George Brown College equips students with the skills, industry experience and credentials to pursue the careers of their choice. Below, you’ll find several examples of how we’re fostering student success. For a detailed list of quick facts about the college, including enrolment, academic offerings and campus locations, download the full PDF by clicking on the Fast Facts front cover to the right.
George Brown College By The Numbers
george brown college by the numbers
- Continuing Education Registrants: 66,410
|Full-Time programs: 152
|Continuing Education Certificates/Designations: 243 For a more detailed breakdown of student, staff and program data, download the full PDF.
Providing Career Clarity
At George Brown College, we understand that career clarity for students is influenced by many factors throughout their lives. No matter our students' age or stage, we provide concrete information and accessible tools and services for them to confidently choose an area of focus and become highly employable, including the following:
Career Centre Advisors Working collaboratively with employers, students and faculty, the Career Centre uses a career education approach to guide and support students in developing the road map for their career journey. The experienced team works with students to ensure they understand their career options, their strengths, employability skills and effective job search strategies. This is accomplished using a variety of tools including; online resume and interview tools, interest, values and skills assessment tools, program tailored workshops and opportunities for students to connect with employers.
Liaison Officers are often a prospective student's first point of contact with George Brown. Speaking at college fairs, Adult Learning Centres, high schools, community organizations and local recruitment and career events, our experienced liaison officers share tips on choosing a program and career, financing post-secondary education, preparing for college and much more. They also provide campus tours, and work with guidance counsellors to ensure high school students have access to the decision-making resources they need.
Entry Advisors help prospective students identify the program options that best align with their educational background and career goals, in addition to answering questions about educational pathways, academic upgrading and how to get credit for prior learning.
Career Coach is an online tool that provides up-to-date labour market information for the Greater Toronto Area, including salaries, employment growth projections, current job opportunities and related programs offered at George Brown. Career Coach enables users to gain a clear understanding of the job prospects in a given field before they begin their post-secondary experience, so they can choose their path based on real-world intelligence. Learn more at cc.georgebrown.ca .
Evolving Program Options
George Brown launched a number of new programs in 2016 to meet the needs of employers and our students in the following areas:
- Acting for Media: The Acting for Media program moves past just acting for film and television and comprises training needed to succeed as a screen actor whether for film, television, online, game, or interactive mediums.
- Concept Art for Entertainment: Concept art is an important component in conceptualizing and driving the production process of video, games and film. This 12-month graduate certificate will expand artists’ techniques and creativity, to transform written ideas into visual experiences.
- Consulting graduate certificate program: This program prepares students for a career in consulting that could include working for a consulting firm, independently creating their own employment, or securing a business development role within an organization.
- Honours Bachelor of Behaviour Analysis: This program combines philosophy, methodology and theory with a strong applied learning component to create a comprehensive understanding of behavioural psychology and more specifically, Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA).
- Honours Bachelor of Interpretation American Sign Language – English: This program is the first degree of its kind in Canada. Developed to address the growing demand for qualified Sign Language Interpreters, this degree helps prepare graduates for work in this dynamic field.
- Media Foundation: The Media Foundation program offers students the chance to explore a variety of media career options while developing the skills necessary to succeed in diploma and advanced diploma media programs.
- Visual Effects: In George Brown College’s Visual Effects graduate certificate program, students will expand upon concepts and techniques in 3D animation, motion graphics, or audio/video editing for film and television.
New programs starting in 2017:
- Video Design and Production: George Brown College’s Video Design & Production diploma program will expose students to traditional film techniques as well as new technologies such as photography, dronography, GoPro and immersive environments.