What are the benefits of being a tutor or a peer leader?
- Develop or enhance key work skills such as communication, interpersonal skills, critical thinking, leadership, and commitment to inclusion
- Work regular weekly hours (up to 24hrs/week; based on TLC needs and your availability)
- Work online and/or on-campus
- Become a certified International Tutor Training Program Tutor
- Earn – as a Tutor - $ 17.44 per hour + 4% vacation pay
- Earn – as a Peer Leader - $19.68 per hour + 4% vacation pay
WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT IN THE ROLE OF A TUTOR?
- complete the TLC Tutor Training and Development program
- help your fellow students meet their learning goals
- work with students in one-on-one and group tutoring sessions or occasional workshops for small groups
- use TLC online tutoring platforms
- provide front-line support to students by answering general questions and troubleshooting basic technical issues related to tutoring/tutoring platforms
WHAT SHOULD YOU EXPECT IN THE ROLE OF A PEER LEADER?
- complete the TLC Peer Leader Training
- be assigned a tutorial/peer learning session to support an English, math, or accounting course; the group of students you’ll be working with may range from 5 to 30
- attend, weekly, a set amount of time in the course and/or complete self-learning of the course content
- prepare a weekly tutorial/peer learning session, including a plan, practice activities and accompanying materials
- facilitate weekly tutorials/peer learning sessions to help students review and practice course content/skills
- collect and report student attendance data
- get paid for tutorial prep and facilitation time
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS DO YOU NEED TO BECOME A TUTOR OR A PEER LEADER?
- Current George Brown student (full-time or part-time)
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- College English grade of A (English tutors) or college-level math grade of A (math tutors), or college-level accounting grade of A (accounting tutors)
- Prior tutoring and customer service experience an asset
- Prior college or university-level relevant courses an asset
- punctuality and reliability
- commitment to ongoing development of communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- commitment to helping others
- commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, diversity and inclusion
As you'll be working from home, you'll need
- a quiet space
- a desktop computer or laptop with a webcam and a microphone
- stable internet with minimum 5 mbps upload / 10mbps download speed to work via audio, video, and text. Test your speed here.
How to apply to become a peer tutor or a peer leader
We greatly appreciate your interest in working with us!
Complete the applicable application form below. Applications are only considered complete when all supporting documentation (cover letter, resume, transcript) is included. Please have those documents ready to upload to the application form.
Please note that the TLC will only contact those candidates selected for an interview. We are committed to employment equity. If selected for an interview and accommodations are required, please indicate on the application form. Interviews will include practical skills assessment. More information will be provided at the time of the interview invitation.