Do you want to get involved in campus life? Are you looking for volunteer opportunities?
George Brown’s Student Leadership Academy (SLA) is a great way to meet people around the college and develop the soft skills employers tell us they value such as communication, team work, work ethic, customer service and problem solving.
The SLA is open to all full-time George Brown College students. You can join at any time of year.
The benefits of joining the Student Leadership Academy
- It's a great way to get involved in the college community and enhance your student experience.
- There are many opportunities to network and meet students and staff from around the college.
- Gain volunteer experience at on and off-campus events such as orientation, service fairs, academic workshops and more.
- Provides eligibility for an invite to the annual Student Leadership Retreat (SLRetreat).
The Student Leadership Retreat
The annual Student Leadership Retreat (SLRetreat) is an all-expenses* paid, overnight leadership training seminar that happens over three days every August. It is exclusive to SLA members.
*All expenses includes programming, accommodations, meals, and transportation.
What you can expect at SLRetreat
- Indoor and outdoor team building activities, including high and low ropes courses and fun games
- Motivational George Brown and YMCA Cedar Glen facilitators
- Fun activities, workshops and much more!
Each student leader receives a certificate of completion for attending the SLRetreat. Student leaders are also eligible to become a team captain to lead groups at the following year's SLRetreat—a great opportunity to exhance your soft skills, beef up
your resume, get ahead of the pack and get references from George Brown College.
Qualifications for an invite to the SLRetreat
We are looking for exceptional George Brown students. You must be a full-time student currently registered in a diploma or degree program.
SLA members must:
- Demonstrate respect for all individuals and the environment
- Display a willingness to help others
- Attend one of our information sessions hosted by the Student Life Team
- Have contributed to on-campus initiatives and/or events
- Volunteer during the 2018 fall orientation
Register for the SLA
You can register for the Student Leadership Academy by completing an online form at georgebrown.ca/studentleadershipacademy/register.
For any further inquiries, please contact Manager Student Life Joe Stapleton at (416) 415-5000 ext. 3700 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org .