols set by the government of Canada. As such, if you have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days AND you have NOT been advised to quarantine per the federal quarantine requirements, you are welcome on our campuses.
Student Arrival and quarantine guidelines
Below please see information to support you in your travel and quarantine upon arrival in Canada.
Download the iCent app
George Brown College requires all international students who are travelling from outside Canada to download the iCENT app and check-in daily.
As part of Canada’s efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, it is mandatory for students to DOWNLOAD the ArriveCAN app (available for IOS, Android or use the Web format).
Students will need to pass a health check before they’re allowed to board their flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel to Canada.
When you arrive in Canada, your health will be assessed when you speak to the CBSA officer. If you are unvaccinated or have been determined by the border that you are not exempt from quarantine requirements, you must quarantine for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms. There may be serious consequences and enforcement under the Quarantine Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for non-compliance with the quarantine requirement.
If you develop symptoms during your flight to Canada, you must tell a CBSA officer when they arrive in Canada. If you fail to do so there may be consequences under the Quarantine Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. If you do not have symptoms but believe you were exposed to someone who was sick with COVID-19, under the Quarantine Act, you must report this to a CBSA officer when they get to Canada. The CBSA officer will give them instructions to follow.
International students are required to have valid medical insurance coverage when you enter Canada in order to obtain medical care if they become sick during their quarantine period. While in quarantine, you will be unable to leave their quarantine location unless it is medically necessary to do so.
Students who do not have a good 14-day quarantine plan, including how you will buy groceries and access other essential services, are advised to delay their travel until they have made a plan, as failure to do so may result in being refused entry to Canada by the CBSA.
The Government of Canada requires all air passengers to test negative for COVID-19 before travelling from another country to Canada. Travellers must present documentation of a negative test to the airline before boarding a flight to Canada. The test must be performed using a COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and must be taken within 72 hours of the traveller’s scheduled departure to Canada.
Anyone who receives a negative test result and is authorized to enter Canada must still complete the 14-day quarantine.
You will be required to take a test before leaving Toronto Pearson airport. You will also be provided with a COVID-19 At Home Specimen Collection Kit to use for your test on day 10 of your mandatory quarantine.
Fully Vaccinated Travellers:
Fully vaccinated travellers will not need to take a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.
Day 8 Testing
Unvaccinated travellers are required to take another covid-19 test on day 8 of your mandatory quarantine. You must stay in your place of quarantine until you receive a negative test result. Your kit will contain everything you need to know about how to collect, store and ship your sample.
Your kit will contain everything you need to know about how to collect, store and ship your sample.
For more information, please visit: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#day-10-test
All travellers flying to Canada as a final destination must use the ArriveCAN app to submit the following information:
- travel and contact details
- quarantine plan for 14 days
- COVID-19 symptom self-assessments
Once you submit your information through ArriveCAN:
- a receipt will be displayed
- show the receipt to a Canadian border services officer when you enter
- you can show your ArriveCAN receipt from the app as a screenshot or printout.
If your travel details change before you enter Canada
If you've already submitted your information and have an ArriveCAN receipt, start over in ArriveCAN. ArriveCAN will clear your previous information.
Requirements after you've entered Canada
All travellers who are not exempted from the 14-day quarantine must check in and confirm arrival at your quarantine location via the ArriveCAN app the day after arriving in Canada. You must complete daily symptom self-assessments throughout your 14-day quarantine period.
You must report through the app to do the following:
- confirm that you've arrived at the address you provided for your quarantine or isolation location
- complete daily COVID-19 symptom self-assessments until the completion of your quarantine period or until you report symptoms
If you can’t use ArriveCAN after your entry, call 1-833-641-0343 daily during your quarantine period.
Find more information about the ArriveCAN app at canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html.
In addition to regular packing requirements, please also bring:
- 60 disposable face masks OR 30 disposable and 1 reusable cloth face mask;
- One large bottle of quality hand sanitizer;
- One box of Nitrile gloves;
- A thermometer.
Please also have the following with you in your carry-on luggage: at least 2 masks, several pairs of gloves, a travel sized bottle of hand-sanitizer and some disinfecting wipes.
Documents to Bring with You
Make sure you have the following documents available in your carry-on luggage when you arrive. You will be required to present these to a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer when going through Canadian customs and immigration:
- Valid Study permit or POE letter of introduction ( study permit approval document);
- A print-out copy of your Letter of Acceptance AND Semester timetable (Stu-view) AND Tuition payment receipt;
- Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada;
- ArriveCAN receipt (electronic or paper);
- Copy of negative pre-arrival covid19 test result;
- Copy of your vaccination information (if applicable);
- Quarantine site contact information (if available);
- A print-out copy of your quarantine plan (available via iCENT app).
Please provide a print-out copy of your Letter of Acceptance and semester timetable (download on STU-VIEW) and your tuition payment receipt.
Please request an enrolment letter here: https://applynow.georgebrown.ca/International/letterrequest
While in transit to the airport, in airports and during flights:
- Wear a mask and gloves;
- Wash hands frequently;
- Use hand sanitizer when necessary;
- Practice physical distancing (minimum 2 metres from others);
- Sanitize your personal space and high touch areas;
- Minimize trips to the washroom (Flush the toilet with the seat cover down);
- Touch as few surfaces as possible;
- Keep your cell phone charged.
Arrival in Canada:
- Wear a fresh mask;
- Proceed through immigration and baggage pick up while maintaining physical distancing;
- Present appropriate documentation (see: Documents to bring with you) to the Canada Border Services Agency officer;
- Move as quickly as possible through the baggage area and do not enter any stores in the airport;
- Meet your driver at the agreed pick-up location or proceed to agreed transportation;
- Load your own luggage into the car and sit as far away from the driver as possible;
- Follow all instructions for Covid-19 safe check-in at your quarantine site.
As per the Government of Canada’s Quarantine Act, travellers who are not exempt from quarantine requirements (i.e. unvaccinated travellers) are required to quarantine for 14 days immediately upon arrival in Canada. This means that you must stay on your own in your room for 14 days and avoid contact with others. Your quarantine site will provide you with food, clean linens every couple of days, a comfortable room, access to television and Wi-Fi.
- Stay in your own room as much as possible and away from others. Do not leave your quarantine room unless there is a medical emergency;
- Keep your room well-ventilated and clean – open your window to let the air circulate;
- Practice good hygiene:
- Wash your hands frequently with plain soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow when coughing or sneezing, or use a tissue;
- Avoid coughing into either your hands or into the air;
- Dispose of used tissues right away into a trash bin and immediately wash your hands;
- Refer to the Covid-19 laundry policy at your quarantine site for having your clothes washed.
- Ensure to connect with the college’s monitoring team (college will contact individual students via telephone call and/or email during the 14 day quarantine);
- Connect with George Brown college’s support services;
- Stay connected with friends and family via text, email, facetime, etc.;
- Monitor your physical and mental well-being. If you are not feeling well, use the Government of Canada’s Covid-19 self-assessment tool to help determine if you need further assessment or testing. Immediately contact George Brown at georgebrown.ca/letstalkcovid19 and your quarantine provider if you feel sick.
- Access the Thrive Health COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool;
- If you cannot use the online tool, call 8-1-1
Please remember that 14-day quarantine is a mandatory requirement of the Quarantine Act and not optional.
For the duration of your stay in Canada, please be mindful of and respect public health directives.
- Continue to practice proper hygiene, including hand washing and use of hand sanitizer;
- Use proper coughing and sneezing etiquette;
- Practice physical distancing.
If you have any questions, please ensure to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students are responsible for making their own accommodation plans by reaching out to the contacts below (or arranging a private accommodation) prior to travelling to Canada. Students are also responsible for all fees/costs related to their accommodations.
- Affiliated Hotel Options
Please find a list of hotel accommodation options upon arrival in Toronto below. Please be aware of the following information:
- This is a referral only from George Brown College. George Brown does not take responsibility for any individual guest charges nor is the college liable for any hotel issues that might arise before, during, or after hotel stay.
- The hotels have quarantine measures in place; students and family members are asked to quarantine in their hotel rooms during the 14-day quarantine period. GBC International staff will contact the students regularly to ensure they comply with the quarantine requirements and get the support they need.
- Please direct all reservations and hotel related questions to the hotel Sales Manager/Staff whose name and contact details are located under each hotel.
- Capacity is limited at individual hotels and students who plan to quarantine at select hotels are encouraged to make their reservation well in advance of arrival in Canada.
HOLIDAY INN AIRPORT EAST TORONTO- *APPROVED FOR 3 DAY MANDATORY HOTEL QUARANTINE*
Address: 600 Dixon Road, Toronto ON, M9W 1J1
Mandatory 3-Night Quarantine:
- Rate of $319.00 per room per night plus taxes 17.52% on single occupancy; inclusive of all meals, transportation from airport, health & safety measures and other requirements as mandated by PHAC & Government of Canada x 3 nights = $1124.66
- For every additional person a charge of $100.00 per person will be applicable on double, triple and quadruple occupancies. At this time only family members can quarantine together (parents, children, spouse)
- Meals will be from our on-site restaurant Perkins Menu; guest can order any item from this menu for the applicable three nights only; limited to 1 dish per meal period.
- Out of 3-nights; the first 2 nights will be non-refundable and cannot be cancelled; 3rd night can be cancelled subject to receiving a negative COVID-19 test (in this case we will switch student effective the 3rd night on to student quarantine plan rate)
- Payment will be taken upon arrival for 2 nights and rest of the amount will be pre-authorized on the card (depending on their length of the stay)
- Credit Card or Debit Card is mandatory for the booking – no cash payments.
Booking process for Mandatory 3-Night Quarantine:
- Students are required to make their reservation via this number or link ONLY: GAA Government Approved Accommodation or call 1-800-294-8253 or 1-877.542.8745
- A unique alpha-numeric code is generated with the booking which is required to be declared at Immigration/ArriveCan app
- Student wishing to continue quarantining for the remainder of the 14 days quarantine period, will need to send us their 8 digit confirmation number + College Name in order to book 11 nights (remainder of their 14 nights quarantine)
Rates for the remainder of 14 days quarantine (i.e. 11 nights)
- Option A: Room only basis on single occupancy is $65.00 per night plus taxes 17.52% x 11 nights = $840.26
- Option B: Room + 3 Meals basis on single occupancy is $110.00 per night plus taxes 17.52% x 11 nights = $1421.99
- In case you choose Option A; you can buy meal period vouchers individually - breakfast at $10.00, lunch at $15.00 & dinner at $20.00 per person
In either option, an additional refundable deposit of $200 will be taken at check in; this will be returned to you at check-out after inspection of your room.
Victoria Shtern: email@example.com
Please reference code: GeorgeBrown600
THE WESTIN HARBOUR CASTLE- *NOT APPROVED FOR 3 DAYS MANDATORY HOTEL QUARANTINE*
Address: 1 Harbour Square, Toronto, ON, M5J 1A6, Canada
Price: $100.00 CAD per room per night, tax included single occupancy. $40.00 CAD, tax included for Pre-Packaged Lunch and Dinner delivered to their Door on every day of their Stay.
- Spacious and Clean Rooms with Downtown Toronto or Lake views
- Complimentary access to Basic Wi-Fi over their entire Stay
- TVs with Netflix
- Pre-Packaged Breakfast delivered to their Door on every day of their Stay
- $40.00 CAD, tax included for Pre-Packaged Lunch and Dinner delivered to their Door on every day of their Stay
- Optional Grocery / Necessities Delivery Service*
- Common Area that is equipped with Microwave and Kettle if International Student wants to take a quick Break outside their Room*
Option 1 (Hotel will help in arranging the Transportation with our Preferred Airport Limo Provider) $25.00 CAD will be shouldered by the Hotel
Option 2 (International Student taking an Uber)
$25.00 CAD Credit will be placed on the Guest’s Folio
Please note for an International Student to be able to avail of our Offer for the Airport Transfer and the Westin Welcome Package, minimum Stay should be fourteen (14) Nights.
Booking Contact Person:
Anna Criselda Aquino, firstname.lastname@example.org
HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS TORONTO DOWNTOWN
Address: 111 Lombard Street, Toronto, Ontario M5C 2T9
Price: $99 CAD per room per night, tax included single occupancy. $40 CAD, tax included for pre-packaged Lunch and Dinner (hot item included for Dinner) delivered to your door for every day of your 11 night stay.
- Rooms are equipped with WIFI, mini-fridge and microwave.
- Windows open up for fresh air.
- TV with movies on demand.
Transportation from the Airport Hotel to our Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown; cost is $95 plus tax (1-3 passengers):
- Visit www.redcarservice.com
- One way from Toronto International airport to Toronto and booking code holidayinnexDT
- Select private vehicle – Max 3 passengers
- Select the box that says ‘Click here to be picked up at a Toronto Airport Hotel’ then select your 3 day quarantine hotel and pick up time
- Select the ‘Hotel and Landmark’ box and select Holiday INN express Down Town
- Complete the personal information and payment
Transportation from Pearson International Airport to Affiliated Hotels
- All students will wear a mask at all times while travelling and during their time at Pearson International Airport. Social distancing will be practiced at all times
- Airport shuttles will be available through the recommended hotels at no charge (Note: Westin Harbour Castle offers subsidized transportation – not free) for arriving GBC students. Students are asked to contact the recommended hotels at least 48 hours before arrival to arrange for shuttle bus transfer from the airport to hotel.
Support for all quarantined individuals at Affiliated Hotels:
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be available for delivery to the student’s room door
- Any food orders will be left outside the room door
- The quarantined guests will be provided garbage bags for their garbage and dirty linen
- Garbage bags will be put in the hallway for pickup
- The guests can call the front desk during the day for fresh linens and guest amenities.
- Students and their families will be responsible for keeping their room(s) clean
- Laundry – Access to the coin operated laundry room- Hotel will provide all the guests with dryer sheets and laundry detergent pods
Covid-19 Control Protocols at Hotels:
- All staff have been trained in the Covid-19 prevention, such as social distancing, handwashing, sanitizing, and cleaning & disinfecting.
- Gloves and masks are supplied at the front desk for staff for a small fee
- Hand sanitizing stations have been installed.
- There is a plexiglass partition at the Front Desk.
- Hot buffet breakfast has been replaced with a “take out” breakfast
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner can be ordered to the student’s room or for picked up from hotel restaurant
- Items in room have been removed, such as coffee pots, cups, note pads & pens, bed scarves, guest directory, and tent cards.
- No outside guest visits will be allowed