Frequently Asked Questions About Transfer Guide and Exemptions

What is Transfer Credit?

Courses taken previously at one institution and are credited toward a degree or diploma at another institution. At George Brown we indicate the credit transfer as an "Exemption".

You may also visit Transfer Guide for more information regarding course to course and block transfer credits. Through this Transfer Guide, students are able to make informed decisions about credit transfer in Ontario.

Who benefits from Transfer Credit?

College or University students who want to change Institutions, change programs or want to get another credential.

Do you have a list of Eligible Transfer Credit courses?

Yes, we have posted a tool of eligible courses for transfer to George Brown from other Ontario Institutions. You must meet the minimum grade required to be granted an Exemption. The minimum grade is the higher of the College standard as described above or Program course requirement. The courses listed here may not be applicable for your specific program. Check your program requirements prior to applying for an exemption.  

What if the course I took is not listed here?

The list is a working database; it is not comprehensive of all eligible exemptions. If you have taken a course that you would like to transfer to George Brown, apply for an exemption. This list will be updated throughout the year.

What is an Exemption?

A student may be granted an exemption from a prescribed George Brown College course if a student can show that they have successfully completed an equivalent course at another academic institution.

How do I qualify?

Credits for previous courses depend on the following: Achieving a minimum grade, Applying for an Exemption, When the course was completed & Institutional residency policies.

Course Completion date: Please note that the date you completed the course is a factor in determining the transferability of the course. In most cases we can accept courses completed up to 5 years back. If you took a course ten years ago, the content may be out-of-date now and not applicable to the current curriculum. In some specialized programs, the time-limit is 2 years. Contact the Academic department for time limits on the program you are interested in transferring credits to.

How do I know which of my previous courses are transferrable?

We have a guide to assist you with determining if one of your previous courses can be transferred to George Brown.  What Transfer Credits Should I Apply For provides you with the information and links you need to make your decision, including what courses can be used for general education electives and liberal studies electives.

How do I apply for an exemption?

New and current students must submit an online application to transfer their credits from another post-secondary institution to George Brown College. If you are approved for transfer credit(s), you will then be exempted from completing the equivalent course(s) at George Brown.

To access the online Application for Transfer Credit, you must first accept your offer of admission. Then you may log in to your STU-VIEW account and select Registration Services > Registration > Submit or Modify an Application for Transfer Credit.

In order to evaluate your application, we will require the following:

  • Official transcripts
  • Detailed course outlines
  • A valid e-mail address

Important Notes:

  • The online application will open approximately two months prior to the start of each term. The last day to apply for transfer credits is the first day of the term.
  • Be sure to register for—or remain registered in—the course(s) you are applying to be exempted from. This way, you will be properly registered in your program’s required courses should your application for transfer credit be denied. Be sure to attend all classes until your exemption has been approved.
  • On average, students can have two exemptions in any one term before dropping to part-time status, which can impact tuition fees and OSAP eligibility.

For detailed instructions, please visit the How to Apply for Transfer Credits Online webpage.
For non-academic exemptions, please visit the PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) webpage.

How is an exemption grade granted?

Students will be assigned a grade of EX for exempted courses. The EX grade(s) will not be calculated in the Grade Point Average (G.P.A) but will be used in your CAPP Credential Audit (where eligible).

For students with advanced standing admissions, see "What are Block Credits?".

What is Institutional Residency?

Full-time Programs: Twenty-five percent (25%) of the declared program of study must be earned at George Brown College. George Brown College – Academic Policies and Guidelines OFFICE OF THE REGISTRAR POLICIES – Page 4 Reviewed and Approved: Board of Governors June 10, 2009

Continuing Education: Programs eligible for George Brown College certificates,
Fifty percent (50%) of the declared program of study must be earned at George Brown College.

Do Exemptions affect my fees or OSAP?

Students on average can have two exemptions in any one term before dropping to part-time status, thereby affecting tuition fees, and OSAP eligibility. Normally a full-time student is defined as a student who is taking 66 2/3% of the courses required in a given semester. You may have to return an OSAP loan if your status changes to part-time (less than 60% course load). Each program and semester may have different requirements. To calculate your specific case, see the Student Service Centre.

Can I take another course in place of the one I received an exemption for?

You may be eligible to register in another full-time post-secondary course that has the same number of hours at no additional charge.  Please contact your Academic Department for assistance and advising.

What is Advanced Standing?

A student applying for advance standing is applying for admission to a program of study to a semester higher than semester one. Advance standing provides block credits for previous courses taken in a related area of study to a student upon admission, which enables direct entry to the second semester or higher of a program.  Click here for more information on how to apply for Advance Standing or contact the Admissions Office at 416 415-5000 ext. 4805 or see policy on Advanced Standing: Office of the Registrar Policies.

What are Block Credits?

A group of courses taken at one institution is equivalent to a group of courses at another institution. This leads to entry to a semester higher than semester one. This is defined in an Articulation Agreement between the sending and receiving institutions.

Advanced Standing is noted as a grade of 'AS'. You do not need to register for these courses; they will be included in your CAPP- Credential Evaluation once processed.

Do I need to apply for an exemption if I have been granted an Advanced Standing?

In most cases your required courses are waived by your Academic department after you have registered in your program, see Register Now! for details. If there are additional courses you feel you could receive an exemption for, you can submit an Application for Course Exemption, see above for details.

What is an Articulation Agreement?

An articulation agreement is a formal agreement between institutions that allows transfer of credits from a specific program at one institution to be applied towards Advanced standing or direct entry at another institution.  These are routes that students can take to move between different programs, institutions and credentials i.e. 1st year of a Business program at one institution may apply towards the first year of a similar Business program at another institution.

Can I transfer to other college or universities from George Brown?

A George Brown College diploma is a passport to further education at many local, national and international postsecondary institutions. The Transfer Guide  contains current transfer agreements and opportunities for George Brown College graduates and will be subject to change as new agreements and revisions occur.

Internal Credit Transfer

Course to Course: If you were previously in a full-time program or have taken courses in Continuing education, you may be able to use these credits towards your new program. You can use your CAPP – Credential Evaluation or "What-If" analysis tools to help determine transferability to the new program.

You may then contact your Academic Department to discuss the courses that are transferable. Once the courses have been determined, you would need to drop them from your schedule. You can do this through STU-VIEW.

Program to Program: There are a number of George Brown programs with articulation agreements to other George Brown Programs. You can view this information in the Admissions Program Availability page, under "Careers and Post-Graduate Study Opportunities - Future Study Options".

Who can I contact if I need more information?

For policy and procedures information email or call our Contact Centre at 416-415-2000. For course equivalency information or for specific program information, contact the respective Academic Department.

Additional Links