Skip Navigation
Study Permits and Visas

this page George Brown on FacebookGeorge Brown Twitter FeedGeorge Brown YouTube channelGeorge 

Brown College Mobile Apps  
Program Comparison (0) About Program Comparison

Program Comparison Help

Decision-making made easy! This tool gives you a breakdown of individual programs offered at George Brown College and how they differ from other programs you’re interested in. Use this tool to select up to 10 programs to compare, helping you make the right choice for the career you want.

1. Under Program Comparison, click Add a New Program

2. Search for one of the programs you’re interested in (either alphabetically, by interest or by job)

3. Click on the title of the program in the menu

4. Click Add to Comparison

5. Continue searching for programs using steps 2-4

6. When you’re done, clicking Program Comparison will give you a preview of the programs and the option to delete, add or clear all

7. Open Program Compare for more details and an easy-to-read comparison of the programs you’ve selected

Change text size: A A A

Study Permits and Visas

Changes to Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s International Student Program (Effective June 1, 2014)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has made changes to the International Student Program, which will take effect from June 1, 2014. Please refer to the CIC website to see how the changes impact you.

Study permit applicants must record the Designated Learning Institution (DLI) Number on their study permit applications after June 1, 2014.

George Brown College Designated Learning Institution (DLI) Number:  O19283850612
[Please note that the first character is a capital letter O and not a zero.]

The new rules will come into force on June 1, 2014. The rules will:

  • Limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution.
  • Require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada and to inform CIC through my CIC if transferring to a new institution.
  • Allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part time off campus and full time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

Read the full text of the new regulations If you have any questions about these changes, please call the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100


Please note that George Brown College staff are not authorized to provide advice or guidance on immigration-related matters. Students are solely responsible for ensuring that they are in compliance with all Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC) regulations at all times during their studies and while in Canada, including any medical or study and work permit-related requirements.  Applicants and students of George Brown College are recommended to consult the CIC website at Open New Browser Window or consult the CIC Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 to confirm or clarify immigration-related information and requirements.

Apply Online!

International Students must have valid documents to be able to stay and study in Canada.

Visitors, workers and students can apply online at for faster processing.

Electronic applications give CIC much more flexibility in moving case processing to offices with the capacity to handle them. Whenever possible, students are encouraged to apply online to extend their study permit, TRV, and/or apply or renew their work permits. If you have already submitted a paper application, please do not submit an electronic application as this will not speed up processing.

Important Reminders:

  • Submit a copy of your Study Permit to the International Centre upon arrival
  • Check your passport’s expiry date and renew it before you apply for any Canadian immigration documents
  • Apply online for Study Permit extension or Off-Campus Work Permit or Post-Graduation Work Permit or Co-op/Field Placement/Work Permit
  • Check the expiry date of your Study Permit and submit a renewal application online at least 90 days before expiry
  • You may be required to have a Temporary Resident Visa if you leave Canada and have plans to return
  • A Co-op Work Permit is required before you can start co-op, externship, work or practicum placements. Depending on your program, you may need to submit proof of a medical exam by a CIC Panel Physician
  • To be eligible to apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit, you must have a GPA of at least 2.0, have been studying full time for 6 months, and have no holds on your student account
  • Remember that graduating students only have 90 days from the date of their last day of classes to submit an application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. Depending on your field of work, you may need to submit proof of a medical exam by a CIC Panel Physician


[Back to top]