REB applications are to be submitted to email@example.com, providing an email address, phone number, address and institution.
Documents for Application Submission
- George Brown College's Research Ethics Policy (mandatory reading)
- Integrity in Scholarly Research Policy (mandatory reading)
- REB Application form (for both single and multi-site research; mandatory)
- Ethics tutorial certificate of completion. Take TCPS 2 (2018) online tutorial (mandatory)
- TCPS 2 2018 Highlights of Changes (mandatory)
- TCPS 2 2018 Module 9 (recommended reading, mandatory if working with Indigenous population)
- Information letter (sample)
- Consent form (sample)
- Details of methodology, e.g., survey, list of interview questions (if applicable)
- REB approval and related comments from another institution (if applicable).
- Institutional Approval form (required unless exempted)
- Submission checklist (mandatory)
Signatures: Electronic signature will be accepted for any part of the application that requires an original signature.
Document Naming Protocol: All application documents must be labelled with the last name of the applicant followed by space, document type, space and date in YYYY-MMM-DD format
- If the document is a Consent Form completed by Barry Tone on January 1, 2020 the format must be:
Tone Consent 2020-Jan-01
- If the document is the application completed by Barry Tone on November 7, 2020 the format must be:
Tone Application 2020-Nov-07
IMPORTANT: Incomplete or inaccurate applications or attachments that do not use the REB standard document naming protocol will not be processed.
A copy of signed and dated REB application with supporting documentation must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received after 11am will be process the following business day. Incomplete applications will be returned to the researcher.
Applications for projects that pose no more than minimal risk to participants will be reviewed by at least two members of the board. This is a delegated review. Applications that potentially pose more than minimal risk to participants will receive a full review by the whole board.
On average the board takes 28 business days to review an application. However, depending on the number of applications the wait time may be longer. Applications for full reviews take up to 8 weeks to process. Applications submitted near the end of term will be subject to longer than usual delays.
Currency of REB Approval
DOCUMENTS FOR REVISION, RENEWAL & COMPLETION
REB approval is an on-going, consultative process. Researchers may expect to communicate with the REB anytime there is a diversion from the original, proposed research or when unforeseen issues arise that may affect the well-being of participants/researcher(s). In addition, the REB issues approval letters valid for one year only. If the study continues beyond one year, the researcher shall submit a Study Renewal Report before the original approval expires. At the conclusion of the study, the researcher shall submit a Study Completion Report.
- Form - Ontario Colleges - Change Request: submit a Change Request Form if your study has been previously approved but changes are required. Researcher must receive approval before proceeding.
- The Adverse Event Report: submit an adverse event form if an adverse event has occurred: including but not limited to loss/destruction of raw data, psychological/physical harm to participants/researcher(s) etc.
- Study Renewal Report: submit before the original approval expires.
- Study Completion Report: submit once the study is completed (applies to both independent research and course-based research applications)
If the appropriate report is not received by the approval end date the REB may contact the following:
- George Brown College staff – a letter will be sent to the PI's manager/division alerting him or her that your approval has lapsed.
- External (non-George Brown) researchers – a letter will be sent to the PI's institution (the Research Office or equivalent) alerting them that your approval has lapsed.
ATTENTION: Please use the same signature and document naming protocol as described in the Application Submission section.