Welcome to Canada's centre for education in Food and Restaurant Management.
Take your career to the next level with an education that combines hands-on, experiential learning with exposure to today’s Food & Restaurant Management leaders.
In this four-semester diploma program, you will build knowledge in the areas of wine, beer, cocktails and the art of eating and dining. You will expand on these fundamentals with an understanding of food and beverage cost control, financial success, service
leadership and human resources management – all the areas of successful restaurant management.
During your studies, you will apply your understanding of theory through unique learning techniques and invaluable practical experience. You will have the opportunity to:
- Take over The Chefs’ House, our state-of-the-art restaurant and learning facility, where you will manage all aspects of operations including designing and selling tickets, working with industry partners, performing cost analysis and
designing the food and beverage menu in partnership with our culinary students.
- Embark on an educational, virtual adventure via our Restaurant Simulation, where you will revitalize and transform a failing restaurant into a profitable enterprise by using decision making, management and financial planning skills.
- Brew your own beer and learn about the brewing process through our hands-on Beer Tasting, Brewing and Theory course.
- Join a European Travel Tour (optional) with your peers and experience unique cultures, cuisine, languages and history while learning from our international industry partners.
- Gain real-world food and restaurant management experience through a 14-week, local or international field placement in your final semester.
To further develop your network and connection to the industry, you will have the opportunity to interact with industry leaders from the Hospitality and Culinary sectors via our:
- Annual Student/Industry Networking Events.
- Annual Career Fair for both permanent and temporary career opportunities.
- Local tours of Food & Restaurant Management leaders in the heart of downtown Toronto.
If you are ready to embark on an exciting career in the Food and Restaurant Management industry, this program will open your mind to a world of possibilities.
This program has been accredited by the acclaimed Institute of Hospitality, the professional body for individual managers and aspiring managers working and studying in the hospitality, leisure and tourism (HLT) industry. The Institute is also the authoritative
international body in the field of Accreditation and Endorsement for hospitality, leisure and tourism programs of learning.
Build your skills during a 14-week industry externship in your fourth semester. George Brown works with employers and industry partners to identify potential work experience opportunities. Students are also strongly encouraged to pursue self-directed industry work experience opportunities they believe would provide the learning experiences they value and meet the learning outcomes of the program. This valuable work experience can in turn be added to your resume.
In addition to more formal on-the-job work experience, George Brown College endeavours to provide learning opportunities with real-world challenges and clients. Find out more about field education at the Centre for Hospitality and Culinary Arts.