Physical health: Keeping healthy can be as simple as 1, 2, 3.
1.Take care of your nutrition:
- Eat 3 meals a day plus nutritious snacks.
- Balance your plate: increase your daily intake of vegetables and fruits while eating an appropriate amount of grains, starches and proteins.
- Avoid processed foods and sugars.
- Drink less coffee and more water.
- Buy fresh produce from the Good Food Market at your campus.
2. Be active:
Experts recommend that you need about 2½ hours of moderate to vigorous physical activity every week. You don’t have to join a gym—even brisk walking or riding a bike is good for our heart and your muscles. And 10 minutes at a time is enough.
Pick a time. Pick a place. Make a plan and move more!
Here are some ideas:
- Walk or bike to school
- Go to the gym
- Join a school team
- Take the stairs
- Do simple stretching exercises
Learn more about the Canadian Physical Activity Guidelines or visit the George Brown Athletics website for more information about how to stay active.
Most people do not get enough sleep. You should be averaging 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
Mental Health: Staying calm, focused and alert is key.
Ways to reduce stress:
- Pay attention for signs of stress in your body.
- Your emotions are also a strong indicator of stress.
- Identify activities that help to reduce your stress.
- Ensure your body is getting proper sleep and nutrition.
- Talk it out and ask for help.
- Take deep breaths to calm your mind and body
Don’t let stress take over when preparing for tests
Tests and exams can be particularly stressful, and we know that too much stress can be harmful. Did you know that by simply petting an animal can reduce stress. The St. John’s Ambulance therapy dogs are here to help. Drop by for a visit.
Download our Dealing with Test Stress and Anxiety
Consider meditation or yoga:
Breathing and stretching can help you focus, relax and sleep better. As a bonus, it can boost your immune system to keep you healthier throughout the school year. Peerconnect offers drop-in Breathing, Stretching and Relaxation workshops.