The college application process can be a bit of a rollercoaster ride. From deciding to attend college to choosing the right school and then applying, there’s a lot to consider. With that in mind, here are the five emotional stages you may feel when
applying to college:
- EXCITEMENT: Oh wow! There are so many choices! I can’t wait to apply. Look out, college world – I’m ready for you.
GBC Tip: Ontariocolleges.ca (Ontario College Application Service) has a new mobile app that can help make the application process easier.
- OVERWHELMED: Oh wow – there are so. many. choices! I don’t even know what I’m doing this weekend, how am I supposed to know what I want to do for the rest of my life?
GBC Tip: You’re about to make some big decisions but we can help. Make an Entry Advising appointment and we’ll go over all of your options. Or try Career Coach, our online tool with access to up-to-date labour market information for the Greater Toronto Area, to research what kind of career you want. You can also register for one of our Info Sessions.
- PROCRASTINATION: I’ve picked my schools and my programs, so I’m on application easy street. I’ll fill it out…later. Yes, Netflix, I’m still here…
GBC Tip: You still have time, but don’t leave your application too late. February 1 is known as the equal consideration date. This is the deadline if you want your application to be considered on equal basis with all other applicants. After February 1, colleges consider applicants on a first-come, first-served basis. You’ll also want to dedicate some attention to your OSAP application (if required). And don’t forget, some programs have supplementary parts like auditions and portfolio reviews, so make sure you’ve allotted time for those. For specific program requirements, please see the program page.
- ANXIETY: In hindsight, maybe I should have spent more time on my application rather than binging Queer Eye. What if my application wasn’t good enough? What if I don’t get in? This is way more stressful than I thought it was going to be…
GBC Tip: Don’t worry — you’ll get an acknowledgment of your application by mail five to 10 days after applying. Then you’ll be able to track your application online.
- ACCEPTANCE: “Congratulations and welcome to George Brown College!” Wait, you mean I got in?!
GBC Tip: We’re so excited for you, but first you need to accept your offer. We’ll see you soon!
Jokes aside, we know applying to college is a big deal. Check out our How to Apply guide to learn more about the process and get in touch if you need help.