About the Research Support Fund Program
We acknowledge the contributions of the Research Support Fund. The Research Support Fund assists Canadian postsecondary institutions and their affiliated research hospitals and institutes with the expenses associated with managing the research funded by the three federal research granting agencies.
A tri-agency initiative
The Research Support Fund is a tri-agency initiative of the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) and the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). It is administered by the Tri-agency Institutional Programs Secretariat, which is housed within SSHRC.
The program (formerly known as the Indirect Costs Program) was introduced in 2003 as part of the federal government’s strategy to make Canada one of the world’s top countries in research and development. It currently has a budget of nearly $400 million and serves more than 150 postsecondary institutions across the country.
What costs does the program support?
Examples of costs supported by the program are:
- Salaries for staff or students who provide administrative support for researchers and their projects;
- Training costs for workplace health and safety, as well as the development and promotion of equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives and practices;
- Costs related to the maintenance of libraries and laboratories; and
- Administrative costs associated with getting a patent for an invention.
George Brown currently has no affiliated institutions associated with this funding.
George Brown College Expenditure Categories
Institutions have flexibility in deciding how to use their grant, provided that the funds are used for the payment of current expenditures of indirect costs attributed to federally sponsored research that falls within the following five categories:
- Research facilities
- Research resources
- Management and administration of the institution's research enterprise
- Regulatory requirements and accreditation
- Intellectual property and knowledge mobilization
The entirety of our funds are applied to the management and administration of the institution's research enterprise. The expenditures will adhere to the general principles of the Research Support Fund (RSF) program.