Program Comparison Help

Decision-making made easy! This tool gives you a breakdown of individual programs offered at George Brown College and how they differ from other programs you’re interested in. Use this tool to select up to 10 programs to compare, helping you make the right choice for the career you want.

1. Under Program Comparison, click Add a New Program

2. Search for one of the programs you’re interested in (either alphabetically, by interest or by job)

3. Click on the title of the program in the menu

4. Click Add to Comparison

5. Continue searching for programs using steps 2-4

6. When you’re done, clicking Program Comparison will give you a preview of the programs and the option to delete, add or clear all

7. Open Program Compare for more details and an easy-to-read comparison of the programs you’ve selected


Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR)

This section explains how you can earn academic credit for learning you’ve done before through work, school and/or life experiences.

What is PLAR? 

Prior learning assessment & recognition (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to obtain academic credit for one or more courses in a certificate, diploma or degree. You will need to demonstrate that you have acquired the necessary skills and knowledge through life experiences.  This may include work, training, independent study, volunteering, travel, hobbies and family experiences. 

Who can apply? 

PLAR candidates must be 19 years old or have an OSSD.

How does it work? 

PLAR is done on a course by course basis.  If a course covers material you already know, you can ask for an assessment of your knowledge.  This is called a “challenge.”  For example, if you have done a lot of computer work, you might challenge a computer course.  To assess your learning, you may be:

  • tested with written or oral exams, interviews, or case studies
  • assessed through a portfolio of your work that shows your skills.

Your learning will be evaluated as would happen in a classroom environment and your assessment will be graded.  This grade will appear on your transcript (PLAR does not result in an exemption), and will count towards your Grade Point Average (GPA).

You can get up to 75% of your credits through PLAR and transfer credits, and the other 25% must come from classes taken at the College.

How to apply 

If you’d like to discuss PLAR options, contact the PLAR Office at 416-415-5000, ext. 7527 (PLAR) or

The current PLAR Application Fee for the 2015 Academic Year is $118 per course.

The 2015 Academic Year runs from September 2015 to August 2016.

Download the Application for Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)  PDF icon

The PLAR Office can also provide you with the contact details of who you must contact (usually the Program Coordinator), to submit your PLAR Application Form and determine your eligibility for PLAR.

PLAR Self-Assessment Form

Your Program Coordinator will have a discussion with you about your prior learning experience to determine your eligibility for PLAR.  It is advisable to complete the PLAR Self-Assessment Form prior to any discussion with your Program Coordinator. 

The PLAR Self-Assessment Form will allow you to identify your skills, knowledge and abilities against the learning outcomes of the course, and assist you in to making an informed decision about pursuing PLAR. You will need access to the course outline and learning outcomes in order to fill this document in.  Click the link to find course outlines

Click to download the PLAR Self-Assessment Form template word icon

If you have any questions about how to fill in the PLAR Self-Assessment Form, contact the PLAR Office at 416-415-5000, ext. 7527 or

PLAR Policy

Click to read the PLAR PolicyPDF icon