The evolution of information and communication technologies is transforming the health-care system and creating new ways of accessing and exchanging information that will impact the health-care sector. Health-care and information systems professionals currently employed or with experience in a health-care or technology environment, or who have an interest in the advancement of information technologies in the health-care delivery sector, will be interested in this program.
The Health Informatics graduate certificate program brings together professionals in health-related and information technology sectors to develop specialists in health informatics who can respond to the current and emerging needs of health-care systems. This intensive program is designed for IT, health-care or related professionals who aspire to enter into a health informatician/analyst role, or practitioners who wish to enhance their experience with formal education. Participants will be engaged and supported by a team of health informatician/business system analyst professionals and faculty in developing critical skills and competencies in the areas of:
- Health-care systems, technologies and trends
- Ethical, professional, legal and policy implications of health information systems technologies and health information standards
- Problem identification and analysis
- Documenting and analyzing health-care organization, health-user and solution requirements
- Process, workflow and system/solution modelling
- Project management
- Technical writing
- Leadership and management
- Business and system analysis techniques and core-professional competencies such as analytical thinking and problem solving, communication and facilitation, and interactional skills.
The Health Informatics program provides breadth and depth of applied knowledge in the field of health informatics. A key characteristic that sets this graduate certificate program apart is the applied nature of the curriculum. Students will be immersed in the process of health informatics/analysis through case studies, industry projects, and practical work experience, and will be responsible for developing solutions. The uniqueness of this program is in creating graduates with work-ready skills built through applied, hands-on experience.
Graduates of the program will have acquired knowledge, skills and competencies relevant to professional certification programs in Health Informatics/Information and Management Systems.
Graduates will be able to:
- Formulate change strategies to implement appropriate health information systems technologies (HIST) within the health-care setting.
- Apply business and system analysis techniques to evaluate the effectiveness of health information systems technologies within a health-related setting.
- Integrate relevant standards and professional, ethical and legislative requirements with the appropriate health information system technologies.
- Design training and education for the effective use of HIST.
Partnerships with International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®)
Academic Membership offers colleges and universities that have Business Analyst curriculums and who care about advancing the Business Analyst profession within their student population to participate in IIBA® membership and benefit from IIBA®’s other products and services.
The Academic recognition programs offer the students of business analyst-related programs the opportunity to receive recognition from the IIBA.
About the IIBA® Academic Certificate
The T402 Health Informatics program integrates core foundational concepts, techniques, and professional competencies as defined within the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK®). Graduates of this program with an average of at least 77% will be eligible to receive the IIBA® Academic Certificate in Business Analysis. The IIBA® Academic Certificate in Business Analysis provides an opportunity for anyone considering a career in business analysis with the ability to gain a comprehensive understanding of the fundamentals of the business analyst practice.
To learn more about the IIBA® Academic Certificate in Business Analysis, please visit the IIBA's website.