George Brown College provides the ideal training ground to transform your need to dance into a profession.
Dance training at George Brown prepares you for an exciting career on stage or in front of the camera. Our diploma and certificate programs hone skills and techniques in various styles of dance, including ballet, jazz and hip hop. Real-world experience plays a big role in your training as well, with students performing for the public on professional Toronto stages.
See detailed program descriptions below.
We offer three Dance programs:
- Dance Performance Preparation: a one-year certificate program that offers broad training to help students determine the best way forward in their dance training.
- Dance Performance Studies: a two-year diploma program with a focus on ballet, but also includes training in modern and jazz.
- Commercial Dance Studies: a three-semester certificate program meant to train dancers to work in music videos, tour with bands and singers, work in musical theatre, resort and cruise ship performance and other commercial employment.
“The dance world is changing. It’s much more fluid than it used to be 20, 30 years ago,” said Ballet Jorgen founder Bengt Jörgen. “A lot of our grads get work in the dance community, but we also have a lot of students who work in the commercial field. And, of course, there are some people who work in ballet and in contemporary, modern dance. And we have several students who’ve gone on to work in musical theatre.”
Advantages of dance training at George Brown:
- Downtown Toronto: Study dance in the heart of Toronto, home to some of the country’s top dance companies. Immerse yourself in the local scene - study, see shows and be inspired!
- Make industry contacts: Our faculty members have had performance careers or are currently working in the industry. Start career networking in school by making important professional contacts.
- Small class sizes: There are, on average, about 20 students per class, meaning you don’t have to squeeze into the studio and you’ll receive plenty of guidance from faculty.
- Perform for the public: You’ll get opportunities to let your skills shine on stage before completing the program. Students perform at professional theatres and some students get the opportunity to tour with Ballet Jörgen .