Skip Navigation
Withdrawal/Refund Policy

this page George Brown on FacebookGeorge Brown Twitter FeedGeorge Brown YouTube channelGeorge 

Brown College Mobile Apps  
Program Comparison (0) About Program Comparison

Program Comparison Help

Decision-making made easy! This tool gives you a breakdown of individual programs offered at George Brown College and how they differ from other programs you’re interested in. Use this tool to select up to 10 programs to compare, helping you make the right choice for the career you want.

1. Under Program Comparison, click Add a New Program

2. Search for one of the programs you’re interested in (either alphabetically, by interest or by job)

3. Click on the title of the program in the menu

4. Click Add to Comparison

5. Continue searching for programs using steps 2-4

6. When you’re done, clicking Program Comparison will give you a preview of the programs and the option to delete, add or clear all

7. Open Program Compare for more details and an easy-to-read comparison of the programs you’ve selected

Change text size: A A A

Withdrawal/Refund Policy

(Effective: for May 2015 term withdrawals)

Please be advised that as per Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU) directive, the international student refund policy will be changed effective for September 2015 term.  From September 2015 term all withdrawal and refund requests will be administered according to the new policy. Details of the new policy will be published as soon as possible in 2015.

  • The College’s international refund and withdrawal policy is designed to be in compliance with Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities (MTCU) and Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) guidelines.
  • Applicants and students who have paid and accepted an offer (confirmed) and/or registered for a place in a GBC program are subject to this policy. The policy applies to full time and part time students.
  • Applicants who withdraw because they have not met the required conditions for program admission, will be required to pay the appropriate withdrawal fees.
  • A postsecondary level Study Permit (not high school) is required before beginning studies at the college level.
  • International students are responsible for ensuring that their Study Permit is valid while they are studying at George Brown College. Students whose Study Permits expire before the completion of their academic program - and who do not apply for a permit extension on time - cannot use an expired Study Permit or requirement for Study Permit restoration as a basis for a refund request after the refund deadline date has passed.
  • Before a refund can be processed, funds covering the tuition fee must be in your College account (i.e., cheques and money orders cleared or bank transfers received).
  • Refunds are made in Canadian currency and, therefore, the final amount that you may receive will depend on the foreign exchange rates at the time the refund is processed.  The College is not liable for loss of funds due to currency exchange.
  • Refunds will be paid within six (6) weeks of the receipt of a signed, type-written request form from the student with all required documentation attached.


  International Withdrawal Refund Form screenshot

You must apply by completing a signed, type-written GBC official Withdrawal/Refund Request Form on or before the deadline date or you will not be eligible for a refund. The fillable Withdrawal/Refund Request Form is available for download here and also from the GBC International Centre or ESL Office.

Deadlines are as follows:

English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program

Postsecondary Programs

Day 5 of the session

Day 10 of the semester

To ensure that students holding Study Permits are in compliance with the conditions of their permit, you will be required to provide one of the following to support your withdrawal/refund request:

  • A copy of a Letter of Acceptance from another designated educational institution; or
  • Proof of return to your home country (e.g., one way airline e-ticket or used boarding pass). Refund processing will begin after the departure date on e-ticket/boarding pass or
  • Letter of visa refusal from a Canadian Embassy or High Commission

If you are eligible for a refund, your refund will be sent to:

  • Your new education institution (or to you if you have already paid tuition and provided proof of payment) or
  • Your home country or
  • The person who paid tuition on your behalf.  If you are eligible for a refund and you want the refund paid to a third party (person other than yourself) who paid tuition on your behalf, we require your signed authorization to issue the refund to that person. Please provide the person’s complete contact information, including address and telephone number.


  • If this is the first session / semester of your program, and you have applied within the deadline date, you are eligible for a refund, less the non-refundable administrative fee

English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Program
Administrative Fee

Postsecondary (Diploma/Certificate/Degree Programs) Administrative Fee



  • If this is the second or higher session / semester of your program and you have applied within the deadline date, you are eligible for a refund, less the non-refundable administrative fee of $100
  • If you were refused a Visa, and you have requested a refund within the deadline date, you are eligible for a refund, less the non-refundable administrative fee of $100
  • If you paid, but did not confirm or register, you are eligible for a refund, less the $100 non-refundable administrative fee.
  • In all cases, the application fee of $65 is non-refundable
  • There are no refunds for Health Insurance fees after the withdrawal deadline date. Refunds may be issued before the deadline date if no claims have been made against the plan.

If you miss the deadline for withdrawal, you are not eligible to receive a refund.  However, if your withdrawal request is due to a serious medical or family emergency outside of your control, you may appeal to the Director, International Admissions & Student Services for consideration. Official documentation, such as a doctor’s certificate, is required to substantiate all claims of this nature.


If you are planning to postpone or skip a future semester/session, you must withdraw from your program before the deadline period and there will be a $100 administrative fee. However, if you do not withdraw before the deadline, you may be charged full fees. If you decide to return to the College, you must re-apply by completing a Re-Admission Form and submitting it your academic department for approval and pay the non-refundable $65 application fee.

For postsecondary programs, attendance is expected as follows:

  • September start programs: September to end of April, with a summer break from May to August.
  • January start programs:  There is no break in the first academic year. You are expected to attend from January to August, September to December, January to April, with a May to August break in the second academic year.
  • May start programs: You are expected to attend from May to August, September to December, and January to April in programs of 3 semesters or more.
  • Some special program may have different schedules from those noted above

Note:  As students holding Study Permits received their permit based on an Offer Letter issued by George Brown College, the College may be required to submit to the federal and provincial governments, information related to attendance and/or proof of progress in a program for all international students.  Such information sharing shall comply with applicable privacy legislation requirements.  Any change in study status (e.g., you are no longer studying at the College) may be updated with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as per the requirements of the International Student Program.